Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

I Own my r15 500, can I use it w/o DirectTv?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Reddog9

Reddog9

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 11:05 PM

I bought my R15 500 some time ago, so I own it outright. I made the switch to cable (for Internet reasons not programing). They argued and argued that it was their equipment and I had to return it or be charged. To return it would imply that I got it from them in the first place (I bought it off
EBay and have receipts to prove it). Anyway, they finally shut up about it when I sent them one of their old Phillips boxes instead in their prepaid return box. My question is this... "what can I do with it now that I own it with no DirecTv service?" Judging by the fuss they raised, I assumed it must be a pretty easy hack and they wanted to stop as many as possible. Is it little more than a paper weight now? Can I at least salvage the hard drive for computer applications or is it a proprietary use device that is not compatible! Can I use it as a VCR or DVR from an analog signal? Can I find any useful purpose at all for this thing? :confused:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 11:17 PM

Sounds more like stolen than owned...

It is worthless in the sense that since it was obviously a leased box, you won't be able to turn it back on for D* service. You also won't be able to use it for any other function, like OTA or "as a VCR." You can't hardly give these away anymore, even good ones that can still be activated.

The old hard drive inside can be used in a computer. It's pretty small, and it isn't even SATA, so even that is pretty much worthless.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased
Owned H25-700 and H24-700 off and packed for the move.

DIRECTV subscriber since Nov. 2009

#3 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 11 October 2010 - 11:17 PM

Without DirecTV service, the R15 is completely worthless. You can pull the hard drive and format it for use in a computer. I wouldn't bother with it if it has been in use in a DVR for an extended period of time as it may fail sooner rather than later.

#4 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,371 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 12 October 2010 - 12:14 AM

Even stuff you "bought" on eBay is usually leased. Most equipment "sold" since 2006 is leased, regardless of where you get it.

At any rate, it's a boat anchor without satellite service.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#5 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 12:24 AM

Even stuff you "bought" on eBay is usually leased. Most equipment "sold" since 2006 is leased, regardless of where you get it.

Yep. You really have to watch out, let me tell you! :lol:
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased

#6 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,657 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 12 October 2010 - 08:43 AM

Also, don't toss it or destroy it yet. It is possible that you will still be charged a non-return fee based on the fact you did not send back the specified unit with the indicated receiver ID. I would allow at least 2 or 3 months before getting rid of the R15.

#7 OFFLINE   Reddog9

Reddog9

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 10:26 PM

Sounds more like stolen than owned...
It is worthless in the sense that since it was obviously a leased box

Why are you all saying it is "stolen" or "obviously leased"?

I NEVER LEASED ANYTHING FROM DIRECTV. THEY DID NOT PROVIDE IT AND I HAVE A PURCHASE RECIEPT!
When I asked them to provide documentation of the status of this particular piece of equipment (by serial number) they could not. When asked if they had reported it as stolen the answer was no.
So I ask you, exactly what claim do they have to it? I'm not giving it to them just because they SAY it is theirs. PROVE IT! I obtained it from a reputable source and it was not DirecTv. I asked DirecTv if they were interested in buying it from me and they said "ummmm no". So they will take it if they can get it for free eh?

So if it is a boat anhcor, so be it. But it is MY boat anchor! :mad:

#8 OFFLINE   matt

matt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 10:45 PM

Yes, like like everyone else that "bought" one at Best Buy and has a "purchase" receipt.
Slimline 5 with SWM-16
Wireless DECA
HR34-700!
R22-200 Leased

#9 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,371 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 24 October 2010 - 12:16 AM

You asked if you can "find any useful purpose at all for this thing?" And the answer is "no". Regardless of whether you think you owned it or not, you never properly cleared that up with DirecTV. So even if you sell it, the new owner probably won't be able to activate it on their account. End of discussion.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#10 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 17,820 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 24 October 2010 - 02:08 AM

As carl6 points out, don't be so sure.

I see they go for just over $50 shipped, so I guess you're not out that much money (unless DIRECTV comes after you for non-return).

You should probably give the access card department a call and see if they can't clear up the owned versus lease issue.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#11 OFFLINE   Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,080 posts
  • LocationA Galaxy Far, Far Away.....

Posted 24 October 2010 - 02:31 AM

Why are you all saying it is "stolen" or "obviously leased"?:

We're saying it's leased; and if not returned, then yes stolen --> until they charge your card on file for it's non return that is. As stated this typically takes 2-4 months on average to show up as a charge on your bank cards statement. As with everything in life, it will show up at the most inopportune time possible almost garenteed.....

I NEVER LEASED ANYTHING FROM DIRECTV. THEY DID NOT PROVIDE IT AND I HAVE A PURCHASE RECIEPT!

No one is saying you don;'t have a receipt. Every retail store that sold DirecTV units since 2006 sold it discounted at an upfront lease price. Ebay, Best Buy, Walmart, SolidSignal, Amazon, Buy, or where ever.....

When you sign up for service or "add" the receiver to an existing account you commit to the terms of the service which clearly indicate the box is leased and MUST be returned if you disconnect or terminate service.

Well then, have fun going down with the ship captain :grin:

#12 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,339 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 24 October 2010 - 04:28 AM

I bought my R15 500 some time ago, so I own it outright. I made the switch to cable (for Internet reasons not programing). They argued and argued that it was their equipment and I had to return it or be charged. To return it would imply that I got it from them in the first place (I bought it off
EBay and have receipts to prove it). Anyway, they finally shut up about it when I sent them one of their old Phillips boxes instead in their prepaid return box. My question is this... "what can I do with it now that I own it with no DirecTv service?" Judging by the fuss they raised, I assumed it must be a pretty easy hack and they wanted to stop as many as possible. Is it little more than a paper weight now? Can I at least salvage the hard drive for computer applications or is it a proprietary use device that is not compatible! Can I use it as a VCR or DVR from an analog signal? Can I find any useful purpose at all for this thing? :confused:

You can try getting it appraised on "Antique Roadshow". :rolleyes:

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#13 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 07:06 AM

Do you people work for DirecTv or what?

No, we've just been around long enough to have seen this exact same thread dozens of times, only to be followed up a few weekes later by another thread by the same person complaining that DIRECTV charged their card for equipment they didn't return.

Like everyone else has said, it is likely (but not guaranteed) that the R15 is leased, not owned. If that is indeed the case, you will be charged for it eventually.

So by all means, tear it apart, throw it away, use it as the boat anchor it is, just don't come back here compaining that you got charged for it.

#14 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,077 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 24 October 2010 - 10:59 AM

I obtained it from a reputable source and it was not DirecTv.

Not sure when E-bay was awarded the "reputable source" designation.

spam firewall