Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Any way possible to disable the searching for signal message to use On Demand Service

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   J Blow

J Blow

Legend

• Registered
  • 250 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 05:23 PM

I'll try this here since I think I may have put it in the wrong spot after looking at the other topics.

I think the title lays out my question. The background is that I have moved into an apartment that will not let me install the dish and, of course, I have already paid for the football package so I didn't want to discontinue my services (or even suspend them so I can watch the games online at the very least). In the mean time, I started wondering if I could still use the Video on Demand feature so I hooked up my receiver. Of course I can't go anywhere on the menu because it's constantly looking for a signal.

There simply has to be a workaround, correct? As a google pro, I'm having no luck finding any answers.

Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Kevin F

Kevin F

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 07:03 PM

On the searching for signal screen with the dtv logo, hit exit on the remote and it should work

#3 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,556 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 29 September 2010 - 07:33 PM

It won't work for long. You need an active satellite feed or the DVR will eventually become a boat anchor.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#4 OFFLINE   J Blow

J Blow

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 250 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 03:41 PM

This has been discussed in another area but I thought I'd post here about it for others - and to let those know it's been unsatisfactorily resolved.

After thinking about it, I realized it's necessary to have the guide (which is downloaded via sat signal) in order to actually choose the program to start downloading.

What a kick in the goat sack.

#5 OFFLINE   Manctech

Manctech

Icon

• Registered
  • 542 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 04:13 PM

This has been discussed in another area but I thought I'd post here about it for others - and to let those know it's been unsatisfactorily resolved.

After thinking about it, I realized it's necessary to have the guide (which is downloaded via sat signal) in order to actually choose the program to start downloading.

What a kick in the goat sack.

Do you have a window facing southwest with a LOS. [(Line of Site) No tree's/ Other buildings] I've heard of people paying for D* just for the sunday ticket, and setting up a dish on a tripod at the window on sundays. They also were not allowed to put a dish outside.

Just a thought :)

TWC Technician (Huntersville, Cornelius, Davidson Area)

#6 OFFLINE   J Blow

J Blow

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 250 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 04:32 PM

Do you have a window facing southwest with a LOS. [(Line of Site) No tree's/ Other buildings] I've heard of people paying for D* just for the sunday ticket, and setting up a dish on a tripod at the window on sundays. They also were not allowed to put a dish outside.

Just a thought :)

If I thought I could make this work I'd have a satellite pointing out my window for the rest of my stay! I have only East and West facing windows unfortunately. I may still see if I can tilt the sat enough to get a signal through the window.

#7 OFFLINE   Manctech

Manctech

Icon

• Registered
  • 542 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 06:21 PM

If I thought I could make this work I'd have a satellite pointing out my window for the rest of my stay! I have only East and West facing windows unfortunately. I may still see if I can tilt the sat enough to get a signal through the window.

If you don't have southwest, then theres not much you can do. You can always use

www.dishpointer.com

Input your address and move the point to your exact apartment. Good luck!

TWC Technician (Huntersville, Cornelius, Davidson Area)

spam firewall