Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV Nomad

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2006 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Jeremy W

Jeremy W

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,447 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 09:40 AM

I wonder if this means they will allow TiVo to keep their TiVo To Go feature since that is basically what TiVo does..

It doesn't matter, since the new DirecTivo will never see the light of day.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Brennok

Brennok

Legend

• Registered
  • 228 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 09:44 AM

Oh trust me I am not waiting for it I have mine, I just find it funny DirecTV would finally add a feature they didn't allow TiVo to add previously.

#43 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,340 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 10 October 2010 - 09:46 AM

Oh trust me I am not waiting for it I have mine, I just find it funny DirecTV would finally add a feature they didn't allow TiVo to add previously.

Things have changed at DirecTV over the years though.

#44 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,909 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 10 October 2010 - 09:50 AM

It doesn't matter, since the new DirecTivo will never see the light of day.

Wrong thread .. Go here: http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=184206

And yes it will ..
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#45 OFFLINE   bjdraw

bjdraw

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 10:59 AM

Did anyone take screen shots of the survey? If so can you email them to me at ben at engadget?
How good can it be, if it isn't HD?
Ben
Engadget HD

#46 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,251 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 10 October 2010 - 11:50 PM

I'd think you'd use WiFi on your phone and Network from your STB, so why not use network for all transactions.

If the media device requires transcoding or scaling, the source receiver wouldn't seem to be capable on its own so I would expect that add-on hardware would be required to do it on the fly.

I'm guessing that not all modern media devices are up to displaying full resolution TV streams.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#47 OFFLINE   SunDevil2012

SunDevil2012

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 12:22 AM

DirecTV2PC only works on your home network, tho. It streams the recordings at their original resolutions and bitrates, which are way too high for streaming to a portable device outside the home. There's also a minimum level of hardware required on the client PC.

The big issue with it that I had was that even on my desktop (AMD 965 BE, 6gb ram, etc) it was slow to load up. It was slow just to open up the program and recognize the receiver on the network. Which made no sense. The code was improperly optimized so that the interface itself was eating up so much resources, and it was bogging the performance of the program down. Once content was in the process of streaming it was snappier. But still, the fact that if I was trying to watch a live recording it was delayed by 30seconds MINIMUM was an issue. I was using the program as a way to get the 2nd tuner on my other TV without the need for a 2nd box.

I think the issue is they need to make boxes that accept 2 tuners and output them separately. And then in terms of content recordings. It should be that you can play with the files however way you want. DirecTV should have it's own file converter program built into an interface that accesses the recordings. Then from there it shows you the details of what the video quality is, etc. Then you can select a destination format. But because it's all TV it's going to have to have DRM, although I would hope not. But it would be very cool to have a 1080i recording from my receiver on my computer for archiving. That way less is stored on the receiver, which makes it faster.

But in terms of streaming content, they need to not look into streaming recorded content. They should look into making DirecTV available ONLINE. Make every channel your subscribed to available online (limit it to 1 viewer or something). That way if you have a fast internet connection you can still watch your MLB package without MLB.tv. Or you can see the post-game on your way home from the game. Think about the possibilities that having an online version of your directv service would bring. I would pay an extra $5-10 a month to get an online version of every channel as well. It would mean that even when I'm on vacation, or hell, if I'm in the car and I got a fast 3G or 4G connection, I can then catch all the action. It would be like "ESPN3 who?"

#48 OFFLINE   tpm1999

tpm1999

Legend

• Registered
  • 319 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 01:17 AM

The question is, I suppose. How is the Nomad different than a slingbox?

1. Will it be cheaper? (non hd slingbox is pretty cheap). Or will it have a monthly cost?
2. Will it work with non-directv sources? If it is directv only, will it be able to change channels in a more eligant way than using an IR blaster?
3. Is it recorded shows only? Slingbox is live streaming.

In the end, I am looking forward to this...but only if it matches up nicely against a slingbox.

HR44-500 Genie
2 C41W-100 Wireless Genie Minis and WVB
Genie Go
SWM Dish

#49 OFFLINE   bakerfall

bakerfall

Godfather

• Registered
  • 456 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 07:00 AM

the answer to what Nomad is, and how it works, is likely explained on the web page of the company listed on the UL page.

http://www.morega.co...s_hardware.html

"Morega provides a reference DLNA/UPnP compliant hardware design which offers the ability to stream, side-load or place-shift content from multiple digital video sources to a wide range of devices including TVs, mobile phones, PCs, media players and flash-based media. The hardware repurposes video format, resolution and bit rate based on the target device while maintaining high video quality, all without the need for a PC."

Seems to be that it will move recorded content from the DVR to a mobile phone or laptop. It looks like it can run on the existing DVR, or via a stand alone box.
HR20-700 (w/1 TB eSATA drive), HR24-500 x3, HR22-100, SWM-16, DECA

#50 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,909 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 11 October 2010 - 09:02 AM

If the media device requires transcoding or scaling, the source receiver wouldn't seem to be capable on its own so I would expect that add-on hardware would be required to do it on the fly.

I'm guessing that not all modern media devices are up to displaying full resolution TV streams.

Yes, but if this is a "transfer and go" type of functionality, on the fly isn't really necessary. Now it's certainly true that generally speaking you'd want it to transfer quickly, so you might need additional hardware to make that happen at a reasonable rate. However, it's not a requirement. The STB could do it if the drivers were written. It just may not be practical.

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#51 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,909 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 11 October 2010 - 09:24 AM

http://i.engadget.co...tent-on-the-go/

#52 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,614 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 09:31 AM

:yawn:
A.K.A VOS

#53 ONLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 9,015 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 11 October 2010 - 11:28 AM

:yawn:

The article should have just directed everyone here, seems how that's where the info/speculation came from anyway. :lol:

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#54 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,614 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 11:38 AM

The article should have just directed everyone here, seems how that's where the info/speculation came from anyway. :lol:

So you're saying/thinking this had something to do with it? ;)

Did anyone take screen shots of the survey? If so can you email them to me at ben at engadget?

!rolling
A.K.A VOS

#55 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,109 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 11 October 2010 - 12:00 PM

The article does link this thread as a source.

#56 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,614 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 12:05 PM

:confused: maybe you're seeing something I'm not, but I sure don't see or find any link or reference to this thread, or DBSTalk. :confused:
A.K.A VOS

#57 ONLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 9,015 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 11 October 2010 - 12:23 PM

I may be a slow reader, but.... I didn't see it.

#58 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,909 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 11 October 2010 - 12:40 PM

Look next to the word "Source" at the bottom of the article :)

#59 ONLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 9,015 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 11 October 2010 - 01:05 PM

That's pretty funny, I guess I am slow.:lol:

Really though, the link I clicked on didn't have it. It wasn't until I clicked on the "full experience" link did I see it.

#60 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,614 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 01:06 PM

This is what I get from your link:
DirecTV's Nomad might satisfy our thirst for content on the go - Engadget_1286823853266.png

:confused:
A.K.A VOS

spam firewall