Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Need help. 2 HDTV's and receiver setup

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   funky977

funky977

AllStar

• Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 12:08 PM

I need some help. I'm not familiar with Dish Network's receiver setup (helping my parents) so please excuse me if I ask some stupid questions. First, TV locations are HD tube TV in the living room and a HD flat panel LCD in the bedroom.
Currently they have SD in front and back with the back just hooked up thru coax. I called Dish to upgrade to HD and mentioned this setup and they said my parents would only need one box in the living (which I found to be a bit odd since I would think the HD needs to come thru the HDMI cord on a new receiver).
So my question(s) are:
1. Am I correct in assuming they will now need two HD boxes (one HD DVR in the living room and a HD receiver for the bedroom)?
2. If so, which boxes do I get for them to watch their HD DVR'd shows in the bedroom.
3. Any suggestions on an easier setup?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Matt

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 12:14 PM

Dish doesn't have dual HD outputs. Your choices are a 722k Duo (HD TV1, SD TV2 output), two 722ks, or what a lot of us have, a 722 and a 211k in the bedroom with the one time $40 USB hard drive DVR fee.

If they don't care as much about HD in the bedroom, the 722 running in single mode will output HD-scaled SD on TV2.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#3 OFFLINE   funky977

funky977

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 53 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 02:54 PM

What exactly is the $39.99 fee for, is it to gain access to the HD DVR thru the 211K?

#4 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 04:17 PM

The fee pays for the software to convert the 211 and 211k receivers into DVRs using a customer-supplied external hard drive. The advantage is there's no monthly DVR fee.

Dish receivers do not currently have the ability to share programs.
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

Protected By... spam firewall...And...