Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Adding Time to Sequential Programs?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Mike109

Mike109

Legend

• Registered
  • 250 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 09:32 PM

I recently got a 722k & optional OTA dual tuner module. I’m new to this, but here’s what I did.

The football game on CBS tends to run over. So I scheduled Amazing Race & added on 60 minutes. I then scheduled Undercover Boss, but since it would also be delayed I added on 60 minutes. I then scheduled CSI Miami & added 60 minutes in case it started late. I also added on the CBS News in order to cover all bases.

I did this using the OTA tuners. I figured no problem since each program should get assigned it’s own tuner. However I checked immediately after setting up the schedule & the DVR wiped out the additional 60 minutes. So I went back in & added the 60 minutes again. The DVR asked if I wanted to do this as a one time occurrence which I selected.

However when the programs recorded tonight they did not run the extra 60 minutes. It’s as if the DVR realized these programs were all on the same channel so why add 60 minutes because one leads into another. I set it up this way so my wife can select each program individually, watch it & then delete it. Unfortunately things did not work out as planned.

As I think about it, would this have worked if I changed the default start time from add 1 minute to 0 minutes. Or added only 59 minutes to the end? Or maybe used the satellite tuners which indicate whether #1 or #2 are being used.

Again since I’m new to this, I also set up a manual timer recording for 4.5 hours using the satellite tuner just to make sure I got everything. This appears to be working because it is still recording. But since everything runs together you cannot delete individual programs after watching.

Is there a recommended way to make sure the DVR adds time to the end of each program when they are on the same channel & run into each other?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   n0qcu

n0qcu

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 01:25 AM

You should have recorded 1 show OTA, one show on the mapped down sat channel and the third on the actual sat channel.
Kevin

3 Hoppers
3 Joeys, all wireless
1 Hopper 2.0
YES, all Hoppers can see the recordings on any Hopper.

#3 OFFLINE   Mike109

Mike109

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 250 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 09:49 AM

You should have recorded 1 show OTA, one show on the mapped down sat channel and the third on the actual sat channel.

How do I find the actual sat channel? The only sat CBS channel I see is the local channel number?

Last week I alternated between OTA & sat tuners. But I thought why not just use the OTA tuners & keep the sat tuners free in case they might be needed for sat channels.

I think I found the answer - actual channels are the 4 digit ones. I'll play around with this some more. It would be nice though if the OTA tuners were labeled so that you could tell which one was doing what.

Edited by Mike109, 11 October 2010 - 10:56 AM.
added info

spam firewall