Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

VIP622 6.30 new this morning

l630

• Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   DAG

DAG

Legend

• Registered
  • 224 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 05:45 AM

New colors on the guide, but not sure what else is new. As usual, the auto channel tune didn't fire off this AM, so I knew that a new software must have spooled.
Model 622, replaced once by DISH in Feb., 2006

Software L635
Dual mode

OTAs via large antenna in attic
Panasonic 42" plasma industrial grade monitor
Component video via Audio Authority AA1154A component switcher
Toslink switched/converted to coax via AA1554A
Bose Lifestyle 20 using coax digital audio

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   47HO

47HO

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 06:51 AM

I noticed the RECORD menu look changed, and that some entries for CheckSwitch had been added to the Diagnostics screens.

#3 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• Registered
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 02:18 PM

What do you see different for L630 in the Record menu?
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#4 OFFLINE   bobukcat

bobukcat

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 02:50 PM

I haven't had a chance to go through too many of the menus yet but I immediately noticed the menu when you hit the DVR button one time is completely different - and in my limited (one time) experience with it I wasn't too crazy about it. It looks very "blocky" and it appears this was done to help promote VOD movies as it shows 4 or 6 (can't remember) "Available Titles", each in it's only box at the bottom left of the screen. I'll have to take it for a few more spins later this evening and see what else has changed.

#5 OFFLINE   kucharsk

kucharsk

Godfather

• Registered
  • 473 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 05:05 PM

I got this on one of my two 722s as well; the other is still 6.29.

Most annoying are the ads for the PPV movies on the new screen and all the on-demand features being flogged including "Midnight Cinema" (adult.)

Frankly it makes me feel like I'm watching a hotel TV. :-)

#6 OFFLINE   GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 05:43 PM

I got this on one of my two 722s as well; the other is still 6.29.

Most annoying are the ads for the PPV movies on the new screen and all the on-demand features being flogged including "Midnight Cinema" (adult.)

Frankly it makes me feel like I'm watching a hotel TV. :-)

Can you still disable them by going into the Menu and selecting, System Setup, Installation, TV Enhancements, and disable the banner in the guide?

I just did a check switch and still only have 6.29.

#7 OFFLINE   kucharsk

kucharsk

Godfather

• Registered
  • 473 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 04:10 AM

I also did a check and the software revision on my 722 is actually L670.

BTW, you can lock out the adult channels of course but there's no way to not get the PPV ads when you first hit the "DVR" button.

#8 OFFLINE   47HO

47HO

Mentor

• Registered
  • 49 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 07:15 AM

What do you see different for L630 in the Record menu?

Oops, I meant the DVR button.

#9 OFFLINE   bnborg

bnborg

Icon

• Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 12:49 PM

I also did a check and the software revision on my 722 is actually L670.

I think it must be a 722K. :confused:
Dish Network VIP722k - Gold 250 + HD/Platinum
110,119, and 129 on Dish 1000.2
Dynex (BestBuy) 42" HDTV, Onkyo TX-SR303 Receiver

#10 OFFLINE   kucharsk

kucharsk

Godfather

• Registered
  • 473 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 01:11 PM

Sorry for the quality, they're off-screen photos.

My DVR is not a 722K, it's a 722, and only one of my two 722s has downloaded the update at this point; the other is still at L629.

Top menu, when you press the "DVR" button:

Posted Image

DISH Cinema:

Posted Image

TV Shows:

Posted Image

Midnight Lounge:

Posted Image

#11 OFFLINE   AVJohnnie

AVJohnnie

Icon

• Registered
  • 508 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 05:13 PM

My two 622 receivers had been working perfectly ~ and fortunately for me the one that's still on L629 still is working properly. Both were still on L629 yesterday and both were used for several hours last evening without any problems.

Today I woke to find this new L630 version installed on one of the 622s. That receiver has not functioned correctly since, apparently having updated itself sometime during the night. Hopefully those of you with 722s are having better results with this new version than I’m having with it on my 622.

The afflicted receiver now locks up and fails to respond to remote and front panel button commands after 20 to 40 minutes of operation (that is, displaying a watchable picture). If left alone it eventually reboots itself. When this happens the reboot cycle takes from 10 to 15 minutes to complete.

For the approximate half-hour that it manages to keep a picture displayed, it responds very sluggishly to any button commands from the remote. This ultimately devolves to another full lockup and eventual self reboot.

I've tried power-cording it a few times with no improvements.

