Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

622 getting flaky

terminate

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   lpmiller

lpmiller

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 06:14 PM

My 622 is about 4-5 years old now, and is starting to get a little weird.

The big one is that if you are watching any show that is being recorded at the time, it will randomly jump to live tv. This is also true if I just rewind live TV. I'll watch for a little bit - then boom, live tv.

I am also noticing odd sound drop outs of about a second or 2 in recordings, and occasional artifacting in the picture of recordings. Just starting doing this over the last month or so. I think it also cut out on my wife during the twins game last week.

So my thought is, the thing is dying out. It's been a good unit, but so it goes.

So I'm thinking, upgrade to a 722 or a 922. But I can't make up my mind. It doesn't help that when I called dish, they told me if I want to just replace my receiver, I have a crap shoot of 622/722/722k, depending on what the installer has, and of course every knows about the 200 buck premium on the 922. Which I don't have a problem with, but can't decide if it's worth it to me. I mean, Dish kind of makes it a pain in the ass, I'd just like to call and say "send me a 722K" not hope my installer just happens to have one.

I dunno, maybe I should call tech support and go that way. But I figure if I need a box anyway, I want a bigger drive, I don't want another 622.

Advice?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BillM

BillM

Mentor

• Registered
  • 52 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 07:05 PM

I'm in the same basic position (622 that has become flaky since L630 was spooled); my first call to Dish Technical Support yielded a person who told me I'd get a 722. Learning later that this might not include off-air capability, I called back, only to be told that no, I would be getting a replacement 622.

If the problem is with the software, I don't really want another box with the same problem, on the other hand, if the new box doesn't have the same functionality as the old one, well, I don't what that either.

Seems like they have a lot of nerve to ask for an upgrade fee to replace an older receiver; I might understand this if the receiver had some new functionality like the 922, but other than a larger hard drive, seems like the 722 is basically the same thing, and it makes life easier for them if I upgrade, versus Dish testing their new releases on older models.

Sigh.

#3 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 07:38 AM

If one of my 622s dies I'll be happy with another 622. I have some EHDs so storage is no problem.

As for a 922 here's my experience. I got the first one in May of this year. Replaced it in July because of freezing up and missing recordings. Replaced that one last week because of missing recordings also. Several folks have posted that they wind up with missing recordings that the 922 will report as completed on the Daily Schedule history. This one hasn't done that yet. You still can't write to an EHD. So far it hasn't gotten the software update that will allow integration of the Logitech Revue Google TV box. I'm still waiting for the Dish Android app to allow me to watch the 922 on my HTC EVO.

Visit the 922 forums and then decide if it's worth the upgrade fee to you. I read them all and then upgraded anyway. Don't regret it but I'll be happy when everything works as planned.
Just another old geezer killin' time till time kills me.

#4 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• Registered
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 02:03 AM

... I'd get a 722. Learning later that this might not include off-air capability,

The 722 has a built-in OTA tuner, just like the 622. It's the 722k that needs an optional module to get OTA.
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: terminate

Protected By... spam firewall...And...