Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Why free dish hdtv commercial, when expired 09/28/10?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   canesice

canesice

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 06:00 PM

Why is dish network advertising free hd tv, with a message of "offer available through 09/28/2010" listed in the fine print on the bottom of the screen?

The ad just ran on NBC... 7:55pm eastern... Was in my market in Raleigh..

It is the commercial with Charlie saying he didnt use to have to pay for color tv...

very very strange.

It does happen to be 10/10/2010...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,462 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 10 October 2010 - 06:55 PM

I have to admit that I ignore the fine print since I know he's stretching the truth in that advert anyway... when he says "no charge for HD ever"... but then there are restrictions, so not everyone can get it.

I didn't notice they had the old date... but I think the offer is still valid and has been extended at least, so it's just the fine print that is wrong rather than being an expired offer.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#3 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,364 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 09:07 PM

The offers now expire 1/31/11. Either the station ran an old commercial or it wasn't updated.

*CREDIT FOR 12 MONTHS - Valid for first-time DISH Network customers only and requires 24-month commitment to Digital Home Advantage. A customer who subscribes to qualifying programming will receive a credit for each of the first 12 months. Customer must maintain qualifying programming to receive all credits. Offer expires 1/31/11.

**FREE HD FOR LIFE - $10/mo HD add-on fee waived for life of current account; requires 24-month agreement and continuous enrollment in AutoPay with Paperless Billing. Valid with America's Top 120, America's Top 120 Plus, America's Top 200, America's Top 250, America's "Everything" Pak; DishLATINO Dos or DishLATINO Max. Channel selection will vary based on selected package. Offer expires 1/31/11.

DISH Network now offers Standard Definition locals in 100% of markets and High Definition locals in over 94% of markets.

#4 OFFLINE   lee635

lee635

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 11:54 AM

Is this some sort of logic trap, how can free HD for life be only good for a limited time? It's like when the cap on the Advil bottle says not to take the pills if the seal is broken, but you must break the seal in order to get at the Advils inside... ;) ...Son, you got to be out of your mind to think I would discharge you on a section 8...

The offers now expire 1/31/11. Either the station ran an old commercial or it wasn't updated.

**FREE HD FOR LIFE - $10/mo HD add-on fee waived for life of current account; requires 24-month agreement and continuous enrollment in AutoPay with Paperless Billing. Valid with America's Top 120, America's Top 120 Plus, America's Top 200, America's Top 250, America's "Everything" Pak; DishLATINO Dos or DishLATINO Max. Channel selection will vary based on selected package. Offer expires 1/31/11.

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind. - Ghandi

#5 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,364 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 12:26 PM

Is this some sort of logic trap, how can free HD for life be only good for a limited time?

The offer is good for a limited time. If one accepts the offer before the end of the limited time you get free HD for as long as you maintain the same account and follow the terms of the offer.

Cancel service, drop autopay/paperless (if that is how you qualify for free HD) and free HD is lost. If you want free HD again after it is lost you need to follow the terms of the offer for free HD again ... if it is still being offered.

#6 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,325 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 12 October 2010 - 12:39 PM

My bill includes the line highlighted below:

Posted Image

In no way do I think that line represents free for "life." It represents free for "now."

Charlie's TV ads say you shouldn't have to pay for HD just like you didn't have to pay for color. The only way I would believe that was exactly the policy he intended, would be if that line on my bill wasn't there at all.

I already have a line for "America's Top 200" so why is there a need for a line on the bill relating to HD? Being the paranoid person I am, I think it is a placeholder just in case "circumstances change.":sure:

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#7 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,364 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 12:48 PM

Charlie's TV ads say you shouldn't have to pay for HD just like you didn't have to pay for color. The only way I would believe that was exactly the policy he intended, would be if that line on my bill wasn't there at all.

"HD Free" comes with terms. If you follow the terms you get free HD.

Mr Ergen also believes that you shouldn't have to pay for local TV stations and should be able to watch any affiliate from any market. Not paying for locals is rolling the price into the base packages ... watching any affiliate is illegal. So despite his beliefs, there are limits.

BTW: If you don't subscribe to HD or HD Free and have HD receivers DISH will place a 0.00 HD Enabling line item on your bill. This will enable your account to get the satellite HD versions of local channels and HD versions of any premium channels. The line on the bill is an artifact of the authorization system.

spam firewall