Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

VIP722 Loses Signal when stopping playback of recorded program

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Everlast

Everlast

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 06:53 PM

It doesn't happen every time, but enough to notice. Wondering if anyone else has experienced this...

Here's the situation.

With the 722 engaged and recording two other HD programs, we're watching a program that was previously recorded.

After reaching the end of the recorded program and deleting (with the two other programs still being recorded), my screen has gone blank (totally black) with no sound -- eventually the "Lost Signal" error message is displayed.

I have not seen this occur when only one program is being recorded.

I think if I omit deleting the program, the problem doesn't occur.

Anybody else experience this?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,871 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 08 October 2010 - 10:45 PM

Moving to the 722 discussion forum so you'll get more help...

I can't say as I've seen this myself. I have seen a brief pause and black screen sometimes when multi-tasking like you describe and deleting something... but I've never lost signal as a result.

How are your signal strengths? Could be if you have marginal signal it doesn't take much to task the receiver and lose the lock.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#3 OFFLINE   Everlast

Everlast

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 09:33 AM

Thanks for the reply Stewart. My signal strengths are good. Under normal circumstances, losing the signal is a very, very rare occurrence. I'm almost certain it has to do with the multi-tasking scenario. To the best of my recollection, this has been going on for several months. I'm only putting 2+2 together now since the Fall schedule kicked in and there is much more interesting programming on at the same time!

#4 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 09:59 AM

Are you sure you are losing the satellite signal?
Could you be losing the Video Signal instead?

Easy test, Look at the time when you get that message, then play one of the shows that was recording and see if there is a real signal loss.

I get a message like that once in a while from one of the devices in the chain between the 622 & the TV set.
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#5 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,871 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 09 October 2010 - 01:37 PM

Tboneit has a good point... are you sure it is the Dish receiver saying "lost signal" and not your HDTV indicating it has lost signal from the receiver?

I've been recording as many as 3 programs (1 OTA + 2 SAT) and watching a recording, and not had any signal loss issues... but I do see a temporary black screen sometimes when I delete something and it is processing that request.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#6 OFFLINE   Everlast

Everlast

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 02:47 PM

Thanks for the insights. I'll pay a little closer attention when this occurs again. It could very well be the case that my impatience is assuming a lost signal. So I reset the DVR and REALLY lose the signal! Appreciate the help.

#7 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 03:18 PM

I get the same loss of signal (Sat to 722k) as you do sometimes when stopping playback. It's definitely a DVR message box, not my TV. This is on a 722k running L667 with marginal signals (50s and 60s). I also have an OTA module installed.

#8 OFFLINE   Everlast

Everlast

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 09:46 AM

Tried to reproduce the error yesterday - somewhat artificially. I started recording two new programs (by pressing the "record" button, rather than using timers which is my real-life case) and watching a recorded program as I normally would (skipping commercials) to the end. When the recording option buttons appeared on screen, I selected "delete". Alas, no problem. The image on screen went to one of the two programs being recorded and not to a black screen with no sound as reported.

I guess I'll have to keep vigilant during my next, real-life, scenario.

Thanks again for the replies. I'll update here when I get more info.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...