Called Dish and they want to send a replacement unit - for a fee.

Assuming the issue was induced by the update, I gotta ask, what’s the point, other than giving Dish $15 to ship me a refurbished replacement that will behave the same way after it downloads this update?

I told the CSR that I’d wait 24 to 48 hours to see if my other unit takes the update and gets hosed as well ~ that way they can send me two replacements for $30. :nono:

Thanks Dish – It’s been a while, but it looks like I’ve been Guinea Pigged by you once again. :mad:

#12 OFFLINE   rjruby

rjruby

AllStar

• Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 06:26 PM

Since getting the update, my 622 has been consistently doing boot recoveries (warning 981)

A replacement 622 is on the way.

#13 OFFLINE   kucharsk

kucharsk

Godfather

• Registered
  • 473 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 08:21 PM

No boot recoveries with my 722, but it was running very, very slowly.

It seems a bit better tonight.

#14 OFFLINE   pcnetwrx

pcnetwrx

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 08:28 PM

My two 622 receivers had been working perfectly ....

Mine started out doing that same weird stuff this morning, but after forcing four reboots in a row, and then leaving it alone for 15 or 20 minutes without messing with it, it straightened out and has been working fine the rest of the day. I hope it keeps working after the nightly reboot.

#15 OFFLINE   rjruby

rjruby

AllStar

• Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 05:15 AM

Mine started out doing that same weird stuff this morning, but after forcing four reboots in a row, and then leaving it alone for 15 or 20 minutes without messing with it, it straightened out and has been working fine the rest of the day. I hope it keeps working after the nightly reboot.

My 622 did the same but the problem showed up again after the next nightly reboot.

#16 OFFLINE   4bama

4bama

Godfather

• Registered
  • 284 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 07:24 AM

My 622 got the update the first night it spooled and is working fine. I agree that responses to the remote seems a little slower than before, maybe 1/2 second slower.
Dish 622 DVR, B'ham locals via Dish, Montgomery locals OTA, Winegard on 70' tower + CM7777 preamp

#17 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 02 October 2010 - 08:06 AM

My 622 got the update the other day. I noticed last night that channel changes through the guide seem slower now. After selecting a channel in the guide the banner pops up with the remainder of the screen black. 3 to 5 seconds later the picture arrives. Same behavior using the recall button.

#18 OFFLINE   BqWUDUDj

BqWUDUDj

Mentor

• Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 09:23 AM

My 722 got updated. First impressions:

Guide colors changed -- for what purpose??? I've gotten used to the colors that I've had for years. I never paid attention to them before but now when I switch guide selections, I notice that something looks funny.

PPV ads -- I'm a paying customer. I shouldn't be presented with that garbage on my screen.

The DVR button press screen (not sure what it's called) has a different look than every other screen. Square corners rather than rounded, no space between menu options. Compare this screen to the menu button screen, for instance.

Dish Online is gone (or hidden somewhere). This had a lot of potential, especially if they could team up with Hulu and get some content.

Sorry, I have nothing good to say about 6.70 as of yet.

#19 OFFLINE   AVJohnnie

AVJohnnie

Icon

• Registered
  • 508 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 10:09 AM

Well it’s been about 72 hours since L6.30 hosed one of my 622s. I don’t try to use that receiver much since it received its “FW occurrence”, but I’ve tried to keep it on and have been monitoring its behavior as best I can. The constant lockups and self-reboots I was initially having seem to be down to three to four times per day. Sluggish remote response also continues to be a problem when I try to do anything with it.

At least they have not polluted my other 622 with this release (yet).

I’m seeing enough posts here and in the other FW update threads to indicate that I’m not alone in this ~ Looks like some 722s and 722Ks are having issues with their respective “FW enhancements” as well.

All in all I still see no point in having Dish ship out a replacement if it’s going to immediately download this tripe.

P.Smith ~ Do you happen to know if they’re still spewing out this crud?

#20 OFFLINE   Grampa67

Grampa67

Legend

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 12:39 PM

AMy 622 rebooted at about 7

My 622 rebooted last night at about 7pm. I went to the counters and line 14 read Connect: 6:57 pm. It rebooted about 10pm. Counters read connect: 9:57pm.
I checked the counters this am and read connect: 3:06am. Is the reboot command coming from the satellite?

;00 pm lasr night. I went yo the counters and line 14 Connect:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: l630

Protected By... spam firewall...And...