Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Poll: Has broadcast HD picture quality gotten worse over the years?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy

Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt...&a

• Registered
  • 5,239 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 01:40 AM

NOTE: The poll is on the Engadget web site.
http://i.hd.engadget...e-over-the-yea/

High Definition television might be over 10 years old, but it is hardly perfect. Which makes us wonder on this Sunday afternoon, has broadcast HD picture quality gotten worse or better over the years? Sure, we've seen some especially heinous acts by DirecTV with its HD Lite, and then there was Comcast's shameful compression.....

Sign in and take the poll.

Edited by BubblePuppy, 05 October 2010 - 01:04 AM.
Fixed link.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 02:15 AM

Poll-ee no workee.

EDIT: Oh, I get it. It's on the website. Not fair! :lol:
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#3 OFFLINE   redsoxfan26

redsoxfan26

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 385 posts
  • LocationWest Warwick, RI

Posted 04 October 2010 - 02:18 AM

Works for me. Did you click the link?

#4 OFFLINE   BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,239 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 02:27 AM

Poll-ee no workee.

EDIT: Oh, I get it. It's on the website. Not fair! :lol:

Sorry for the confusion, I just put a note at the top of the first post.

#5 OFFLINE   Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 05:19 AM

Click Me
Team Mexico Pork Cloud

#6 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,617 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 06:28 AM

Must be all those Dish folks voting about their highly-compressed HD now for a while... :D
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#7 OFFLINE   kenglish

kenglish

Icon

• Registered
  • 972 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah, USA

Posted 04 October 2010 - 06:48 AM

They title it "has broadcast HD picture quality gotten worse or better", yet they then talk about "DirecTV with its HD Lite", "Comcast's shameful compression", and "AT&T's U-Verse".

So, which are they asking about....BROADCAST, or the other services?:P

#8 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,617 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 06:50 AM

They title it "has broadcast HD picture quality gotten worse or better", yet they then talk about "DirecTV with its HD Lite", "Comcast's shameful compression", and "AT&T's U-Verse".

So, which are they asking about....BROADCAST, or the other services?:P

HD Lite?

:lol::lol::lol:

Again...this thing is so littered with inaccuracy that it renders the poll and its results a joke.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#9 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 01:23 PM

I will say, I notice lots of OTA programming looks worse since most stations started doign multicasts. ABC is probably the worst offender, but all the stations here have one or two multicasts or other bandwidth hogs.

DirecTV, please don't make me have to go back to watching March Madness in standard Def! Oh, and the usual begging for AMC and BBC America. You are so close to actually being the HD Leader.

#10 OFFLINE   BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,239 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 03:12 PM

Only having HD for about 5 years I can't say if it has gotten better or worse. I know that some channels have better HD than others.

I'm sure the use of the term "broadcast" is used as a umbrella term to include all forms of HD tv transmission. But I'm sure some(one) will ridicule that.

#11 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,212 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 04 October 2010 - 05:38 PM

HD picture got much better for me once I replaced my Samsung rear projection machine with a Sony Bravia.
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#12 OFFLINE   redsoxfan26

redsoxfan26

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 385 posts
  • LocationWest Warwick, RI

Posted 04 October 2010 - 06:43 PM

Sorry for the confusion, I just put a note at the top of the first post.

I think when you did that, you messed up your link. Now it doesn't work.:eek2:

#13 OFFLINE   funhouse69

funhouse69

Icon

• Registered
  • 669 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 11:19 PM

If you go back to when Direct TV First came out they had by far the best pictures quality of all, this was compared to cable and OTA. Over the years the SD Quality went downhill due to the additional of HD. Of course when HD when it first came out was the best thing ever but I've noticed that some HD shows don't seem to be as clear as they used to be. This might be my imagination or it might be companies like Direct TV trying to squeeze out as much bandwidth as they possibly can from their satellites.

I don't agree with the observation of OTA Signals Getting Worse at least here in my experience all of my locals have at least one "Sub-Channel" and some have 3. My local PBS Stations have some of the best looking pictures of all of the channels I have.

I do however have one channel that even though OTA shows HD I've never seen an HD show on it, i don't think they upgraded and it doesn't seem like they are going to anytime soon. Hell most of my local news is just now getting up to HD and I am in a major market so I can only imagine what it is like in some of the smaller markets. Then again maybe they make the transition sooner, who knows.

I've been with Direct TV since 1996 and switching to HD with them was one of the most painful things ever. I think that their HD DVR's are a joke and so under powered that they should be forced to recall them all. Add in the fact that we have to "Pay for them" yet we don't even own then, man talk about a deal on their end.

Since switching to HD I've have more signal dropouts / fades in a month or two then I had the whole time previous with SD. I know there are many reason for this but it is still the case. Don't even get me started on what happens when it rains and before anyone says anything about alignment that isn't the case, I have insane singles until it gets cloudy and that is just the way it is.

I stupidly kept adding stuff to my account which of course extended my contract by 2 years each time. Now I am finally out of contract and will NOT do anything to extend it.

As soon as Verizon pushes out their next update allowing for external storage to be added to their DVR's it will be so long Direct TV it was a really nice run but as the song says "What have you done for me lately"? It was awesome when they had the most HD but then they fell flat on their face after that and now everyone has just as much if not more. I am sure there are issues with FIOS TV as well but I've done studies for Verzion and their picture quality has been the best I've ever seen compared to all competitors, lets hope they keep it that way.
Was with D* for over 10 years then switched to the dark-side a few years ago and haven't looked back. I truly enjoy the 50% savings and uninterrupted service

#14 OFFLINE   BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5,239 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 01:06 AM

I think when you did that, you messed up your link. Now it doesn't work.:eek2:

Oops...you are correct, thank you. I fixed the link.

#15 OFFLINE   smiddy

smiddy

Tain't ogre til its ogre

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,281 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 05:45 AM

I can't seem to login over there...anyhow, I think broadcast (OTA) HD Quality is the same (that was the question right?). I also think that the satellite TV I watch is also the same, I see no differences. :shrug:
Aaron 'smiddy' Smith

spam firewall