Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Best Premium Channel Package? Opinions Please.

setup

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Xsabresx

Xsabresx

Icon

• Registered
  • 981 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 03:48 PM

For me, Premier w/HD Extra is the easy choice. Tons of HD all the time. I always have something to watch in HD either recorded or live.

For the most part I agree with this but I have to say that if Netflix continues to add to their streaming content, I may find myself downgrading soon.
since 2001

HR20-700 -- LG 55LH55 LCD
HR23-700 -- Sony KDL-60EX500 LCD
HR21-100 --Vizio VA26LHDTV10T
H24-100 -- Hitachi 51F59 Rear Projection
H24-100 -- Some tube that wont die

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   pablo

pablo

Icon

• Registered
  • 903 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 05:06 PM

Downgrading would mean losing my grandfathered free DVR service. So Premiere it is. Plus I get to watch everything.

#43 OFFLINE   sdirv

sdirv

Icon

• Registered
  • 524 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 05:27 PM

I disagree about Netflix. I can DVR a movie on HBO and watch as many times I want. No messing with mailing anything.

I use Netflix......only about 40K titles available for me to view as often as I please. Most in HD, many in 1080P, now with DD5.1 surround sound. No discs, no mail.......I just choose them and watch them instantly, don't even need a DVR.

I do get a few discs in the mail, no "messing" with it though......just stick 'em in the mailbox and a couple days later another one shows up. So easy even a caveman can do it :lol:

On the other hand...I've got D*'s Premier package, so I have all the premiums, plus the HD Max Pack......so I can not only watch/DVR just about anything I please, and I can access D*'s VOD stuff too......

Best of both worlds......

Edited by sdirv, 25 October 2010 - 05:32 PM.

#44 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 05:32 PM

What is the best premium channel package on DirecTV?

Had HBO/Cinemax but got rid of it after the Sopranos was canceled.

Had Showtime for 3 months and it did not do much for me.

What is everyone's favorite premium channel package on DirecTV?

Opinions please.

Depends what you want.

Starz has about 900 unique movies a month over 15 channels....8 in HD. Some original series as well. Also has VOD content.

HBO has 8 channels, 4 in HD Slightly higher price. Definitely known for original content but still has movies, too. Tends to have a slightly more left of center ideology (Bill Maher, etc).

Cinemax has 3 channels, 2 in HD. Owned by HBO.

Showtime has 13 channels, 10 in HD. Mix of movies and original programming. Also has VOD content.

What many people don't realize is that the studios have exclusive deals with these Premium networks. As a result, a movie that is on HBO will not appear on Starz or Showtime.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#45 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 05:48 PM

Premiere.

Yup. If you look at the package discount it clearly is, and even more so if you would buy the sports pack anyway.

Edited by georule, 25 October 2010 - 05:59 PM.

#46 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,026 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 25 October 2010 - 06:10 PM

What many people don't realize is that the studios have exclusive deals with these Premium networks. As a result, a movie that is on HBO will not appear on Starz or Showtime.

And that's why it would be nice if Epix channels were added.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#47 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 06:27 PM

And that's why it would be nice if Epix channels were added.

Well, we can thank Epix for shooting themselves in the foot as far as carriage goes.
DTV = Digital Television

#48 OFFLINE   Joe Diver

Joe Diver

AllStar

• Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 08:00 PM

I have always had the top tier package with whatever service I have at the time, so I always get them all....but if I had to pick a favorite or if I had to have 1 only, it would be HBO....simply because I've had HBO forever...since Jr High when cable TV first hit my home town in 1980....so that's what, 30 years of watching HBO?
DirecTV Premier
NFL Sunday Ticket, NHL Center Ice
HR24-100 --> Mits WD52628 (HDMI) and Pioneer VSX1015TX (Toslink)
Bose 601 Series 3 Mains, VS100 Center, 301 Series 3 Surrounds.
Apple TV2, Xbox360, PS3

#49 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,026 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 08:41 PM

Well, we can thank Epix for shooting themselves in the foot as far as carriage goes.

So Verizon FIOS, Cox, Mediacom, Charter and Dish (yea cheap Charlie) could come to an agreement but DirecTV can't?

#50 OFFLINE   irod87

irod87

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 11:45 PM

I like showtime for the MMA,Weeds,Dexter,Nurse Jackie and Inside the NFL.

#51 OFFLINE   SPECIES11703

SPECIES11703

AllStar

• Registered
  • 95 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 12:06 AM

Just HBO for me. Boxing and Comedy specials.
DirecTV Customer since 4/2000, VERIZON FIOSTV CUSTOMER
DirecTV HR23-100, FIOS HD DVR
R15-500 (2) R15-300 (1) DirecTV Tivo (2)
HDTV SAMSUNG 46" LN46B550K
INTERNET PROVIDER: VERIZON FIOS 35/35

#52 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,838 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 04:10 AM

TMC has really low budget movies that nobody heard of.

