Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Thinking about coming back, but need hardware help badly!

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 830 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 10:35 PM

Folks...a little help here, if you could please.

I'm considering returning to Dish after a long run with DirecTV. When was I last with Dish? Well, my DVR was a 501<grin>. So I'm pretty sure we qualify as a new customer at this point. If not, well, my wife's got good credit so she can sign up.

Anyway, I've got two HD sets and want two DVRs. Also necessary is off-air capability, as I'm into the programming on the sub-channels around here. I understand there is a configuration where one DVR can record two off-air and two satellite at the same time. Is this the 722K with a OTA module? And if so, is the 722 limited to two satellite and/or one OTA recording? Ideally, I'd like to have one receiver that can do four at once, with another that just does two (the 612 probably).

Also...I might cheap out consider a 612/612 setup if that's available and would save me the $100. Will Dish sell that configuration? Everyone I've talked to so far seems to be pushing the 722 as a prime receiver.

Other than the second set capability, what advantage do I get with going with a 722?

I understand that for a single, one-time fee, I can add external USB drives to these boxes for up to 1TB additional storage capacity. Can I add just any old drive, or do they have to be something special?

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the 722K (not the 612) is capable with the OTA module of recording four at once, two from the OTA and two from the satellite. Is this correct?

As you can tell, I know just enough about this stuff to be dangerous <grin>. DirecTV's current and future emphasis on sports, sports and more sports has me looking at Dish with its international programming (especially the French package where three of the five channels either have English subcarriers or English subtitles!).

And then....there's customer service. Frankly, has it gotten any better? I remember many years ago after Dish had its first growing pains dealing with people who were just above rhesus monkeys. DirecTV has had its CSR issues as well, but recently they've been quite good to me. But its refusal to add certain channels in HD, along with the sports issues I mentioned up above, are making me look at the other side of the fence, again.

Many thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Mike Nassour / Austin TX

Edited by mnassour, 05 October 2010 - 10:52 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,374 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 05 October 2010 - 11:39 PM

The 722k can record simultaneously two OTA and two satellite signals (with the purchased module which you should order when you setup your service). The 612 can record two satellite signals and one OTA.

The monthly cost for a 722k+612 and a 612+612 is the same. So get the 722k.

If you activate the external hard drive feature, you can attach a variety of brands, models and sizes. There is a thread External Hard Drives That Work, but mostly it has to be USB with an external power supply.

You can use as many EHDs as you want and move them between ViP DVRs on the same account. I currently have six Western Digital EHDs.

Customer service is what it is. Sometimes good, sometimes not so good, sometimes awful. For most things, I use the on line chat rather than the phone.

Because you are looking at foreign language channels, you may need an additional dish and/or switch setup so be sure to discuss that thoroughly with whomever you order from.

Edited by phrelin, 05 October 2010 - 11:45 PM.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#3 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 830 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 05:40 AM

Great, thanks!

So...is there any difference between the 722 and the 722K with the OTA module installed?

#4 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 06:36 AM

722 = 2 sat tuners and 1 built-in OTA tuner

722k = 2 sat tuners and 0 built-in OTA tuners, but accepts an optional ($) 2-tuner OTA module.

#5 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 830 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 07:37 AM

OK, so the 722 will record two sat and one OTA, while the 722K (with module) will record two sat and two OTA?

And what will the 612 do, perhaps two sat and one OTA? Or just two of anything?

The deal is I record all the five and six o'clock newscasts for my office...and having one box that would do four would be a huge help.

thanks!

#6 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,374 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 06 October 2010 - 09:13 AM

OK, so the 722 will record two sat and one OTA, while the 722K (with module) will record two sat and two OTA?

And what will the 612 do, perhaps two sat and one OTA? Or just two of anything?

The deal is I record all the five and six o'clock newscasts for my office...and having one box that would do four would be a huge help.

thanks!

The only box that will do four at a time 2/2 is the 722k with the module. The 612 will do 2/1, but you want the 722k. It will sit there nicely recording four at a time.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#7 OFFLINE   TUKIN18S

TUKIN18S

AllStar

• Registered
  • 51 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 10:55 AM

The only box that will do four at a time 2/2 is the 722k with the module. The 612 will do 2/1, but you want the 722k. It will sit there nicely recording four at a time.

Yep, I'm running the 722k with the MT2 OTA module. I just installed the MT2 this week and I have had no problems.

#8 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 12:21 PM

I understand that for a single, one-time fee, I can add external USB drives to these boxes for up to 1TB additional storage capacity. ...

At least 1.5TB is possible. I believe I have read where people are using 2TB drives. (My wife has a 1.5TB and a 500GB.)

Edited by SaltiDawg, 06 October 2010 - 12:48 PM.

#9 OFFLINE   RASCAL01

RASCAL01

Godfather

• Registered
  • 293 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 01:09 PM

At least 1.5TB is possible. I believe I have read where people are using 2TB drives. (My wife has a 1.5TB and a 500GB.)

It needs to be a single plater drive.
RASCAL01
DISH 622, Hopper, Hopper2, Joey
TOSHIBA REGZA 55 LED/LCD 24O HZ
SONY AV 5.1 SOUROUND SOUND
SONY 3D BLUE RAY PLAYER

#10 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 830 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 01:47 PM

Great, this is exactly the info I needed, folks. I'll be placing an order tonight.

But...why would the receiver care that the HD was or wasn't a single platter drive? After all, it's using external power for the drive.

And...does Dish have any kind of "grace" period? Or is the contract in force the moment you authorize the receivers?

Edited by mnassour, 06 October 2010 - 02:36 PM.

#11 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 830 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 09:37 PM

I'm gonna bump this one, folks for one more (loaded) question....

I understand Dish runs HD at 1440X1080, whereas DirecTV runs it at 1920X1080.

Can anyone who's had/seen both tell the difference?

#12 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 09:44 PM

I do not believe this is true anymore. Someone with DISH will confirm. Dish just puts more channels on a transponder. In the threads I have read on the subject, the consensus seemed to be that unless you had a large (55" or larger) tv, or sat very close, they were pretty much identical for HD, and that DISH has much better looking SD.

PM mdavej as he just switched from D* to E*

Edited by Davenlr, 04 December 2010 - 10:01 PM.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#13 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 830 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 10:06 PM

Thanks, I'll do that and take this to the Dish HD forum.

mn

#14 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,757 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 05 December 2010 - 12:16 AM

I do not believe this is true anymore. Someone with DISH will confirm. Dish just puts more channels on a transponder. In the threads I have read on the subject, the consensus seemed to be that unless you had a large (55" or larger) tv, or sat very close, they were pretty much identical for HD, and that DISH has much better looking SD.

PM mdavej as he just switched from D* to E*

It is still true - 1440x1088i is the resolution of HD channels ( bandwidth was posted recently - see other thread where tvropro discussed the aspect of HD/SD); perhaps for FVOD it changed, but I'm not in luxury to pay $7 to check it.

#15 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 12:22 AM

OK, I was told by someone else (and I sure cant remember who) that the mpeg4 HD channels were full res. Sorry for any confusion.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#16 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,757 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 05 December 2010 - 01:03 AM

Ask him how he did obtain that info and how we could verify it ?

spam firewall