Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Contract renewal options or make the switch?

tile

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   wg8170

wg8170

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 02:44 PM

My parents are looking to dump cable and I was going to set them up on DTV. When I went through the online sign-up, I was amazed at the deals they cut for new customers. Basically half of what I currently pay for the same package and add-ons. I am well past my two-year commitment and was wondering what my options were.

I currently have an HR-20, and SD Tivo and and two old Hughes SD receivers. I would like to upgrade everything to Whole-home compatible equipment as well as save a little on my monthly bill.

My parents costs, as new customers either way, are about the same on DTV and Dish. I however would save substantially by making the switch assuming DTV isn't willing to cut me a deal.

Personally I would prefer to stick with DTV, just because it would be convenient, but I have several friends with Dish who are perfectly happy.

Any suggestions on how to approach this with DTV?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,433 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 11 October 2010 - 02:49 PM

1-800-DIRECTV

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#3 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 06:32 PM

All similar companies give the best deals to new customers, as that's how you get new customers. Likely you got some discounts when you first signed up too (though if you've had DirecTV long enough, maybe not).

Anyway, don't expect to get a new customer offer, because you won't, from any provider where you are an EXISTING customer. But you will probably get some kind of discounted equipment upgrade if you call.

You are only a NEW customer once, and while switching can result in a temporary lower monthly cost, many folks find that with multiple advanced receivers, the cost to switch is high. Make sure you fully evaluate your situation, and run the numbers for the next 2 years, as you'll be in a 2-year contract either way.

#4 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 06:35 PM

Likely you got some discounts when you first signed up too (though if you've had DirecTV long enough, maybe not).

:) I got to pay $800 for a RCA "room heater" single tuner SD receiver, an 18" dish, and a single LNB. Then I got a deal on the install kit with coax, and a little compass for $50.

Programming was a lot cheaper then though...Think it was $39 for everything from DirecTv. Cant remember what the movie packages from USSB cost.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#5 OFFLINE   davel

davel

Godfather

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 06:43 PM

My friend had the same issue, all he did was sign back up under a new account and cancel under the old one. Phh at the one time only deals!

#6 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 06:45 PM

:) I got to pay $800 for a RCA "room heater" single tuner SD receiver, an 18" dish, and a single LNB. Then I got a deal on the install kit with coax, and a little compass for $50.

Programming was a lot cheaper then though...Think it was $39 for everything from DirecTv. Cant remember what the movie packages from USSB cost.

Me too, though I bought a Sony SAT-A2 receiver and the Sony dish with the DUAL output LNB! Woo-hoo! It was my first of what turned out to be THOUSANDS of DBS installs...

#7 OFFLINE   wg8170

wg8170

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 07:11 PM

My friend had the same issue, all he did was sign back up under a new account and cancel under the old one. Phh at the one time only deals!

That's what I thought about doing, but I thought the "new customer" or "fist time customer" deal was based on physical address meaning if you ever had service at that address, you were SOL.

#8 OFFLINE   robl45

robl45

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 08:15 PM

i thought its x amount of years before they would consider you new again? thats how every other company does it. personally, its a no brainer, if they won't deal, go to dish. companies wrongfully target new people forgetting that losing the existing ones is worse.

#9 OFFLINE   mpinales

mpinales

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 08:24 PM

I recently switched from Dish to Directv. The savings was really great. I asked if Dish would meet the price, and they said no. About a month later they called with a great price...too late. Seems the left hand (retention) doesn't know what the right hand (new customers) is doing.

#10 OFFLINE   robl45

robl45

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 08:42 PM

I recently switched from Dish to Directv. The savings was really great. I asked if Dish would meet the price, and they said no. About a month later they called with a great price...too late. Seems the left hand (retention) doesn't know what the right hand (new customers) is doing.

dish did the same to me, i begged them for a long time to come out and fix the rain fade, they kept wanting to charge me, when I called to cancel because I got uverse, then they were ready to send someone out free of charge and give me a large discount.

#11 OFFLINE   Manctech

Manctech

Icon

• Registered
  • 542 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 11:16 AM

Do this. Call and inquire about the MRV upgrade, and see what they can do for you. Get the best deal out of the CSR and then politely say you will think about it, unless you are happy with what they offered.

Call back again and see what they can offer you this time. The CSR Roulette wheel can be very rewarding. One person may give you little while the next will give you the moon.

Once you get a deal you are happy with. Refer your parents and get even more off your bill. 10$ / Month for 10 months!

http://www.directv.c...rralProgram.jsp

Edit: Also ask about FREE HD For life if you haven't already. Even more off the bill.

TWC Technician (Huntersville, Cornelius, Davidson Area)

#12 OFFLINE   E91

E91

Godfather

• Registered
  • 341 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 11:19 AM

That's what I thought about doing, but I thought the "new customer" or "fist time customer" deal was based on physical address meaning if you ever had service at that address, you were SOL.

I had service slightly under two years ago, and they wouldn't even offer me some of the "new customer" deals.

#13 OFFLINE   davel

davel

Godfather

• Registered
  • 288 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 10:21 PM

My friend used the same name, address, and everything. He even had both accounts active for a day and got all of the new customer deals.

#14 OFFLINE   domingos35

domingos35

Icon

• Registered
  • 536 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 11:18 AM

My parents are looking to dump cable and I was going to set them up on DTV. When I went through the online sign-up, I was amazed at the deals they cut for new customers. Basically half of what I currently pay for the same package and add-ons. I am well past my two-year commitment and was wondering what my options were.

I currently have an HR-20, and SD Tivo and and two old Hughes SD receivers. I would like to upgrade everything to Whole-home compatible equipment as well as save a little on my monthly bill.

My parents costs, as new customers either way, are about the same on DTV and Dish. I however would save substantially by making the switch assuming DTV isn't willing to cut me a deal.

Personally I would prefer to stick with DTV, just because it would be convenient, but I have several friends with Dish who are perfectly happy.

Any suggestions on how to approach this with DTV?

tell them to take a hike and switch;)

#15 OFFLINE   Guardian

Guardian

AllStar

• Registered
  • 87 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 11:20 AM

+1

#16 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 11:24 AM

If you want more HD and superior PQ...stick with DirecTV.
DTV = Digital Television

#17 OFFLINE   greenrun99

greenrun99

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 11:33 AM

i thought its x amount of years before they would consider you new again? thats how every other company does it. personally, its a no brainer, if they won't deal, go to dish. companies wrongfully target new people forgetting that losing the existing ones is worse.

Its 2 years from your cancellation that you are considered a new customer again is what I was told when saying I was going to cancel.

#18 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 12:14 PM

That sounds about right. I remember that I got the second RCA at around $400 or $500.
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#19 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 12:34 PM

My friend used the same name, address, and everything. He even had both accounts active for a day and got all of the new customer deals.

He must have used a different social security number and phone number because that is what they use. Otherwise I find it hard to believe that he got the "new customer" deal. They don't look at address.

#20 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 12:37 PM

Its 2 years from your cancellation that you are considered a new customer again is what I was told when saying I was going to cancel.

No, it more like forever .... definitely not 2 years. Your contract is 2 years. I've seen people who called after 5 years and they didn't get new cust deals unless they had their wife, girlfriend etc (different SSN and phone number) sign up for them. They may have given them a few bucks off or a free movie channel for a few months, but not new customer pricing after only 2 years. They keep you on file virtually forever.

spam firewall