Yes, a lot of them do fall into this category.

TMC is a great source for these obscure movies that you can't even find on Blu-ray.

And as far as Epix goes, the ones who want it would probably pay for it.

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

#53 OFFLINE   scoop8

scoop8

Godfather

• Registered
  • 482 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted 26 October 2010 - 05:43 AM

Depends what you want.

Starz has about 900 unique movies a month over 15 channels....8 in HD. Some original series as well. Also has VOD content.

HBO has 8 channels, 4 in HD Slightly higher price. Definitely known for original content but still has movies, too. Tends to have a slightly more left of center ideology (Bill Maher, etc).

Cinemax has 3 channels, 2 in HD. Owned by HBO.

Showtime has 13 channels, 10 in HD. Mix of movies and original programming. Also has VOD content.

That is part of the reason that I stayed with Premiere. I looked into downgrading a while back but wasn't going to save much if I added a standalone movie pack that I wanted to keep without Premiere.

I understand the Netflix group, those that use them instead of the movie pkgs but I'm not a Netflix subs so I'm satisfied with Premiere.
DirecTV Subs since '99 - Currently out of contract
Prog Svc: DTV Premier Pkg, NFL ST, MLB EI, CI
Dish: Slimline 5LNB
Receivers: HD-DVR HR22-100, HD H23-600
Display: PANNY Plasma TH50PZ85U
DVD Player: Std Upconvert Region-Free Pioneer DV-400V

#54 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 07:48 AM

So Verizon FIOS, Cox, Mediacom, Charter and Dish (yea cheap Charlie) could come to an agreement but DirecTV can't?

They came to an agreement for carriage prior to the Epix/Netflix deal.
DTV = Digital Television

#55 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,026 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 07:56 AM

They came to an agreement for carriage prior to the Epix/Netflix deal.

So what precludes DirecTV from siging an agreement with Epix because of that? Cable/satellite will still have exclusive access to Epix films for 90 days before Netflix is allowed to distribute them.

#56 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 08:09 AM

So what precludes DirecTV from siging an agreement with Epix because of that? Cable/satellite will still have exclusive access to Epix films for 90 days before Netflix is allowed to distribute them.

• Epix is very expensive.
  • The Epix/Netflix agreement has had an effect. Other providers have openly stated this as their reason for not carrying it. Here is an article about one such case: http://latimesblogs....ie-channel.html
  • Epix streams their own content online, while providers are gearing up for TV Everywhere.

For personal reasons, lack of OAR, I don't care if it is ever added.
DTV = Digital Television

#57 OFFLINE   pablo

pablo

Icon

• Registered
  • 903 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 10:50 AM

Well Epix premieres movies no other premium does, so I want it.

#58 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,026 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 11:00 AM

Well Epix premieres movies no other premium does, so I want it.

Bingo.

#59 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,590 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 01:06 PM

• Epix is very expensive.
  • The Epix/Netflix agreement has had an effect. Other providers have openly stated this as their reason for not carrying it. Here is an article about one such case: http://latimesblogs....ie-channel.html
  • Epix streams their own content online, while providers are gearing up for TV Everywhere.

So, the attitude there from TWC (and presumably DirecTV) is that people who care about Epix should sign-up with Netflix. Yeah, great logic there. Force your customers to a competitor where they might decide after some experience that YOU made them undertake that maybe they can do without your premiums after all. Brilliant.

So when can we look forward to TWC and DirecTV dropping all the channels that Comcast and DISH carry on the same theory?

#60 OFFLINE   QuickDrop

QuickDrop

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 03:50 PM

I'm sure there is a clearer way to do it, but... All information comes from Wikipedia:

Showtime:

As of 2010, Showtime holds first-run premium cable rights to films from Summit Entertainment, The Weinstein Company, Miramax Films (also including rights to Dimension Films releases), First Look Pictures, IFC Films (rights are shared with Starz), ThinkFilm and Anchor Bay Entertainment. Showtime holds sub-run rights to films from MGM, United Artists, Sony Pictures Entertainment, Paramount Pictures, Walt Disney Motion Pictures Group.

Starz:

Starz is known to air new hit movies and premiering a new movie every Saturday night on Starz Saturday Premiere. Starz and its fellow movie channels have exclusive film output deals with the Walt Disney Motion Pictures Group (including Walt Disney Pictures, Touchstone Pictures, and Hollywood Pictures), Sony Pictures Entertainment (including Columbia Pictures [alongside films produced by Revolution Studios (2001–2007)], Sony Pictures Classics, Screen Gems, TriStar), Overture Films (also owned by Starz' parent, Liberty Media), Yari Film Group, and Warren Miller Films, among other leading distributors.

