Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Dish 922 SHould i get it

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   fraisa

fraisa

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 06:09 AM

Thinking of pulling the trigger and getting this unit..
Not going to use it for the internet ,
want it for the GUI Graphics and Speed of the unit...
Is this unit still full of problems

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 09 October 2010 - 10:15 AM

yes, but you willing spend $200 and pay $17 per month - go ahead

#3 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,481 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 09 October 2010 - 12:40 PM

Thinking of pulling the trigger and getting this unit..
Not going to use it for the internet ,
want it for the GUI Graphics and Speed of the unit...
Is this unit still full of problems

As P Smith says, if it's worth the cost to you for the graphics and speed, you probably will want to get it. Personally, I can't relate to that, but different strokes....

Regarding problems you should be checking the threads in the ViP922 DVR Support Forum.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#4 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 900 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 09 October 2010 - 01:37 PM

I've got the 922, it's interesting...colorful...fast...search is good...fun... :icon_da:I have the 722K also but I prefer the 922. As they say different strokes......the "Remote Access" is really great when it's working right, which is and has been sketchy. The 922 is getting better though, I had a 622 early on and it was buggy too, there's fair amount of selective memory with this stuff......:alterhase

:icon_band
Thank you and
Best of luck

#5 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,703 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 09 October 2010 - 01:50 PM

They aren't supposed to install one unless you connect it to the internet, though some have reported their installer didn't require it.

IF you don't plan on using the Sling feature, it's an awfully expensive upgrade to a 922 vs a 722K that does most of the other non-internet things.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#6 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 02:10 PM

They aren't supposed to install one unless you connect it to the internet, though some have reported their installer didn't require it.

IF you don't plan on using the Sling feature, it's an awfully expensive upgrade to a 922 vs a 722K that does most of the other non-internet things.

If you'll buy it [eBay ?] nothing will require.

You can use in inside of local network [at work ;)].

#7 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,703 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 09 October 2010 - 08:13 PM

If you'll buy it [eBay ?] nothing will require.

You can use in inside of local network [at work ;)].

Yeah, but buying one is even more expensive than the $200 lease upgrade... and it doesn't sound like he wants to use the internet with it or the Sling features... It sounded like he just wanted the new GUI.

#8 OFFLINE   shadough

shadough

Icon

• Registered
  • 671 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 09:29 PM

I'd say hold off until GoogleTV actualy works WITH this unit, and when they FINALLY release the multi room extender (whichever century that is).

http://shad.is.dream...fl/collect.html 1000 AFL games and counting......

#9 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 10:35 PM

Yeah, but buying one is even more expensive than the $200 lease upgrade... and it doesn't sound like he wants to use the internet with it or the Sling features... It sounded like he just wanted the new GUI.

Only double the price - $400..$500. Not that much, if you compare to good PC or notebook.

#10 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,703 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 10 October 2010 - 02:12 AM

Only double the price - $400..$500. Not that much, if you compare to good PC or notebook.

Perhaps... but the real point here is would you spend money to buy a Porsche if you only use it to drive to the end of the driveway and check the mail?

If you use all the 922 bells & whistles, it is well worth it... but if you aren't going to use them, any money extra is too much extra to spend and not use the features.

#11 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 02:03 PM

He he, it's not a close to Pinto - the price is not comparable for such sample. :D

It's in same range, if you can afford to pay the ridiculous 'jump into lease' fee, then you could pay full price and twist it as you wish. How much is 622 or 722 or 612 ? Same.

#12 OFFLINE   najaboy

najaboy

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 02:07 PM

I'd say hold off until GoogleTV actualy works WITH this unit, and when they FINALLY release the multi room extender (whichever century that is).

And what out there says that Google TV doesn't work with the 922? Logitech reports that they've tested the Revue with the 922 and it's compatible.

#13 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,703 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 10 October 2010 - 02:36 PM

He he, it's not a close to Pinto - the price is not comparable for such sample. :D

It's in same range, if you can afford to pay the ridiculous 'jump into lease' fee, then you could pay full price and twist it as you wish. How much is 622 or 722 or 612 ? Same.

The price for a 922 upgrade is not the same as for other receivers.

I could get a 622/722 for free. I don't know what a 722K is, but I know it isn't $200 to upgrade.

The real point here is the OP asking if the 922 is worth the upgrade if he isn't going to use the internet features... I just don't see how the 922 is worth it if you don't want to use the internet-connected features.

#14 OFFLINE   fredp

fredp

Legend

• Registered
  • 113 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 02:47 PM

... I just don't see how the 922 is worth it if you don't want to use the internet-connected features.

Plus the fact that the 922 still doesn't support EHD archiving like the other boxes have done for 3+ years... Talk about buying a pig in a polk..:eek2:

#15 OFFLINE   l8er

l8er

Icon

• Registered
  • 624 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 03:38 PM

.... Talk about buying a pig in a polk..:eek2:

Well, this is one pig in a poke that I've been enjoying for months now. It runs circles around the 722k and 622s I used to have, and the UI is simply amazing. It is every bit as reliable as the 722k, if not more so. Can't transfer to EHD? Big deal, 1TB stores a lot of HD.
-GA

#16 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 900 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 10 October 2010 - 03:55 PM

Plus the fact that the 922 still doesn't support EHD archiving like the other boxes have done for 3+ years... Talk about buying a pig in a polk..:eek2:

Do you have one?:grin: The only issue I have is with the "Remote Access" dealie...which the others 622,722,722K don't offer any way.:D The "TV Everywhere" is clearly in it's infancy/beta stage so I'm tagging along to see what happens.:alterhase Extra Hard-drives don't interest me, I'm not a archiver. To each his own but no reason disparage another's choices.....!pepsi!

:icon_band
Thank you and
Best of luck

#17 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,703 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 10 October 2010 - 06:51 PM

FYI for those not aware... I do have a 922 (a 622 and a 722 also)... I like my 922 and am glad to have it. I might even upgrade my 622 to another 922 at some point... but I like the internet features.

I can still recommend a 922 to anyone who wants a top-of-the-line receiver even with some of its flaws and current limitations... but to anyone who right off the bat isn't planning on using some of those features, I always recommend what I think is most appropriate for how the user actually intends to use the receiver.

#18 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 08:09 PM

While you are on the freindly path - how to UnLink the &^%&^% 32.0 remote ?
Holding it close to antenna and pressing SAT button for 3 or many seconds doesn't make it available for Link later. :(

#19 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,703 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 11 October 2010 - 12:34 AM

I have tested link/unlink but I only have the one remote that comes with the 922. It worked fine for me from the Menu+Menu screen where you see your firmware versions.

#20 OFFLINE   l8er

l8er

Icon

• Registered
  • 624 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 05:49 AM

.... how to UnLink the &^%&^% 32.0 remote ?

I haven't tried UNlink, but to link the 5 32.0 remotes I use with my 922, linking had to be done from the front panel of the 922.
-GA

Protected By... spam firewall...And...