Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Best setup for a HR24 and a 2TB External??

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,780 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 05 October 2010 - 07:03 AM

Am I understanding your post correctly in that you were able to transfer recordings from one hard drive to the new one?

That's what I interpreted from your post.

I'm curious, because I came across this link the other day and it clearly states at the bottom:

"DIRECTV HD DVR Copy Service
We copy your settings and programming to the new drive - you lose nothing! Your capacity will simply increase!
You will receive an email with shipping instructions after your upgrade order is finalized. $59"

Does this mean they are able to extract the current recordings on your old HD DVR and transfer them to the new hard drive for your new HD DVR?

The reason I ask is because I just received a new HR24-500 and I have to send back my HR21-100 (thank god! :lol:) and I have a number of saved movies in HD on the hard drive. I'd love to transfer these to my new hard drive, or perhaps an external hard drive. Some of the movies rarely, if ever, come on in HD

Call them and ask them specifically what you want to know. I think you're talking about Weaknees and I think they only copy HDDs that have been recorded on ONE HR and are gonna be played on THAT HR. In other words, you'd still have to keep the 21, you'd just have a larger HDD in it. Please let us know what they say. They give good tech phone support.

Rich

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#27 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,780 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 05 October 2010 - 07:07 AM

Is the HR24 slow once you fill up all 2 terabytes? I have had an HR20 setup with 1 terabyte for almost 4 years now and has been working great. But I am wanting more space now and wondering if it's worth it to upgrade to HR24 + 2 terabyte drive.

I don't think anybody's posted about filling up a 2TB drive on a 24 yet. If you are planning on using an external, it might get bogged down as you approach the 30% Available mark. Just use the Menu Restart function and that should speed it back up. Internally, we don't know yet.

Takes a long time to fill up a 2TB drive. I've done it intentionally and it's a time consuming task.

Rich

#28 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 05 October 2010 - 01:30 PM

I've gotten my 2TB EVDS down to 13% free space, now its back to 20% free, and I've noticed my HR20-700 not acting very well lately, its been getting very sluggish, but I think there are other factors going on here. All my DVR's are starting to do this again...drives thrashing, have to wait for dvr to respond.

#29 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,780 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 06 October 2010 - 07:41 AM

I've gotten my 2TB EVDS down to 13% free space, now its back to 20% free, and I've noticed my HR20-700 not acting very well lately, its been getting very sluggish, but I think there are other factors going on here. All my DVR's are starting to do this again...drives thrashing, have to wait for dvr to respond.

They should get sluggish with that much content on them. I never tried an MX-1 in that regard, just out of the box eSATAs such as the FAP and Xtremes, and they all did the same thing no matter how big or small the drive was. I'm not seeing any of that on any of my eight 20-700s.

By the way, I took an Xtreme apart the other day. Once you rip apart the cover (couldn't figure out any other way the get the cover off, it's glued together) you find a metal cage surrounding the HDD completely. Took that apart and put the HDD in an old MX-1 and it's working fine now. The Xtreme kept freezing up. I still don't know what caused that "whooshing" noise. No moving parts in the cage except the HDD itself and it's not whooshing in the MX-1.

Rich

#30 OFFLINE   BSAMAINE

BSAMAINE

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 10:55 AM

Okey Dokey...I've ordered the: Western Digital AV-GP WD20EVDS 2TB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal AV Hard Drive -Bare Drive and the: Thermaltake BlacX ST0005U External Hard Drive SATA Enclosure Docking Station 2.5” & 3.5” USB 2.0 & eSATA....from NewEgg. I'll post the info on how well it works next week, when it shows up. By the way, I have a HR24-500 with 0x40d and it has worked flawlessly since the August install by DTV. I'm driving it through my SONY Bravia AV and HDTV systems with no Bravia problems so far.

I'm responding to my own post. Don't know where else to put it. I installed the hardware listed and it all works perfectly. Thanks for the info/help.

#31 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,780 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 07 October 2010 - 01:12 PM

I'm responding to my own post. Don't know where else to put it. I installed the hardware listed and it all works perfectly. Thanks for the info/help.

That's great!!!

Rich

#32 OFFLINE   PennyPincherP

PennyPincherP

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 08:50 AM

Anyone ever exceed this limit? I'm trying a 5 bay RAID 5 setup with 8TB net capacity. So far it works but I'm not sure if it's going to use all the available storage. I got the raid for media storage for my router but there's no utility provided to partition the storage into 2TB drives that Windows will recognize so I'm trying it on my DVR. Any feedback?

