Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Caller ID question for DirecTivo

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
24 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,185 posts

Posted 03 November 2003 - 01:33 PM

DirecTivo does not have caller ID correct? Anyone know of plans to incorporate caller ID into DirecTivo units? Any hacks available?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Chaos

Chaos

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 437 posts

Posted 03 November 2003 - 01:59 PM

Series 1 boxes have hacks. They (like most other hacks) don't work on the newest generation of boxes. :-( I miss my Caller ID, too.

#3 OFFLINE   cnsf

cnsf

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 03 November 2003 - 02:33 PM

No hacks for Series II, unfortunately.
Choice Xtra Plus HD DVR and NY DMA Locals, (1) HDVR2 Series II DirecTivo (upgraded to 160GB), (1) HR20-700, (1) HR23-700

Windows Home Server, 2 TB storage, Gigabit LAN

#4 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 03 November 2003 - 05:12 PM

Has anybody tried this?

http://shop.store.ya...scount/tv1.html

#5 OFFLINE   DBSPaul

DBSPaul

Mentor/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 03 November 2003 - 05:12 PM

No hacks for Series II, unfortunately.

Well, technically, adding/expanding the hard drive is a hack.. But yes, the fun things like TiVoWeb and other fun goodies are Series I only hacks. And I seriously doubt TiVo wants to pay the patent royalties for CID on screen. Plus it would have to be done by D* given how they support the DirecTiVo boxes .. TiVo is just a software contractor now, essentially. :(

#6 OFFLINE   spanishannouncetable

spanishannouncetable

Icon

• Registered
  • 717 posts

Posted 03 November 2003 - 07:12 PM

This is one of the most requested features for the DirecTiVo.

This is also the most ignored request.

The tivocommunity has been after both Directv and TiVo for years to add it, and all we get is a lot of hemming and hawing and stonewalling.

Who does a subscriber have to have sex with at Directv to get this added ? :D
Fox News : It grows on you... kinda like cancer.

#7 OFFLINE   Karl Foster

Karl Foster

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 03 November 2003 - 11:08 PM

Who does a subscriber have to have sex with at Directv to get this added ? :D

The developer of Ultimatetv software! It was added to Ultimatetv with software release 3.7 last spring. I know it doesn't help here and is totally non-constructive to the discussion, but I couldn't help myself...
"If you took the time to get to know me, well, you'd be wasting your time. I am exactly who you think I am." - Earl Hickey

#8 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 04 November 2003 - 09:56 AM

Nope, not available. And I have never understood why any would even want the feature anyway. I had it on my old stand alone receiver and it annoyed the crud out of me so I turned it off. I have caller ID on my phone if I care to see who is calling. :D

#9 OFFLINE   timf

timf

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 254 posts

Posted 04 November 2003 - 10:53 AM

This is one of the most requested features for the DirecTiVo.

This is also the most ignored request.

You think so? I seemed to think that Home Media Option was the most requested and ignored feature for the D-TiVos.

#10 OFFLINE   cnsf

cnsf

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 04 November 2003 - 10:54 AM

Well, technically, adding/expanding the hard drive is a hack.. But yes, the fun things like TiVoWeb and other fun goodies are Series I only hacks. And I seriously doubt TiVo wants to pay the patent royalties for CID on screen. Plus it would have to be done by D* given how they support the DirecTiVo boxes .. TiVo is just a software contractor now, essentially. :(

Sorry, meant to say "No Caller ID hacks for Series II."
Choice Xtra Plus HD DVR and NY DMA Locals, (1) HDVR2 Series II DirecTivo (upgraded to 160GB), (1) HR20-700, (1) HR23-700

#11 OFFLINE   cnsf

cnsf

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 04 November 2003 - 10:56 AM

You think so? I seemed to think that Home Media Option was the most requested and ignored feature for the D-TiVos.

HMO isn't ignored, they've just chosen not to do anything about it.

