Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Receiver and dish tailgating questions

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   the tacoman

the tacoman

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 09:06 PM

Hi, newbie here and first off just wanted to say I have been reading through posts for a few hours on here and another forum and it has helped a lot, but there are a few questions I had and a couple things I just wanted to confirm.

I do not have satellite service and can't at my house due to not having a clear shot at the south sky. We do a little bit of tailgaiting (about 4 times a year), which is not worth in my mind getting the service just for that. My parents do have Dish network and I was thinking about getting a satellite and pulling one of their receivers (612) out of their house for the weekend. I just wanted to make sure this would work and is there a specific satellite I need to get? Also could I run two tvs off of this receiver? If so what all do i need to get to do that? Sorry if some of this is very easily answered. I think I could figure a lot of it out if I could look at my parents set up, but I am just going to be able to stop by their house later this week to pick up the receiver and hope to have everything in place I need. Thanks again for any help.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 09:22 PM

That would violate the terms of the agreement.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#3 OFFLINE   the tacoman

the tacoman

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 09:27 PM

That would violate the terms of the agreement.

Didn't realize that, what all do I need to do so that it doesn't? How do all of these people get to use them with their rvs?

#4 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 09:54 PM

A separate subscription and you would need to buy the equipment. Dish does not offer leased receivers for use a couple of time per year as you described.

#5 OFFLINE   the tacoman

the tacoman

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 10:08 PM

A separate subscription and you would need to buy the equipment. Dish does not offer leased receivers for use a couple of time per year as you described.

so what is violating the agreement, us using it outside of the home, or me using their receiver? Because my dad will be there at the tailgate. I was just going to set it up before he got there. He is just coming down game day for it. I am not trying to get around any rules, and want to make sure we do this right.

#6 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,087 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 10:16 PM

Just email DISH and ask them if its OK. If the account holder is there, I would think they would say its OK. Its not like they are going to send the DISH police to handcuff you to your receiver.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#7 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 10:46 PM

Apparently, your parents have more than one receiver at the home. Therefore, using one of them in a remote location would violate the agreement. It would be possible to receive satellite signals at the home and the remote location simultaneously and there's the rub.
<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#8 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,214 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 11:50 PM

On the last Charlie Chat Charlie suggested taking DISH equipment tailgating. He has also mentioned it on a show years ago. Perhaps he doesn't know the rules? :)

The rules prohibit sharing accounts between two locations or using an account at a location other than the one on file with DISH network (ie: lying about equipment location). While a weekend tailgate is a second location and not one on file with the CEO of the company suggesting it I wouldn't worry about it.

I'm glad to see that the account owner will be present. "Can I use my dad's account" is one of those red flags. Spending time with family while you can is a good thing too!

There are deeper legal issues when a receiver isn't at the specified service address including circumventing blackout rules. Those are rules that even the CEO can't waive.

BTW: You can connect the 612 to multiple TVs at the site but they will all get the same picture.

#9 OFFLINE   auburn2

auburn2

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 01:40 PM

I would not worry about the service agreement, I have taken my 722 camping numerous times. There can be legal issues with blackouts or even non-local networks depending on how far you are going, but then it is illegal how most tailgaters park their cars at tailgates, it is illegal to be drinking beer out in the open .....

Anyway in my experience the most difficult thing with this proposal is aligning the satellites. If this is something you plan to do repeatedly I suggest you spring for one of the mobile antennas that you just hook the receiver up to and it automatically finds the satellites. They are about $800 but will save you time.

#10 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 04:24 PM

Hi, newbie here and first off just wanted to say I have been reading through posts for a few hours on here and another forum and it has helped a lot, but there are a few questions I had and a couple things I just wanted to confirm.

I do not have satellite service and can't at my house due to not having a clear shot at the south sky. We do a little bit of tailgaiting (about 4 times a year), which is not worth in my mind getting the service just for that. My parents do have Dish network and I was thinking about getting a satellite and pulling one of their receivers (612) out of their house for the weekend. I just wanted to make sure this would work and is there a specific satellite I need to get? Also could I run two tvs off of this receiver? If so what all do i need to get to do that? Sorry if some of this is very easily answered. I think I could figure a lot of it out if I could look at my parents set up, but I am just going to be able to stop by their house later this week to pick up the receiver and hope to have everything in place I need. Thanks again for any help.

Besides the terms of service problems you may have some equipment problems. The VIP 612 is a HD DVR that will output only 1 channel at a time. If you want to feed 2 TVs they will both watch the same channel at the same time. Also DISH has either Eastern Arc or Western Arc service. Depending on where you are tailgating you will need a 1000.2 Western Arc for 3 satellite locations or a 1000.4 Eastern Arc for 3 satellites located about 90 degrees differently.

#11 OFFLINE   jsk

jsk

Icon

• Registered
  • 716 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 12:22 PM

What if you just changed your service location to the address of the Stadium for the weekend and change it back when the dish returns to it's home location? Would that violate any agreements?

Heck, get a DishMover and the tech can set it up for you :D

Then, you wouldn't be violating any rules.
Dish Player DVR 722K with OTA module connected to the Eastern Arc

#12 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,214 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 02:42 PM

What if you just changed your service location to the address of the Stadium for the weekend and change it back when the dish returns to it's home location? Would that violate any agreements?

It would if the wife stayed home and watched another receiver on the account ... or if one left a receiver at home to record television missed while away for the game.

#13 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,087 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 02:45 PM

Isnt the whole point in paying extra every month for additional receivers to cover the fact that different channels will be watched simultaneously on each one? TOS notwithstanding, I see no difference if the wife watches a show in the Kitchen while you watch the game in the living room, or move your living room to a parking lot.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#14 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,214 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 02:49 PM

Isnt the whole point in paying extra every month for additional receivers to cover the fact that different channels will be watched simultaneously on each one? TOS notwithstanding, I see no difference if the wife watches a show in the Kitchen while you watch the game in the living room, or move your living room to a parking lot.

At the same service address it is fine. At different service addresses not so fine. I was addressing the idea of "changing your address" for the weekend ... which would be more trouble than it is worth and could still leave you in a position of breaking a rule.

spam firewall