Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Best setup for a HR24 and a 2TB External??

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   avonabudget

avonabudget

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 39 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

Posted 22 November 2010 - 01:57 PM

Newegg has Thermaltake BlacX External 2.5" & 3.5" USB & eSATA Hard Drive SATA Docking Station for $30.49 - 15% code BRACC122 - $10 rebate = $15.92 with free shipping.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   styrum

styrum

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 06:13 PM

I just set up a 2x2TB Esata RAID 1 box on my "main" HR21.

I used a RAIDON GR3630-2S-SB2+ 2-drive RAID enclosure that I got from Newegg. Put in two Hitachi 2TB drives that I got on sale at Fry's for $105. Since these drives were exactly the same size as my existing 2TB external, I just did a bit-copy from the old one to the new RAID box, after doing the usual graceful shutdown and power-plug-pull of the HR21.

(Although the copy took 6.5 hours, it worked fine. I actually used an external hardware disk-cloning tool (Disk Jockey Pro) that I happen to have. It could also be done on a PC. Since I was doing a bit-for-bit copy, there was no need to condition/partition the new drives first by connecting them to the HR21.)

No changes were needed on the RAIDON box, it comes set to RAID1 by default.

After the copy, I plugged the new box into the HR21, turned on the RAID, let it finish coming up, plugged in the HR21, it came up fine, and everything seems to work well.

I have not yet worked up the courage to yank one of the drives out while powered, although that is supposed to not result in failure, since hot-swap is supported.

Although it cost more ($170) than some others, this RAIDON box is very well made and looks nice. The only complaint I have is that the blue front panel backlight is rather bright, since this is in a bedroom. The box has a fan but it is very quiet. A cheaper alternative hardware-RAID box that also works is the Sans Digital MS2UTN+, which I have seen on sale for as low as $69.

A setup like this (or any external Esata) really must be on a UPS. If power is lost to both the HR and RAID box, then comes back on, it is almost certain that the RAID box will not have sufficient time to boot up, and thus will not be recognized by the DVR. This could result in lost scheduled recordings if no one is there to manually reboot the HR again.

Keith

This very RAIDON box didn't work for me with HR24/500 and 0x452 firmware. A WD15EVDS drive that works fine in a single drive Vantec enclosure doesn't work when put into this RAIDON box either alone or in a pair with WD15EURS. The box successfully duplicated the WD15EVDS to WD15EURS though. So, when I put the EURS drive into the Vantec enclosure, it worked too! Looks like 0x452 indeed killed the ability for HR24 to work with this box.:(

#43 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,395 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 25 January 2011 - 08:11 AM

This very RAIDON box didn't work for me with HR24/500 and 0x452 firmware. A WD15EVDS drive that works fine in a single drive Vantec enclosure doesn't work when put into this RAIDON box either alone or in a pair with WD15EURS. The box successfully duplicated the WD15EVDS to WD15EURS though. So, when I put the EURS drive into the Vantec enclosure, it worked too! Looks like 0x452 indeed killed the ability for HR24 to work with this box.:(

An NR killed one of my RAID boxes too. You're much better off using the setups we recommend. I think.

Rich

spam firewall