Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

771A Searching for Satellite

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bradfjoh

bradfjoh

Legend

• Registered
  • 167 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 10:20 PM

This afternoon while watching Sunday ticket, i hit the down arrow key to enable DoublePlay and as soon as I did, the screen with Grey. I ended up having to reboot and when I did, I received a 771a searching for signal error.

I have 2 receivers and this is only happening in the Living Room. Master Bedroom is fine.

I had never heard of the error, I went through rebooting a bunch of times and finally called Cust Service. First thing she had me do was turn off the power adapter for the satellite (I think that's what it's called). Then reboot.

The reboot did not work. After about 20 minutes, the CSR stated that b/c i'd had more than 3 771 errors in the past, that my call woudl be handled by a manager who would call within 2 hrs to work with me on it.

They never called.

I then came on here and remembered about the diagnostics screen at bootup. I went through a number of HD tests and they all passed. I then noticed the 3490 SWM Test -- and it passed. I allowed the reboot to continue and everything seemed to be working fine.

Fast forward about 2 hrs. Same issue. I try rebooting etc... Nothing works. I go into the diagnostic screens, run the SWM test again and now I get a:
FAIL - 0x47 error.

Any ideas as to what could be wrong? i checked all the connections and everything seems to be fine.

By the way, I never had SWM before, but about 2 weeks ago a technician was out to check on the 771 errors i was getting and they switched out some cables and added SWM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Lyle Thorogood

Lyle Thorogood

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 11:54 PM

I went through this same problem with my h21. I started losing all channels from the 99© (DirecTV-11) satellite. After waiting 5 days for a new unit due to equipment shortage I got a refurbished unit, that did the same thing except with the 103(ca) satellite. I tried everything you did. Moved to different rooms etc. I even took the unit to my dad's house. Same thing. Again they sent another unit. This time I noticed it was slightly different. Made in China. I hooked it up and it failed the 103(ca) satellite again and I got real angry. But... I checked the channels and everything was present. I was able to get through the 1800 number with a pin number, that's the trick. The tech was very helpful and honestly said that they have a lot of units failing.

Ask for tech support, the 1800 number and a pin to get through! Good luck!

#3 OFFLINE   bradfjoh

bradfjoh

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 167 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 08:04 AM

yeah, it is certainly frustrating.

Now I can access the playlist. i watch a show from the playlist and at the end, the channel that the TV was on shows up. I hit the guide and get all the information, change to any channel and the tv goes grey and I have the same Searching for Signal error message.

Update: So, after the DVR basically rebooted itself the entire day on Monday -- I mean that literally... THe DVR woudl bootup see the 771a message and then go to a more info dialog box and then re-boot... Time after time after time.

This morning (Tuesday) I wake up and turn on teh TV and it's like there is no problems whatsoever. Sonuva. The tech call is tomorrow.

Another odd thing, Tuesday evening I noticed that many of the season passes are gone. Our family had 50 and tonight when I looked it was down to 19. Only thing I can think of is that each reboot was taking one off - since it was rebooting the entire day on Monday

Edited by bradfjoh, 12 October 2010 - 11:03 PM.

#4 OFFLINE   bradfjoh

bradfjoh

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 167 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 11:02 AM

Update... DirecTV tech came out today and ended up giving me a new DVR. Said the dish was aligned properly and all the other connections tested out good.

I got an HR24/200

#5 OFFLINE   WilsonFlyer

WilsonFlyer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 373 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 05:40 AM

I had this same problem on an HR24 about a week ago and it about drove me crazy. Fortunately, I had just added a moved an HR20 to my shop the day before it happened so I knew that something had changed on the splitter (since I added a new device to fill the splitter).

I worried with it for a couple of days and even changed out the power inserter to a new one (I had a spare) all to no avail.

Just for fun and since I didn't want to lose my HR24 and have it swapped out for an HR20, I decided to swap/"room" attached to the leg with the power inserter. The DVR that WAS having the problem was the power inserter line, BTW. I moved the "new" receiver in the shop to the power inserter line and put the HR24 where the shop one was (essentially swapped them).

It's been a week and neither one has burped since.

For what it's worth, the "shop" machine was a new run and was buried RG6U but I think the grander point might be that it is definately the LONGER run of all attached to the SWM splitter.

Don't know why but it seems to have fixed my problems and "saved" me my HR24. I thought it was a goner for sure.

spam firewall