Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

VIP 722 disconnected from satellite dish

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dpantle

dpantle

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 05:30 PM

I wasn't sure how to search for the answer to the following:

I'm switching from Dish to Direct, and will not have my 722 connected to the dish for the last 2 weeks. My question is this, how long will I be able to watch already recorded content once I disconnect the receiver from the dish?

It's not connected to a phone line either.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 01:09 PM

You can view pre-recorded events indefinitely.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#3 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 04:09 PM

I wasn't sure how to search for the answer to the following:

I'm switching from Dish to Direct, and will not have my 722 connected to the dish for the last 2 weeks. My question is this, how long will I be able to watch already recorded content once I disconnect the receiver from the dish?

It's not connected to a phone line either.

I am having my roof re-shingled today and they have disconnected my two coaxes from the dish. (E* is coming tomorrow to re-install the dish.) I have a 622 and a 722k connected to a 1000.4 EA rooftop dish.

What I am seeing on the 622 is a Normal Guide and access to all previously recorded events.

What I am seeing on the 722k is all previously recorded events have had their titles replaced with "Locked Event." If I select any given event it requires me to enter my password. It then displays the info and gives me the option to play or resume as applicable. When I select "Play" it requires I again enter my password.

The 722k will not allow me to view the Guide - I get the Acquiring Sat splash screen. It will not allow me to enter directly the OTA channels... i.e. 0041.

The 622 also will not allow allow us to view the Guide, however it will allow normal display and usage of previously recorded titles.

I cannot access OTA on either receiver! Bummer.

Edited by SaltiDawg, 08 October 2010 - 12:20 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,499 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 07 October 2010 - 09:40 PM

You can view pre-recorded events indefinitely.

I don't believe this is true. IF the receiver cannot see the satellites for a period of time, I believe the receiver will cease some access to content, even pre-recorded stuff.

I don't know what that limit is, but I'm pretty sure that eventually these newer receivers shut themselves off from working if you don't keep them on an active account.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#5 OFFLINE   Tulsa1

Tulsa1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 255 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 07:42 AM

My dish was disconnected for a couple weeks while I had new siding installed
on my house. I could not access anything after the first reboot on a 622 and a 722.

Correction: my bad......I could not access recorded stuff on EHD....sorry
The rest of you are correct

Edited by Tulsa1, 08 October 2010 - 10:14 AM.

#6 OFFLINE   CABill

CABill

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 08:00 AM

I don't believe this is true. IF the receiver cannot see the satellites for a period of time, I believe the receiver will cease some access to content, even pre-recorded stuff.

I don't know what that limit is, but I'm pretty sure that eventually these newer receivers shut themselves off from working if you don't keep them on an active account.

What receiver have you actually observed it happening on? By "newer receivers", do you mean 722k and up? A 622 isn't really new, but its recorded content is available 6 months after being deactivated from an account. It is connected to a dish, but not powered on, most of the time.

If not connected to a dish with a valid signal (at least for a moment) after a reboot, they won't let you select OTA channels. After a time, the receiver will time out its subscription info if it wasn't powered on and connected when removed from an account. I *think* that time could expire soon or persist for a month (as if the receiver subscription had an expiration date?). Once it expires (immediately if connected when deactivated), OTA viewing is gone. But I've never seen anybody post that they can't access recorded material because their receiver was disconnected.

Well, now I've seen Tulsa1!

#7 OFFLINE   CABill

CABill

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 08:04 AM

My dish was disconnected for a couple weeks while I had new siding installed
on my house. I could not access anything after the first reboot on a 622 and a 722.

Do you mean you only got a display of of Acquiring Sat? When not connected to a dish with a valid signal, you may have to hit the Menu button to do anything at all - and then hit the DVR button.

#8 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 10:06 AM

.... But I've never seen anybody post that they can't access recorded material because their receiver was disconnected. ...

Se my Post #3 above re my 722k.

#9 OFFLINE   CABill

CABill

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 10:22 AM

When I read #3, it sounded like you could access recorded material - just had to jump through hoops. Recorded material on an external drive would NOT be available AFAIK - it disappeared as a choice on my 622 immediately with live programming. Internal recordings should remain available indefinitely as Jim5506 said. I doubt it matters, but might, so I'll mention I don't lock my receiver with a password.

#10 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 12:24 PM

When I read #3, it sounded like you could access recorded material - just had to jump through hoops. ....

All recordings are titled "Locked Event". Makes selecting a show to watch nearly impossible. :)

I have my receiver locked only to prevent accidentally ordering a PPV.

I'm thoroughly confused as to why the OTA tuner does not work. :confused:

#11 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,499 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 08 October 2010 - 12:28 PM

I've never experienced any of this myself... just going on what others have posted in the past and a handful of things I thought I "knew"... so I could be mistaken.

I said "newer" even though I know the 622 is old by now.. mainly because I thought some older Dish receivers like the 921/501/510/etc didn't die after deactivation.

One point of distinction here too is deactivating a receiver vs disconnecting from satellites.

Deactivating a receiver does render any EHD content unwatchable pretty much immediately I believe... but the content on the DVR itself may still be viewable as long as the receiver remains connected to a dish pointing at Dish satellites.

But I thought I had read before that if you disconnect the receiver completely from satellites, that eventually (maybe takes more than a month) it would stop working for anything at all.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#12 OFFLINE   CABill

CABill

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 03:03 PM

All recordings are titled "Locked Event". Makes selecting a show to watch nearly impossible. :)

Probably too late to try now, but UNLOCKING the receiver might have helped. :D

#13 OFFLINE   CABill

CABill

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 03:15 PM

But I thought I had read before that if you disconnect the receiver completely from satellites, that eventually (maybe takes more than a month) it would stop working for anything at all.

I've read that it would happen, but not that it did happen. I truly only know of my own results, and they are always subject to change from firmware updates (which can happen if unsubscribed, but still connected). A 622 is the "newest" of my assorted receivers that aren't active / connected, but it behaves like the previous ones.

I know a receiver becomes "unsubscribed" if not connected to a sat for a long period. Other things stop working quickly w/o a dish signal, but it *SEEMS* that recorded stuff remains viewable. I don't think dpantle's 2 weeks will be enough of a test to say one way or the other though.

#14 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 03:39 PM

Probably too late to try now, but UNLOCKING the receiver might have helped. :D

I just got off the phone with Dish - my Tech is so far a no-show to reinstall my dish.

He wanted to send a "parental" hit which serves to reset the password. I pointed out the dish is not connected. If after the dish is reconnected I still have the problem, I'll call Dish and they'll clear out my password.

#15 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 08:18 AM

What I am seeing on the 722k is all previously recorded events have had their titles replaced with "Locked Event." If I select any given event it requires me to enter my password. It then displays the info and gives me the option to play or resume as applicable. When I select "Play" it requires I again enter my password. ...

Tech showed up and re-installed dish on roof. After acquiring signal, all returned to normal and the proper titles appeared.

#16 OFFLINE   dpantle

dpantle

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 08:45 AM

OK, well I have disconnected the DVR from the back, and when I power on, there is notification of loosing all communications with the dish, and steps to take. It also says that I still have access to recorded material. I'll leave it like this for a while. I still have Dish service for the month, so if the content becomes unavailable, I'll just reconnect, and call Dish.

spam firewall