Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Best Premium Channel Package? Opinions Please.

setup

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 07:53 AM

I'd have to go with Showtime. It has the most HD channels (10), compared to 8 with Starz, 4 with HBO, and 2 with Cinemax. Also everything on Showtime is in OAR. Also all Showtime package channels have VOD (as does Starz), HBO and Cinemax don't.

I agree with you on Showtime, mainly because of the # of HD channels and HD VOD. We like a few of the Showtime original programming series, for example Dexter. So I wait until its well into the season or even the end and then download the whole season and watch them during the month.

Then if I didn't get Showtime for free already, I drop it after a month. No penalty and I watch the whole season for $12.99 or less. And my wife does like to watch old movies and the her favorites more then one time. So she has Showtime movies to choose from during that month. Works out fine for us.
HR34-700, HR22-100

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   AlanSaysYo

AlanSaysYo

Legend

• Registered
  • 135 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 10:40 AM

I have Starz and Showtime. Originally I signed up for Showtime when the movies were plentiful - not so much anymore. While Showtime does have the most HD channels, they don't have a good flow of new titles. Showtime is great for originals, though, and that's why I still pay for it.

Starz also has a good number of HD channels but has a much better selection of movies. Starz to me is a better overall value than HBO in that it costs a little less but has more HD offerings. You also have to consider the originals - Starz only has a few and they're a mixed bag so far. I'd love to subscribe to HBO, but the lack of HD channels is keeping me from doing so. If DirecTV carried every HBO HD channel, it'd be a different story.

#23 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,120 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 11:37 AM

What is the best premium channel package on DirecTV?

Had HBO/Cinemax but got rid of it after the Sopranos was canceled.

Had Showtime for 3 months and it did not do much for me.

What is everyone's favorite premium channel package on DirecTV?

Opinions please.

HBO is the best for movies and STARZ is 2nd. Showtime blows.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#24 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,120 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 11:40 AM

I disagree about Netflix. I can DVR a movie on HBO and watch as many times I want. No messing with mailing anything.

+1

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

#25 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,355 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 11 October 2010 - 01:21 PM

Personally for me it would be Showtime right now because Dexter is on there and also I watch all of the main StrikeForce cards on there. That being said there is a 2 for 1 offer for 3 months. Sub to Showtime and then get Starz added free for 3 months. Can beat that. Starz would be my choice if it was movies only. Downloadable content and good movies alot of time with all the different channels.
Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#26 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 01:32 PM

You can stream all Starz content if you have Netflix. It's like getting a premium package for free with no discs to deal with.

#27 OFFLINE   spaul

spaul

Godfather

• Registered
  • 264 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 01:53 PM

I, agree with the Coca Cola Kid that out of the 4 Showtime has the most HD .I do get HBO,Cinemax & Starz as well as HD Extra Pak too.Like I mentioned before my wife and me watch alot of movies and also many of the original programs available on them.That being said if I had to drop one for saving money it would be Cinemax because of lack of original showes and the amount of HD available right now .Also,their movies end up on HBO anyway.

#28 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 02:03 PM

If I didn't have Premier..I'd only go with HBO (Boardwalk Empire, Hung, The Ricky Gervais Show, Eastbound & Down, True Blood, Entourage, Curb Your Enthusiasm, and Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel), Showtime (Dexter, Nurse Jackie, United States of Tara, Penn & Teller, Inside the NFL, and The Big C), and the HD Extra Pack (HDNet Movies).
DTV = Digital Television

#29 OFFLINE   cyfman

cyfman

AllStar

• Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 02:07 PM

You can stream all Starz content if you have Netflix. It's like getting a premium package for free with no discs to deal with.

I just hooked my Blu-Ray player and got Netflix again. I was looking around for Spartacus and only found it on disks.

I could have missed it though,any tips or help will be much appreciated.

#30 OFFLINE   SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER

Freethinker

• Registered
  • 3,178 posts
  • LocationMason, MI

Posted 11 October 2010 - 02:21 PM

For me, Premier w/HD Extra is the easy choice. Tons of HD all the time. I always have something to watch in HD either recorded or live. If I were to ever downgrade I'd keep HBO due to their outstanding (IMO) original programming, sports and A-list premiers.

Living Room:
Sony KDL-55EX720
HR44-700
AM21
Sony BDP-S360 Networked
Bedroom:
Sony KDL-40EX720
HR24-200
Sony DVP-NS75H

#31 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 02:33 PM

I just hooked my Blu-Ray player and got Netflix again. I was looking around for Spartacus and only found it on disks.

I could have missed it though,any tips or help will be much appreciated.

It was there while is was running. That's how I watched it (as much as I could stand anyway). I don't think it's running on Starz anymore, streaming or otherwise. I think they're trying to sell blu-rays now.

#32 OFFLINE   cyfman

cyfman

AllStar

• Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 02:49 PM

It was there while is was running. That's how I watched it (as much as I could stand anyway). I don't think it's running on Starz anymore, streaming or otherwise. I think they're trying to sell blu-rays now.

Thanks for the quick reply and the heads up.

#33 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 04:12 AM

Um, yes, if you have broadband and it is fast enough.

Millions of us don't have that.

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

#34 OFFLINE   ycebar

ycebar

Legend

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 05:10 AM

I have Premiere but if I could only choose to keep it would be Showtime with original programming, mma, and boxing. Second would be HBO

#35 OFFLINE   Koby

Koby

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 12:09 PM

I just downgraded from Premiere after having it for many years. I temorarily had Choice Ultimate, but it looks much better on paper than it really is- TMC & Encore are basically useless. So I dropped Ultimate and added HBO (mostly for the original shows) which was a $10 delta. (YMMV, sounds like some prefer the Showtime shows.)

Either way, I think this is the best package - Premiere is not worth the ~$40 premium. Yes, there's usually a good movie on, but with judicious use of the guide and DVR, I can store up enough content on the DVR and whatever I'm missing is not worth the $400+ year I'd be paying for it.

#36 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,120 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 12:46 PM

I just downgraded from Premiere after having it for many years. I temorarily had Choice Ultimate, but it looks much better on paper than it really is- TMC & Encore are basically useless. So I dropped Ultimate and added HBO (mostly for the original shows) which was a $10 delta. (YMMV, sounds like some prefer the Showtime shows.)

Either way, I think this is the best package - Premiere is not worth the ~$40 premium. Yes, there's usually a good movie on, but with judicious use of the guide and DVR, I can store up enough content on the DVR and whatever I'm missing is not worth the $400+ year I'd be paying for it.

TMC has really low budget movies that nobody heard of.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

#37 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,998 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 25 October 2010 - 12:49 PM

TMC has really low budget movies that nobody heard of.

Yea, like "Inglourious Basterds" which is on today which won and Oscar, SAG for best supporting actor for one of the stars. :sure:

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#38 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,400 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 01:21 PM

Get a library card and pick up free DVDs :)

#39 OFFLINE   Jon J

Jon J

Grouch Extrordinaire

• Registered
  • 1,154 posts
  • LocationMusic City, USA

Posted 25 October 2010 - 02:29 PM

I just noticed on the DIRECTV website you can get the HBO/Cinemax combo for 3 months for $14.99 per month...a $12 discount.
When news breaks...we fix it.

#40 OFFLINE   EW800

EW800

AllStar

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 03:21 PM

I just noticed on the DIRECTV website you can get the HBO/Cinemax combo for 3 months for $14.99 per month...a $12 discount.

Pretty good deal. I just wish that the deal was for longer than 3 months!
DirecTV
2 - HR24-100's
1 - H24-100
1 - H21-200

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: setup

Protected By... spam firewall...And...