Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Any way possible to disable the searching for signal message to use On Demand Service

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   J Blow

J Blow

Legend

• Registered
  • 250 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 04:02 PM

I think the title lays out my question. The background is that I have moved into an apartment that will not let me install the dish and, of course, I have already paid for the football package so I didn't want to discontinue my services (or even suspend them so I can watch the games online at the very least). In the mean time, I started wondering if I could still use the Video on Demand feature so I hooked up my receiver. Of course I can't go anywhere on the menu because it's constantly looking for a signal.

There simply has to be a workaround, correct? As a google pro, I'm having no luck finding any answers.

Thanks.

#2 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,570 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 29 September 2010 - 07:23 PM

I'm not aware of any way to do that. These things are pretty much boat anchors when there's no satellite feed.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#3 OFFLINE   Codfishjoe

Codfishjoe

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 08:22 PM

well...you could press list to access recordings...possibly just try to tune to channel 1000 or 1100 to access the on demand content. worth a shot.
I am not really a codfish.

#4 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 08:29 PM

The background is that I have moved into an apartment that will not let me install the dish.

Are they saying no completely to installing the dish or just not installing it in a common use area? If you put it on a porch, patio, balcony or other "exclusive use area"...they can't restrict you.

www.DIRECTV.com/FCC

#5 OFFLINE   snowtrooper1966

snowtrooper1966

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 07:55 AM

I was able to force playback of recorded programming on a HR22 using the list button when a disconnected unit was searching for signal, but NOT with same receiver that was connected when service was shut off due to late payment for roomates system....
HR24-200 & H24-700
Denon 3808ci 7.1
Samsung HLS 6187W 61'' DLP
Oppo BDP 83 BluRay
SWiM / DECA / MRV

I have a SITH sense...I see DARTH people

#6 OFFLINE   J Blow

J Blow

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 250 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 10:57 AM

Thanks for the reponses, guys. I think this confirms what I suspected - it's just a no go. After I thought more about this I think it' actually needs the satellite feed to access the guide information in order to see what information I am able to download...if that makes sense.

As far as setting up a dish, it's hard to explain but trust me when I say there is NOWHERE that I can obtain a signal. My apartment is on the lower level of a two story building which runs North and South with me being right in the middle. It has no decks and the only area that I have that's even close to being called a 'private area' doesn't have a southerly view. Ya, this totally sucks but I was in a tight spot in looking for a place. Come March I'm gone for sure!

#7 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,565 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 12:52 PM

Also note that without the satellite signal, you'd have no guide data, including VOD. So you wouldn't be able to select a program to download.

And the question I have is why did you move to that apartment? :D
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#8 OFFLINE   J Blow

J Blow

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 250 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 03:37 PM

Yes, the answer to this hit me in the post above yours and I agree 100%.

As far as to why, it was my best option. I took a new job and had a temporary residence for two weeks while looking for another place. I still own two houses in other places so needed to buy some time. I had 1 day left to find a place to live in a place that has very few options during this time of year. I've got a 9 month lease so hopefully by then I'll have a better option...or a couple fewer houses.

I now have a plan for Sundays if nothing else....I will mount the dish in the back of my pickup for the NFL games. Pictures to follow! :D

#9 OFFLINE   J Blow

J Blow

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 250 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 03:38 PM

By the way, I'd too echo that it's not hard to watch prerecorded programs on units with no sat signal.

spam firewall