#33 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 17 November 2010 - 01:35 PM

Anyone ever exceed this limit? I'm trying a 5 bay RAID 5 setup with 8TB net capacity. So far it works but I'm not sure if it's going to use all the available storage. I got the raid for media storage for my router but there's no utility provided to partition the storage into 2TB drives that Windows will recognize so I'm trying it on my DVR. Any feedback?

HR DVRS's will only recognize up to 2TB.

#34 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,780 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 18 November 2010 - 12:07 PM

I had a 2TB RAID box that was set to give me the full 2TBs and when I filled it up, I got the impression that it would have gone farther. I'd be very interested to hear your experiences with your setup. Lots of things in my lifetime have been unreachable until someone did it and I've alway had an idea that the 2TB limit might be broken. Gonna be lots of people that will disagree with that, but I do believe you might make it further than 2TB. Good luck and please keep us notified of your findings.

Rich

#35 OFFLINE   PennyPincherP

PennyPincherP

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 03:28 AM

Good luck and please keep us notified of your findings.

So far I've recorded every HD movie (45) on 2 channels simultaneously, duplicates and all and I still show 89% free. I haven't calculated the precise play time but it looks to be roughly 700 hours capacity. How that translates to TB's I don't know. If I had a couple of spare DVR's (I should have HR24's in a few days), I could rig one with 2TB and the other with 4TB and do a comparison.

Edited by PennyPincherP, 19 November 2010 - 03:47 AM.

#36 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,990 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 05:42 AM

I also have a WD WD20EVDS and it has been flawless for the month it's been installed. However, that's internal on an HR21-100 but the drive should work just as well externally.

I used to have an Antec MX-1 connected to the HR21. It ran great for two years. I highly recommend one of those enclosures. :)

Mike

µß
Since it costs 1.66¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 3.32¢ worth.  That 3.32¢ is my own and not the 3.32¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#37 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,780 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 19 November 2010 - 07:52 AM

So far I've recorded every HD movie (45) on 2 channels simultaneously, duplicates and all and I still show 89% free. I haven't calculated the precise play time but it looks to be roughly 700 hours capacity. How that translates to TB's I don't know. If I had a couple of spare DVR's (I should have HR24's in a few days), I could rig one with 2TB and the other with 4TB and do a comparison.

Took me a long time to fill that 2TB to full. Can't even imagine how long it would take to fill up an 8TB setup. If you even can. You're looking at about 1600 to 2000 hours of programming depending on the content. Figure at least 400 hours for a 2TB HDD. And that will vary with the content. There is no set-in-stone figure for capacity. It all depends on the capacity. I think.

By the way, try to avoid "Keeping" content, let it roll off when your setup reaches full capacity. When you see content getting deleted automatically, you'll know you've reached full capacity. If the HR starts to bog down, reset the HR and the external device. That should get you a bit further.

Rich

#38 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,920 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 19 November 2010 - 07:55 AM

I also have a WD WD20EVDS and it has been flawless for the month it's been installed. However, that's internal on an HR21-100 but the drive should work just as well externally.

I used to have an Antec MX-1 connected to the HR21. It ran great for two years. I highly recommend one of those enclosures. :)

Mike

Using approximately 10% full for calculations, I'm seeing about 550 hours or HD MPEG-4 recording using the WD20EVDS with a Thermaltake Dock. It has worked perfectly for about six weeks to two months (I've already forgotten the date I put it on line).

So far, I'm extremely happy with the combo. Despite all my efforts, I haven't been able to get it lower than 87% free with 45 hours of HD movies and six or so football games.:)

The only down side, is because of the way D* chooses to do the UPL. When one combines everything that can go on a 2 TB drive with WHDVR, the playlist gets downright unmanageable. I end up only viewing ALL with one DVR, (the 2 TB), the others are set to local so the playlist isn't so long.

This makes maintenance a lot easier. For that matter, when I do maintenance on the 2 TB machine, I set its playlist to Local, which makes hunting through it much faster (just in terms of viewing, not actual speed of the machine)
...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock
HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD
DirecTV since 1995

#39 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,780 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 19 November 2010 - 09:28 AM

Using approximately 10% full for calculations, I'm seeing about 550 hours or HD MPEG-4 recording using the WD20EVDS with a Thermaltake Dock. It has worked perfectly for about six weeks to two months (I've already forgotten the date I put it on line).

