Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Camera Phones At Work?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

Poll: What are the restrictions on camera phones at work (83 member(s) have cast votes)

What are the restrictions on camera phones at work

1. I have camera phone restrictions where I work. (21 votes [25.30%])

Percentage of vote: 25.30%

2. I know someone who has camera phone restrictions at their job. (10 votes [12.05%])

Percentage of vote: 12.05%

3. I have, and I know other companies locally, who have camera phone restrictions at work. (10 votes [12.05%])

Percentage of vote: 12.05%

4. I do not have, nor do I know anyone who has, camera phone restrictions at work (42 votes [50.60%])

Percentage of vote: 50.60%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 OFFLINE   afulkerson

afulkerson

MI Citizen Corps Vol of Year

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 08:06 AM

The courthouse in Detroit does not allow cell phone with camera's into the courthouse. They look at every cell phone that comes into the building.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 11:29 AM

We don;t allow cell phones into the building at all, all cell phones are checked with security when the people report to work. Violation of the policy is a single strike - one warning, second time termination

#23 OFFLINE   SteveHas

SteveHas

Hall of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 12:01 PM

We are a producer (printer) of secured High School, and College testing material, as well as some HIPPA info.
As such there are severe limits on cell phone cameras for employees, and visitors.
Certain managers may carry, most can not.
Visitors must leave theirs with the receptionist.

Edited by SteveHas, 01 October 2010 - 01:59 PM.

#24 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,643 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 12 October 2010 - 04:03 PM

Technology typically moves at a different speed than government and management. We always have to worry about managers who fear smartphones and Congressmen who try to make plastic guns and dinosaur cloning illegal.

As is usually the case, the problem is the person, the "solution" is to go after the item.

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI
HP Touchsmart IQ 846 (Windows 8) for DirecTV2PC and Media Share

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#25 ONLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,171 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 12 October 2010 - 04:22 PM

I don't know if my company has any restrictions as the issue has never come up. However, Mrs. Fluffybear works for someone who has extremely strict rules including a "No Cell Phone policy".

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q3 2014 Set-Up

#26 OFFLINE   db758

db758

• Registered
  • 1 posts
  • Locationtx

Posted 04 June 2013 - 09:11 PM

I work for an engineering contractor for oil companies. I have worked for many different clients, and I don't know of any that allow cameras. Many locations employ 4000 + employee/contractors. Most people keep their phones hidden from security, and get away with it. It still remains a terminating offense if caught. Not worth it to me. I have been using a pay as you go, but even they are discontinuing cameraless phones.

#27 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,203 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 05 June 2013 - 04:28 AM

I work on an Air Force Base.  As you can imagine, some areas are VERY restricted.  I wish I could show a picture of one sign outside a secure conference room, though.  It had several pictures of all the devices that were NOT allowed in the room - pagers, cameras, phones, thumb drives, memory cards, etc, on the right side with a caption stating these were not allowed.  On the left side it had a picture of a circus monkey riding a dog in a tutu with the caption 'THIS is allowed'.

#28 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,582 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:03 AM

On the left side it had a picture of a circus monkey riding a dog in a tutu with the caption 'THIS is allowed'.

That just means the Generals and their aides can go in.

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#29 OFFLINE   Holydoc

Holydoc

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts
  • LocationPanhandle, FL

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:57 AM

I also work on an Air Force base.  All cell phones, computers, thumb drives, mp3s, and any other type of recording device must be checked into security before entering the main part of my building.  Most of these "knee-jerk" reactions were caused by fears of people selling information.

Edited by Holydoc, 05 June 2013 - 07:01 AM.

#30 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,979 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:43 PM

Another confirmation that I made the right move by retiring.

Sent from my MB520 using DBSTalk mobile app

#31 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,740 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 06 June 2013 - 10:46 AM

The rules at my work are not consistent.

For example - cameras and SD card / USB drives are not allowed, but you can take your cell phone with a camera (doesn't need to be a smartphone) in, as long as you don't take pictures. Ipods/ MP3 players also prohibited, but you can bring your music in on your phone.

OTOH - if they wanted to totally prohibit cell phones - I can imagine the outcry  - provide us a secure place to put our cell phones and other prohibited items.

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#32 OFFLINE   machavez00

machavez00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,617 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, Arizona

Posted 06 June 2013 - 01:47 PM

I know at least one Nudist resort that restricts all cell phones to an out-of-the-way area that is visually blocked from the other areas of the resort.

Camera phones are also restricted at gyms. (Bally's, 24 Hour, etc)

#33 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 13,882 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 09:49 AM

Why can't we get a smart phone without a camera?  Locally, AT&T will disable it and give me a letter but it isn't really disabled.  It's just a pin number that restricts access but they give the number to the customer.  

What's needed is a smart phone without a camera installed.  I have a Samsung Captivate that I pulled the camera out of and swap my SIM card into when I go to work.  It works but isn't ideal.  I wonder how long the SIM card will stand up the daily swaps.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#34 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:00 AM

I have several business and government clients.  I have never been asked to relinquish my phone anywhere.  Probably has to do with me being the guy that installed the security cameras, what's the point in hassling me about it ??   (city government, county jail, court house, hospital, nursing home, bars, realtors, restaurants, etc)

LOL, I do tend to erase security camera footage of me working on the cameras, I don't want extreme closeups of my nose out in the world!  I also erased footage recently of me going ass over tea kettle after leaning on a rickety fence.  It WAS funny, but I have my dignity.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...