Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Intermittent (but reproducable) stuttering issues/802.11n - tips?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mikeromo

mikeromo

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 05:45 PM

hi there--

So, I realize that an 802.11n wireless network is not going to be the best solution for my DirecTV WHDVR service, but it's all I can do at this stage, and, the more I work with it, I am convinced my network is not the real culprit here. Here's the situation:

Equipment:

Downstairs - HR21-100 , plugged directly into Airport Extreme Basestation

Upstairs - HR23-700 , plugged into hub, which is plugged into an Airport Express, which is joining the Airport Extreme's network and distributing IP addresses via the built-in Ethernet. I use it for an XBox 360 as well.

The basestations are almost directly above each other, maybe 12' away, through the ceiling/floor.

The Airport Extreme's multicast settings have been changed from "Low" to "High" after hanging out a bit with "Medium".

Using the iStumbler application, I have confirmed that the network is an 802.11n network.

Problem:

While some content (HD content!) runs pretty much fine between the two boxes, I will still occasionally get the error that the source DVR is no longer available on the network. Most of the time, I just wait and the warning disappears. Annoying but at least I can watch the show.

However, I have a few shows that don't play well at all--they just stutter continuously. If I pause the show (and I guess fill up the buffer?), the show will run without stuttering for a few seconds, and then start stuttering again. This is happening with an SD show with 2 channel sound and an HD show with 6 channel sound.

Fix attempts include:

- moved the airport express basestation (upstairs one) higher up, away from all the cables, but this did nothing

- added another power strip upstairs to reduce the amount of cables around the airport express - no change

- moved the airport extreme (the one downstairs) from outside my (wood) cabinet, where it was resting on top of the DVR and moved it so it's right behind the TV, actually resting on the TV's base. No change, but better heat dissipation, so I am keeping it that way.

I have no problems streaming video and music throughout the house with other devices using the same setup (specifically music and video from a computer upstairs to my new AppleTV downstairs using the wireless network).

Any suggestions? I have reset both DVRs and don't know what to do. This was a major feature for me, and I have built up my entire system with WHDVR service in mind. I am renting and cannot tear holes into the walls to run ethernet cable.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

thanks,
-mike

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   armchair

armchair

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 06:10 PM

A DECA upgrade would use your existing coax to add MRV. To do it right you'd need to have an additional coax installed near your main router for the INTERNET Connection by using either a splitter from outside or from one of your receivers if more convenient (less intrusive). If the additional coax would be an issue, the wireless adapter could be used to make the hop to router instead.

If you're still needing the wireless, one solution for the dropping connection would be to use static IP addresses.

#3 OFFLINE   mikeromo

mikeromo

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 06:24 PM

Thanks for the reply!

I have been doing a search on DECA but I...well, I don't know what a DECA upgrade actually is! I assume I would call DirecTV about it?

That's interesting about the static IP addresses. I will try that out.

Thanks again!
mike

#4 OFFLINE   armchair

armchair

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 06:33 PM

There's a lot info in the sticky threads of the "Connected Home" forum. You can read up on it and make you're decisions about upgrading.

If you still need information, you could post a description of your setup and questions you may have.

#5 OFFLINE   armchair

armchair

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 06:37 PM

BTW, welcome to DBSTalk.com forums! :welcome_s

Directv can do it all for you; as you suspect, calling Directv would be an option to consider.

#6 OFFLINE   cherry919

cherry919

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 07:28 PM

Upstairs - HR23-700 , plugged into hub, which is plugged into an Airport Express

A switch, not a hub is what you really need.

#7 OFFLINE   doctrsnoop

doctrsnoop

Godfather

• Registered
  • 466 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 10:03 AM

I am no networking guru but every thing I tried eventually ended up with the same symptoms you describe. I went to Deca and all problems are gone

5 - HR22-100 4 via regular ethernet, 1 via DECA, 2 HR21-700 networked via regular ethernet, HR21-100 networked via DECA, H25-500
R15-500 Inactive, H20-600 (ECO 2.0) inactive,D11 (Humax LD2060) inactive
Slimline 5 w/ SWM8 parallel w/ SWM16 w/DECA

#8 OFFLINE   BruceS

BruceS

Icon

• Registered
  • 545 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted 08 October 2010 - 01:44 PM

Not everything.

Although my picture usually has no problems, I still have occasional audio dropouts when watching a recorded HD show.

The audio is not missing from the recording, since all I need to do is jump back about 30 seconds and hit play. Then the audio is fine.

I find this problem watching recordings on an HR20-700, HR21-200 or HR24-500 box connected directly to the TV I am watching.

I also have the same problem watching recording from any of the above DVR's on a HD24-100 connected to a different TV using Whole Home Connection. These boxes are all connected via DECA.
Hitachi P60X901 HDTV
HR21-200, HR20-700, HR24-500, HR44-500
Tivo S3, Tivo Premiere HDXL
Sony BDP-CX960 Blu Ray Player
Sony DVP-CX995V DVD Player
Marantz SR7001 A/V Receiver

#9 OFFLINE   mikeromo

mikeromo

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 01:21 PM

Thanks a lot for your help, everyone. I guess I will give DirecTV a call and ask them about the DECA based networking.

right on,
mike

#10 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,503 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 09 October 2010 - 02:45 PM

Thanks a lot for your help, everyone. I guess I will give DirecTV a call and ask them about the DECA based networking.

right on,
mike

That's the way to go. Keep us posted!
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#11 OFFLINE   mikeromo

mikeromo

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 02:49 PM

I actually ordered the DECA networking from DirecTV, then literally just cancelled it. They wanted $76 for installation, plus $3 a month for the service, on top of the $3 or so for the WHDVR option in the first place.

I think I am just going to order 100' of ethernet cable from Monoprice ($10) and run cable along the upstairs coax, drill a hole, run it outside the house with the existing coax and plug directly into the network. This should fix the issue. A little more work on my part, but cheaper and not that much work.

Now it's just a matter of doing this when the wife isn't around...!

thanks for your help. It's a bummer that the 802.11n wasn't robust enough. Let you know how it goes!!

-mike

#12 OFFLINE   armchair

armchair

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,188 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 12:19 PM

I actually ordered the DECA networking from DirecTV, then literally just cancelled it. They wanted $76 for installation, plus $3 a month for the service, on top of the $3 or so for the WHDVR option in the first place.

I think I am just going to order 100' of ethernet cable from Monoprice ($10) and run cable along the upstairs coax, drill a hole, run it outside the house with the existing coax and plug directly into the network. This should fix the issue. A little more work on my part, but cheaper and not that much work.

Now it's just a matter of doing this when the wife isn't around...!

thanks for your help. It's a bummer that the 802.11n wasn't robust enough. Let you know how it goes!!

-mike

Mike,

I think there was a misunderstanding on the additional $3 fee. I don't think they realized that you already have the unsupported MRV on your account. Switching to DECA would only mean going from unsupported to supported MRV. The fee is the same.

As far as the cost, you could do it cheaper and wired is a better method than any wireless. I had wired ETHERNET working well but preferred the DECA. It may be a matter preferences but in your case the convenience of DECA may outweigh the cost.

I'd still recommend the DECA upgrade in your case; Directv is offering an affordable upgrade which is actually better, faster & cheaper than a good wireless setup.

spam firewall