Starz also airs older titles from Time Warner subsidiaries (Warner Bros., New Line Cinema, Turner Entertainment), 20th Century Fox, MGM, Miramax Films, and Universal Studios.

Usually films which Starz has pay-cable rights will also run on Encore and MoviePlex during its time of license.

HBO:

As of 2010[update] HBO has exclusive deals with DreamWorks Animation,[25] Twentieth Century Fox, Universal Studios, Rogue Pictures, Focus Features, and network sister-companies New Line Cinema and Warner Bros.

HBO also shows sub-runs (runs of films that have already received broadcast network/syndicated television releases) of theatrical films from Paramount Pictures (usually up until 1997), Universal Pictures, Walt Disney Motion Pictures Group, Sony Pictures, Twentieth Century Fox (select films from all five studios are shared with Starz and Encore), MGM, and Lionsgate. HBO also has exclusive pay-cable rights to its own in-house theatrical films made through HBO Films.

Usually films which HBO has pay-cable rights will also run on Cinemax during its time of license.

Cinemax:

Cinemax (through HBO) currently has exclusive deals with sister company Warner Bros. (along with New Line Cinema), DreamWorks and 20th Century Fox. In addition, it holds partial pay-cable rights to movies produced by Universal Studios (along with Rogue Pictures and Focus Features). Films that HBO has pay-cable rights to air will also run on Cinemax during that time of license.

Cinemax had for some time continued to air films from the 1950s, '60s and '70s in the morning hours, but these movies for the most part have since been relegated to MoreMax and 5StarMax. Cinemax rarely airs family films during the morning hours, instead opting to air R or PG-13 rated films. Max also produces documentary programming under the banner Max Reel Life. Cinemax has also ran since 1993, an annual film festival called The Summer of 1000 Movies, in which the channel claims to run 1000 films (many with a similar subject) over the course of each summer.

The Movie Channel:

The Movie Channel (through Showtime) currently has exclusive deals with major and smaller independent movie studios. After being acquired by Viacom in 1994, Paramount Pictures began an output deal with Showtime and The Movie Channel (then also owned by Viacom), effective after 1997. In addition to Paramount, The Movie Channel and Showtime have agreements with IFC Films (which shares pay-cable release rights with Starz) and THINKFilm among others. Paramount Pictures' contract with the channel expired for films released on and after January 1, 2008. United Artists and Lionsgate contract expired for titles released theatrically on January 1, 2009.[4] The Movie Channel's rival Epix currently holds rights to films from Paramount and Lionsgate (along with films from United Artists) as Paramount's parent company (and The Movie Channel's former parent) Viacom and Lionsgate co-own the channel, which debuted in October 2009.

The Movie Channel also sometimes plays a lot of classic movies from United Artists and Columbia Pictures, and some movies from the mid-to-late 1990s released by Sony Pictures Classics (whose parent Sony Pictures Entertainment shares pay-cable release rights with Starz, except for films produced by Revolution Studios and HBO).

The window between a film's initial release in theatres and its initial screening on Showtime and The Movie Channel is much larger than on HBO and Starz. Usually films for which Showtime has rights will also run on The Movie Channel during its time of license.

Epix :

Epix currently has exclusive deals with major and smaller independent movie studios. Films featured on the channel include recent releases from Viacom-owned Paramount Pictures (and their subsidiaries Paramount Vantage, MTV Films and Nickelodeon Movies), as well as titles from MGM (and its subsidiary United Artists) and Lionsgate (along with subsidiary Mandate Pictures). Prior to its launch, Epix also signed an exclusive first-run agreement with Samuel Goldwyn Films. The channel also signed an exclusive deal to carry 22 feature films from independent film studio Roadside Attractions.

The window between a film's initial release in theatres and its initial screening on Epix is stated to be slightly smaller than on HBO, Showtime and Starz, and will have a longer time of license than the other pay TV channels.[24] Epix's movie schedule is similar to that of the main Encore channel, in that recent film releases are mixed in with older films from the 1970s, 1980s and 1990s, and recently released films are often followed and/or preceded by older pre-1999 films in daytime and prime time slots.

The sad thing is that Showtime now probably has the worst film library, but are the best at respecting the OAR of films.

At this point, Showtime and HBO are probably equal in terms of original series, though HBO still probably has a leg up on original TV Movies, Miniseries, and "event" programming.

Starz has started their own original programming, but haven't reached the level of HBO and Showtime yet. Starz will be showing the next season of Torchwood, which is a very big "cult show" in the United States.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: setup

Protected By... spam firewall...And...