Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV Nomad

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2006 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,602 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 03:54 AM

I would say very different from 2Go in many ways. IMO

Indeed. More of a reinvention than a "return".
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,614 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 09:00 AM

The Slingbox lets me stream to any computer or my iPhone. A capture card lets me take any DVR content and convert it to DVD or MPEG4 to put on portable devices. But to have all this incorporated into the DVD software would be fantastic. Send me the survey:)

I doubt you'll see this as part of the DVR software, but instead be a box attached to the DVR, that will have an upfront cost along with a monthly fee.
A.K.A VOS

#23 ONLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,824 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 10:01 AM

Nomad was already in a Star Trek: TOS episode "The Changeling":

Well then I guess we "must sterilize"... :D

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#24 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,909 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 08 October 2010 - 10:12 AM

I doubt you'll see this as part of the DVR software, but instead be a box attached to the DVR, that will have an upfront cost along with a monthly fee.

This would not be too surprising. That's sorta what the Slingbox is today (yeah I know it's not exactly the same thing). Would be nice if it was integrated into the STB somehow for simplicity (from a user perspective).
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#25 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,614 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 10:18 AM

This would not be too surprising. That's sorta what the Slingbox is today (yeah I know it's not exactly the same thing). Would be nice if it was integrated into the STB somehow for simplicity (from a user perspective).

[not having any clue] Maybe a USB interface?
A.K.A VOS

#26 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,909 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 08 October 2010 - 10:23 AM

USB to what? If it's your computer, yeah, but if it's your smartPhone .. I'd think you'd use WiFi on your phone and Network from your STB, so why not use network for all transactions.

The intellectual property of how to do that would need to be added into the HRs as clearly it's not in there today, but it's certainly possible. The HR is just a computer after all.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#27 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,614 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 10:36 AM

USB to what? If it's your computer, yeah, but if it's your smartPhone .. I'd think you'd use WiFi on your phone and Network from your STB, so why not use network for all transactions.

The intellectual property of how to do that would need to be added into the HRs as clearly it's not in there today, but it's certainly possible. The HR is just a computer after all.

"The thought here" was that this box/device could integrate into the DVR like the AM-21 does through USB.
A.K.A VOS

#28 ONLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,824 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 11:00 AM

Not having any idea what Nomad is supposed to actually be, I wouldn't mind having some kind of sling like device; especially if it allowed me to do some house keeping like checking To-Do lists or some such thing...only instead of USB how about connected to the DECA cloud so it could access all the connected DVRs .

I don't know if that's what Nomad is intended to be but it would be very cool...I can dream can’t I. :grin:

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#29 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,614 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 11:51 AM

Not having any idea what Nomad is supposed to actually be, I wouldn't mind having some kind of sling like device; especially if it allowed me to do some house keeping like checking To-Do lists or some such thing...only instead of USB how about connected to the DECA cloud so it could access all the connected DVRs .

I don't know if that's what Nomad is intended to be but it would be very cool...I can dream can’t I. :grin:

Mike

The product didn't have a name when I heard about it, but was to be something very much like Slingbox + a PVR type device, where you could "take" recordings with you for something like on vacation and keep the kids busy in the backseat.
"How" this was to do any of this wasn't mentioned, but seems it would be a separate box/device. I don't think the DVR could do the downscaling to feed a recording over the internet.
[again] I have no idea of how this will interconnect to the DVR. Using the network may or may not cause problems with all the other features we have now, but it seems [to me] utilizing the USB port might be a way to alleviate any of these if they were a problem. By integrating into the DVR, "perhaps" the UPL of the DVR could be available to this device too. :shrug:
A.K.A VOS

#30 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,030 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 12:31 PM

You will know soon enough. :)
DIRECTV employee

#31 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 9,015 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 08 October 2010 - 12:49 PM

I am thinking this could be a very big deal, but then I thought that Directv would have made a bigger deal out of the MRV. I actually found myself stopping at their commercials to see how it was advertised and it just wasn't impressing. Having said that, it may be doing very well or better than expected and they don't need to do anymore, I have no way of knowing that. I still run into people that don't know that D* has a whole home dvr.

This has the potential to be even bigger than MRV. Portability is huge and I think this could put a lot of folks at ease by giving the ability to back up programs. Of course I'm only guessing but it makes sense that if you can move a show to a computer and watch it later that you may be able to move many shows.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#32 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,614 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 12:52 PM

Of course I'm only guessing but it makes sense that if you can move a show to a computer and watch it later that you may be able to move many shows.

What isn't clear yet is at what resolution this will be.
A.K.A VOS

#33 OFFLINE   chrisfowler99

chrisfowler99

Legend

• Registered
  • 198 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 01:04 PM

You will know soon enough. :)

There's that "soon" word again. ;)

#34 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 9,015 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 08 October 2010 - 02:07 PM

What isn't clear yet is at what resolution this will be.

Boy I wish I could take the survey again so I could pay more attention.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#35 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,406 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 04:56 PM

This June "Nomad" trademark registration shows up in a Google search.
/steve

#36 OFFLINE   loveshockey

loveshockey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 359 posts
  • LocationLancaster, NY

Posted 08 October 2010 - 07:24 PM

You could also stream content over a broadband connection and watch it on your phone or computer.

Isn't this basically Directv2PC?

#37 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,406 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 07:35 PM

Isn't this basically Directv2PC?

DirecTV2PC only works on your home network, tho. It streams the recordings at their original resolutions and bitrates, which are way too high for streaming to a portable device outside the home. There's also a minimum level of hardware required on the client PC.
/steve

#38 OFFLINE   Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,236 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 08:28 AM

Dang, Directv's gonna get me with another box and fee, but boy am I excited. I have a Sling Solo now, for fball games at work when Im on on the weekends. I bought it years ago, as an experiment, and love it. Would love an HD version, and the wife has an Droid 2, so...
65" VT50 / BDP-S6200
X4000 / Outlaw Model 7125
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / TiVo Roamio

#39 OFFLINE   codespy

codespy

Go Pack Go!

• Registered
  • 693 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 09 October 2010 - 10:24 AM

Nomad also received UL approval on Sept 7, 2010.....here: http://database.ul.c...372&sequence=1'> http://database.ul.com/cgi-bin/XYV/template/LISEXT/1FRAME/showpage.html?name=AZSQ7.E341393&ccnshorttitle=Audio/Video+Apparatus+Certified+for+Canada&objid=1081189820&cfgid=1073741824&version=versionless&parent_id=1073984372&sequence=1

11 DirecTV HD-DVR's including a Genie and GenieGO

#40 OFFLINE   Brennok

Brennok

Legend

• Registered
  • 228 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 09:19 AM

I wonder if this means they will allow TiVo to keep their TiVo To Go feature since that is basically what TiVo does..

spam firewall