Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

722K - optical v HDMI?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   minbari

minbari

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 08:11 PM

All

I just upgraded to HD(finally:D ) with a 722K. I had a 6 yr old DVR (SD) and used an optical for the audio.

The 722K is connected via HDMI to my Onkyo 708. When reading through the manual for the 722K it says you can't get 5.1 unless you use the optical - is this true? Won't the HDMI transmit all audio signals? It seems that the 708 is decoding Dolby D and such.

Thoughts?
Minbari

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 06:41 AM

The manual is incorrect and unclear, mostly because it was based on the text of the manuals of older receivers. What they're *trying* to say is that you can't get DD5.1 (or anything better than stereo) using the white & red RCA cables that 99+% of people use.

You can get DD from either optical or HDMI.

#3 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 07:41 AM

I changed my 622 and my 922 to optical for audio. That was to eliminate audio drop outs while using HDMI.
Just another old geezer killin' time till time kills me.

#4 OFFLINE   BarryG

BarryG

Legend

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 05:29 AM

I changed my 622 and my 922 to optical for audio. That was to eliminate audio drop outs while using HDMI.

I'm also using optical audio with my Pioneer SC-07 because it also had the hdmi audio dropout problem with the 722K. Only some receivers seem to have the hdmi audio dropout problem but mine had it in spades. No problems with any other hdmi audio sources, just Dish.

spam firewall