Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Moving Dish Internal Hard Drive data to an External Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   artcal

artcal

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 01:54 PM

Hi!
Its my understanding that when you initially plug in a new external hard drive (EHD) into your Dish VIP 622 and/or VIP 722 (after you pay Dish’s one-time enablement fee), all of your movies and TV shows that you previously saved in the internal hard drive are deleted as the EHD is reformatting the data for your supported receiver. I am aware that Dish now allows you to share EHD among multiple receivers on the same account.

I have two VIP 622’s (contemplating upgrading to a 722). My question is if I plug in the EHD into either VIP and it reformats deleting the old data to that supported receiver, can I then move the EHD to the other VIP and the movies and TV shows on that VIP will be retained and transferable to the EHD? Or is the data on the second VIP deleted as well?

Thanks in advance!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,384 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 03 October 2010 - 02:38 PM

If you activate the EHD feature, the only impact it has on your internal hard drive is to write a code number to it that is the number associated with your account. That same number is written to all ViP DVR's on that account.

You can then move ("archive" as Dish calls it) anything already recorded or recorded in the future on the internal hard drive to the external hard drive and then unplug it from that ViP DVR and plug it into another ViP DVR on the same account and watch the recording or move it to the second ViP DVR's internal hard drive.

If you activate the feature, do the following on each of your ViP DVRs:

menu, 9, 3, counters,

then use these buttons to scroll up and down Posted Image

scroll down until you see "Household Key seq num", write that number down and make sure all your ViP DVRs are showing that number as that is the number associated with your account.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#3 OFFLINE   Dish97

Dish97

AllStar

• Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 03:01 PM

Nothing is deleted from the internal drive when formatting the EHD. The EHD needs to be formatted only once and not each time connected to a different Vip recvr on your account. Only data on the EHD is deleted when formatting.

#4 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,531 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 03 October 2010 - 03:44 PM

I'm not sure where the OP got his understanding (I HOPE it wasn't from a Dish CSR)...

As others have noted... plugging in an EHD doesn't do anything to your internal drive or existing recordings.

Perhaps, though, the confusion comes in here... When you archive to the external drive it is a move and not a copy... so you move content from the internal drive to the external (or vice-versa). You cannot have the exact same recording in both places at the same time.

You can record something, move it to archive, then record it again... but then it's not the "Exact" same recording.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#5 OFFLINE   mountaintop

mountaintop

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 01:29 PM

I have one 722 and two 622 with EHD now. I haven't tried move them around yet but this menu 9,3,counters I can't seem to find. Sorry but I really have looked and can't find it. Does it matter now? I have paid my $40.00 already.
I don't have anything really on any of the EHD yet but want to make sure they are setup right.

Have people used the external USB toaster docking station unit? These hold just the HD but I wonder about cooling long term. I have them on my imac but don't use them 24 hours a day.

http://www.amazon.co...86479545&sr=8-2

Thanks again.

#6 OFFLINE   mountaintop

mountaintop

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 07:43 AM

I found them. A lot of good information. I'll check the household numbers on the other receivers.
Thanks

spam firewall