So far, I'm extremely happy with the combo. Despite all my efforts, I haven't been able to get it lower than 87% free with 45 hours of HD movies and six or so football games.:)

The only down side, is because of the way D* chooses to do the UPL. When one combines everything that can go on a 2 TB drive with WHDVR, the playlist gets downright unmanageable. I end up only viewing ALL with one DVR, (the 2 TB), the others are set to local so the playlist isn't so long.

This makes maintenance a lot easier. For that matter, when I do maintenance on the 2 TB machine, I set its playlist to Local, which makes hunting through it much faster (just in terms of viewing, not actual speed of the machine)

That UPL is really a PITA, isn't it, Hasan? I gave up on it. Every once in a while I use it to delete series and that drives me nutz (not a long drive). The damn thing goes right back to the beginning every time I delete a series. They gotta fix this. By May of next year, my UPL will be completely unusable.

Rich

#40 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,990 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 06:41 AM

I don't think you can really go by the 10% to calculate. When mine said 1% it calculated out to be something like 800hours. Now at 6% it's ≈625 hours. I think as it starts to fill the algorithm will get more accurate. It really should be somewhere around 475ish...I think. :grin:

Mike

µß
Since it costs 1.66¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 3.32¢ worth.  That 3.32¢ is my own and not the 3.32¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#41 OFFLINE   avonabudget

avonabudget

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 42 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

Posted 22 November 2010 - 01:57 PM

Newegg has Thermaltake BlacX External 2.5" & 3.5" USB & eSATA Hard Drive SATA Docking Station for $30.49 - 15% code BRACC122 - $10 rebate = $15.92 with free shipping.

#42 OFFLINE   styrum

styrum

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 06:13 PM

I just set up a 2x2TB Esata RAID 1 box on my "main" HR21.

I used a RAIDON GR3630-2S-SB2+ 2-drive RAID enclosure that I got from Newegg. Put in two Hitachi 2TB drives that I got on sale at Fry's for $105. Since these drives were exactly the same size as my existing 2TB external, I just did a bit-copy from the old one to the new RAID box, after doing the usual graceful shutdown and power-plug-pull of the HR21.

(Although the copy took 6.5 hours, it worked fine. I actually used an external hardware disk-cloning tool (Disk Jockey Pro) that I happen to have. It could also be done on a PC. Since I was doing a bit-for-bit copy, there was no need to condition/partition the new drives first by connecting them to the HR21.)

No changes were needed on the RAIDON box, it comes set to RAID1 by default.

After the copy, I plugged the new box into the HR21, turned on the RAID, let it finish coming up, plugged in the HR21, it came up fine, and everything seems to work well.

I have not yet worked up the courage to yank one of the drives out while powered, although that is supposed to not result in failure, since hot-swap is supported.

Although it cost more ($170) than some others, this RAIDON box is very well made and looks nice. The only complaint I have is that the blue front panel backlight is rather bright, since this is in a bedroom. The box has a fan but it is very quiet. A cheaper alternative hardware-RAID box that also works is the Sans Digital MS2UTN+, which I have seen on sale for as low as $69.

A setup like this (or any external Esata) really must be on a UPS. If power is lost to both the HR and RAID box, then comes back on, it is almost certain that the RAID box will not have sufficient time to boot up, and thus will not be recognized by the DVR. This could result in lost scheduled recordings if no one is there to manually reboot the HR again.

Keith

This very RAIDON box didn't work for me with HR24/500 and 0x452 firmware. A WD15EVDS drive that works fine in a single drive Vantec enclosure doesn't work when put into this RAIDON box either alone or in a pair with WD15EURS. The box successfully duplicated the WD15EVDS to WD15EURS though. So, when I put the EURS drive into the Vantec enclosure, it worked too! Looks like 0x452 indeed killed the ability for HR24 to work with this box.:(

#43 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,780 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 25 January 2011 - 08:11 AM

This very RAIDON box didn't work for me with HR24/500 and 0x452 firmware. A WD15EVDS drive that works fine in a single drive Vantec enclosure doesn't work when put into this RAIDON box either alone or in a pair with WD15EURS. The box successfully duplicated the WD15EVDS to WD15EURS though. So, when I put the EURS drive into the Vantec enclosure, it worked too! Looks like 0x452 indeed killed the ability for HR24 to work with this box.:(

An NR killed one of my RAID boxes too. You're much better off using the setups we recommend. I think.

Rich

Protected By... spam firewall...And...