I don't know how they could ignore that HUGE petition on Tivocommunity.com.

#12 OFFLINE   DBSPaul

DBSPaul

Mentor/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 04 November 2003 - 03:09 PM

HMO isn't ignored, they've just chosen not to do anything about it.

I don't know how they could ignore that HUGE petition on Tivocommunity.com.

Simple: how many combo units are in use vs. how many people have signed that petition? I'd guess the ratio is like 1% at most. Plus, since D* now provides support for the "DirecTV DVR Receiver (in little words: powered by TiVo)", they would be signing up for supporting HMO issues. Also, I seriously doubt anything like HMO was in the contract signed between D* and TiVo when the change occurred to de-emphasize TiVo and make it a D* product. So if you're D*, you would incur more support costs in training your CSRs about things that start to look more like computers than a TV receiver, and TiVo is gonna want more $$ in royalties or however their payment stuff works from D*.

For a company still on the selling block, it would have to be a very compelling item to go through that hassle (ie. large return on investment). How do you sell it? Give it to everyone but add to their monthly fees (angry users), make it a separate package like TiVo does on the standalones (confusion and more explanation and marketing work), ... ??

We can all want it, but the simple fact is until you can come up with a compelling business reason to do it, there is NO incentive for D* to do it. :mad:

#13 OFFLINE   cnsf

cnsf

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 04 November 2003 - 03:34 PM

Has anybody tried this?

http://shop.store.ya...scount/tv1.html

No S-Video throughput....unfortunately.

#14 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,580 posts

Posted 09 November 2003 - 04:20 PM

I have a Dish Network 301 receiver I use for the Superstation Pack. It HAD Caller ID enabled. I use this to record to my DVD recorder for later playback. Well, I got a caller ID showing up on the recording. Not a big deal, since the 301 isn't a primary source for live shows, the caller ID is useless. I have a cordless phone with Caller/Name ID display.

#15 OFFLINE   Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 09 November 2003 - 04:30 PM

I love the caller id function of my Dish receivers. If I don't want to get up and answer the phone because of work or telemarketers with un available calls, I can just let the machine get it and I never have to leave my couch. Great Invention!!

#16 OFFLINE   BurgEnder

BurgEnder

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 10 November 2003 - 02:34 AM

Also consider the fact they might fear the wrath of the MPAA after some hacker determines how to intercept packets going from one Tivo unit to another in the same home, saving content to their computer's HDD, and making either DVD copies of it or putting it on a filesharing service. Or even someone creating like a "virtual LAN" tunneling client for your PC that allows you to share content with other users around the country. Personally if they did ever offer the HMO i'd get it in a heartbeat. As it stands i'll probably end up getting a couple SA ReplayTV units due to the fact that a few of my friends have it and have the ability to share content.

#17 OFFLINE   Karl Foster

Karl Foster

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,849 posts

Posted 10 November 2003 - 11:52 AM

I love the caller id function of my Dish receivers. If I don't want to get up and answer the phone because of work or telemarketers with un available calls, I can just let the machine get it and I never have to leave my couch. Great Invention!!

So is a cordless phone with built-in caller ID.... :D
"If you took the time to get to know me, well, you'd be wasting your time. I am exactly who you think I am." - Earl Hickey

#18 OFFLINE   cnsf

cnsf

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 10 November 2003 - 12:44 PM

So is a cordless phone with built-in caller ID.... :D

Ah, but that entails moving the lazy ass when the phone isn't in reach or view......

#19 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,580 posts

Posted 11 November 2003 - 04:48 PM

One should always make sure that the cordless phone is within easy reach.:) If not, just let the answering machine pick up and return the call the next time you have to get up, if you know what I mean?

#20 OFFLINE   cnsf

cnsf

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 12 November 2003 - 10:15 AM

If the ass is lazy, so is the memory.....

Preparation? Seriously? :lol:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...