Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Signal Loss on 61.5

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   BillJ

BillJ

Icon

• Registered
  • 822 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 09:23 PM

I've been having problems today with partial and complete signal loss on transponder 10 at 61.5 while watching channel 209. Wonder if it's just me or if Dish has a problem there. That satellite is a clear shot for me. No trees anywhere near line of sight. Weather is clear for hundreds of miles in all directions. Haven't had problems with other channels we watched.

#2 OFFLINE   Palsgraf99

Palsgraf99

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 09:47 PM

According to info I found on the satelliteguys board, we're in the middle of the so-called solar outages period (around 9/29 through 10/15) where the sun and the DISH sats line up with each other in such a way that the sun's radio waves drown out the sat's signal on certain transponders. This MAY be what was impacting you today. I experienced a similar outage late this afternoon on TMC-W. This stuff is way over my head, but it sounds like a logical explanation. The other board even has a pdf file that lists the expected outages and the times at which they should occur.

#3 OFFLINE   BillJ

BillJ

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 822 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 09:56 PM

I thought about that as a possible cause of the problem. Hope that's all it is.

At least I got to see the new error messages in L6.30. A little more useful than just "Acquiring Signal". They differentiate between partial signal loss and complete signal loss and offer some steps to try to solve the problem. Nothing I didn't already know but may help newbies to Dish.

BTW, at one point I checked signal strength and watched it go down below 20 and back up to 45 over the span of 30 to 40 seconds.

#4 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,766 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 05 October 2010 - 10:40 PM

I had SL graph in up-link thread, it doesn't correlate with solar flares, you can see there a couple new transponders added (not sure if today exactly), but that tell me it's more satellite(s) maintenance, then mother nature interaction .

#5 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,601 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 10:46 PM

I've been having problems today with partial and complete signal loss on transponder 10 at 61.5 while watching channel 209. Wonder if it's just me or if Dish has a problem there. That satellite is a clear shot for me. No trees anywhere near line of sight. Weather is clear for hundreds of miles in all directions. Haven't had problems with other channels we watched.

I had a couple of drops during the afternoon as well while watching channel 200. Not the right time of day for a solar conjunction outage. I checked the dish to see if it was blocked and it wasn't. I thought of the solar outage but noted that the shadows were wrong.

spam firewall