Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV Nomad

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2006 replies to this topic

#2001 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,533 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 05 October 2011 - 06:46 PM

what are you hoping for?

Nothing Nomad related, HR34.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2002 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 06:55 PM

yeah i see that. it just doesnt seem like its all its cracked up to be i mean converting content is real time so 2 hours to transfer a 2 hour show, it deletes after 30 days (which isnt that big of a deal), need open port on router (mine is already full), $149!, Moving content to the nomad is passive, therefore the process will be halted if the DVR with the requested program is conducting a
Whole-Home session. (so if it is halted will i have to start over of what) seems like there is better options out there to stream content

Nomad is not meant to be a streaming product. It's not designed or marketed to stream. It's making content portable and there is a difference between that. Nomad is not designed for spur of the moment "oh I want to watch something on my phone or laptop from home". If this is what you expect or want then the nomad will not make you happy. If you want the ability to watch programs on the go that you will plan out in advance. I can think that most people could do 4-5 movies a night easily and 10-12 shows while they sleep. However in the world of instant gratification this is not meant to be the end all be all device.

Nothing Nomad related, HR34.

Perhaps the correct thread would help.

#2003 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 948 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 07:21 PM

when you are moving media over telecommunications i call it steaming and that is what you are doing there is nothing portable the shows transfer to the nomad and the nomad stays at your home you dont take it with you to access it you go through the nomad app from your iphone or computer software so that to me is streaming and im just saying there are better ways to do it

#2004 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,348 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 05 October 2011 - 07:30 PM

when you are moving media over telecommunications i call it steaming and that is what you are doing there is nothing portable the shows transfer to the nomad and the nomad stays at your home you dont take it with you to access it you go through the nomad app from your iphone or computer software so that to me is streaming and im just saying there are better ways to do it

It's very hard to comprehend what you write, with no caps, no sentence structure. I'd like to understand what you write!
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#2005 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 07:33 PM

when you are moving media over telecommunications i call it steaming

Well I'll just be perfectly honest, nobody cares what your definition of streaming is. It's a very well-defined term, you can't just decide you want to redefine it and expect anyone to follow you.

#2006 OFFLINE   Justin23

Justin23

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 07:34 PM

Huh, what? :eek2:

#2007 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,907 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 07:38 PM

Ladies and gentlemen, I'm closing this thread. It is my hope that when nomad does launch, that we can have an honest discussion of its merits without commenting on our fellow posters.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...