Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HOA and painting dish

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Jnipz

Jnipz

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 08:46 PM

My dish is located below a 6ft wall not visible from the street and the HOA wants me to paint the dish. My understanding is that this will cause signal loss and is not recommended. Am I not protected by the Telecommunications Act of 1996? What are your thoughts?
PS3

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 08:52 PM

Yes, you are protected, but by the federal OTARD (Over-The-Air Reception Device) law. Tell them to pound sand.

#3 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:28 PM

Paint it pink.

Really though, don't paint it. Stand your ground.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#4 ONLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:33 PM

The FCC rules make it clear that a requirement by the HOA for you to paint the dish is OK. To quote the OTARD regulations "A requirement to paint an antenna so that it blends into the background against which it is mounted would likely be acceptable, provided it will not interfere with reception or impose unreasonable costs. "
Painting the dish with non-metallic paint will not affect signal strength.

#5 OFFLINE   Jnipz

Jnipz

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 10:25 PM

Just spoke with someone over at Directv and was told that it is not recommended as it will cause problems with signal strength and if I do they would charge to have the dish replaced.
PS3

#6 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 10:29 PM

Sound like it would "interfere with reception" then cause an "unreasonable cost."

Keep fighting, don't let those (IMO) stupid HOAs push you around.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#7 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,125 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 04 October 2010 - 10:46 PM

Just get someone at DirecTV to put that in writing

#8 OFFLINE   Jnipz

Jnipz

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 10:51 PM

What gets me is the fact that they trespassed and looked over my wall as it cannot be seen from the street.
PS3

#9 OFFLINE   E91

E91

Godfather

• Registered
  • 341 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 11:59 PM

I have a townhouse with balconies. Technically, the HOA owns the balconies but I have a permenant easement for their use. That is how they regulate what happens on the balconies.

#10 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,776 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 12:52 AM

Pound sounds is what they need to do. Ask them how they even know you have a dish? and if no one can see it, then how do they know?

And if they say they climbed your wall to look over or something, say you are going to get a restraining order to keep them from invading your privacy. I know, I doubt you could, but it might make them think for a second.

#11 OFFLINE   ffemtreed

ffemtreed

Icon

• Registered
  • 958 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 04:14 AM

I have a townhouse with balconies. Technically, the HOA owns the balconies but I have a permenant easement for their use. That is how they regulate what happens on the balconies.

As long as you have exclusive use of those balconies you are still covered by OTARD. It doesn't matter who owns them.

#12 OFFLINE   TDK1044

TDK1044

Godfather

• Registered
  • 539 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 04:34 AM

The fact that your dish is 'located below a 6ft wall not visible from the street' means that you can politely tell the HOA to go away. They would lose in court anyway by trying to force you to paint the dish, if you could provide an e-mail from DirecTV stating that signal loss would occur, but the fact that the dish cannot be seen from the street gives them no case at all. :)

#13 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,125 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 05 October 2010 - 05:34 AM

On the 'trespass' question, I'd read my covenants closely if I were you. In my neighborhood the covenants give them the right to come onto the property to inspect to enforce the regulations.

#14 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,378 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 06:04 AM

Rather than go through all the headaches, let them paint it. Like Texasbrit said earlier, it will not affect its performance. Don't paint the LNB, and do not use metallic paint.
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#15 OFFLINE   ffemtreed

ffemtreed

Icon

• Registered
  • 958 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 07:11 AM

Rather than go through all the headaches, let them paint it. Like Texasbrit said earlier, it will not affect its performance. Don't paint the LNB, and do not use metallic paint.

This kind of thinking is why our country is in the crapper right now. People just do as the Govt says and not question a thing.

No way should you have to paint a dish and void your warranty and possibly lose signal strength just because some old bat in the HOA doesn't like dishes (or more likely the HOA has a backdoor deal with the cable company)

#16 ONLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 07:36 AM

I'm just telling you what the rules say, so don't shoot the messenger. I don't think there should be a need to paint the dish either, but under the FCC OTARD rules the HOA has the right to do this, however unreasonable you think this is. There were several threads about painting the dish a couple of years ago and whatever someone at DirecTV told you, provided you only paint the dish (with non-metallic matt paint) and not the LNB (!) it will have NO effect on the signal strength. And it certainly does not void any warranty.
Some people deliberately repaint their dish in their favorite team's colors.

#17 OFFLINE   lwilli201

lwilli201

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 07:42 AM

I do not know why the sat companies are not more proactive in helping folks with their HOA problems. Seems like a well written letter from the legal department to the HOA explaining the law and that they will support the home owner in the matter would solve many problems. I doubt there are many HOA's that can afford to go head to head with the legal departments of Directv or Dish.
1-HR21-100, 2-HR21-700, 1 w/eSATA, all networked, unsupported MRV. AT9 Dish(110 & 119 disabled) and SWM8.

#18 OFFLINE   ffemtreed

ffemtreed

Icon

• Registered
  • 958 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 07:42 AM

I'm just telling you what the rules say, so don't shoot the messenger. I don't think there should be a need to paint the dish either, but under the FCC OTARD rules the HOA has the right to do this, however unreasonable you think this is. There were several threads about painting the dish a couple of years ago and whatever someone at DirecTV told you, provided you only paint the dish (with non-metallic matt paint) and not the LNB (!) it will have NO effect on the signal strength. And it certainly does not void any warranty.
Some people deliberately repaint their dish in their favorite team's colors.

Did you read this post??

Just spoke with someone over at Directv and was told that it is not recommended as it will cause problems with signal strength and if I do they would charge to have the dish replaced.

If the Dish provider tells you that it will cause problems and they won't replace it then you as the customer have no CHOICE but to listen to them.

#19 OFFLINE   raoul5788

raoul5788

• Registered
  • 1,481 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 08:09 AM

As long as you have exclusive use of those balconies you are still covered by OTARD. It doesn't matter who owns them.

Not necessarily. If the dish extends out over a common area, even if the balcony use is exclusive, you aren't covered by OTARD.

#20 OFFLINE   JeffBowser

JeffBowser

blah blah blah

• Registered
  • 2,502 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 09:00 AM

Has anyone here noticed that these dishes come painted already? Another layer of non-metallic isn't going to hurt. If all it takes is 30 seconds with a $4 can of Rustoleum to make the HOA thugs happy, it would fall under the category of being a good neighbor, and not wasting too much of your own valuable time arguing with idiots.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
A fool finds no pleasure in understanding but delights in airing his own opinions.

spam firewall