Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Newbie questions on planned 722 setup

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Bigsmith

Bigsmith

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 01:45 PM

Hi, I'm new to satellite TV and planning to jump from Comcr*p to Dish Network in the next month or so.

My planned setup is a single ViP722 located near the family room HDTV and also feeding an upstairs bedroom SD set using Dual mode. I currently have a Slingbox and want to move it to the Dish setup. I need to feed the Slingbox from TV2, as this is the set that won't be in use when I want to Sling. A couple of questions about this plan:

1) The bedroom TV is about 60-70 feet point to point from where the 722 will be, but it's one floor and 3-4 walls away. (Frame house.) Will the included RF remote work adequately for this situation?

2) I've read about the IR converter that provides an IR signal for Slingbox control of TV2. But it's not clear to me if it is possible to hook this up so that the RF remote can still function at the same time. I'll need the RF control for the upstairs TV, and don't want to have to jiggle cables every time I might use the Slingbox.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Edited by Bigsmith, 13 October 2010 - 01:51 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Bigsmith

Bigsmith

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 03:43 PM

Anyone? :confused:

#3 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 04:45 PM

1) The bedroom TV is about 60-70 feet point to point from where the 722 will be, but it's one floor and 3-4 walls away. (Frame house.) Will the included RF remote work adequately for this situation? ...

There is a Dish approved approach that puts the receiving RF antenna in the same room as remote using a simple splitter to send thyat RF control signal along the coax that is carrying the TV2 signal. At the receiver end another simple splitter is used to split out that control signal to a piece of coax cable that is in turn connected to the back of the receiver at the RF control coax jack.

I don't even understand the question in your 2), so I can offer no answer.

#4 OFFLINE   CABill

CABill

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 09:40 PM

The included RF remote would be able to work one floor and 4 wall away in most environments. There are many ways to increase the distance (or number of walls) of proper remote operation.

I don't Sling, so grains of salt here! You would need an IR to UHF converter to have the IR from the Slingbox sent to the UHF TV2. I've no idea if you were going to locate the Slingbox upstairs, or just share TV2 control with the UHF remote and the Sling. If the Slingbox will also be 70' from the receiver, it might be more problematic than the DISH remote that far away. If that is the case, moving the UHF antenna to the bedroom as SaltiDawg mentioned might be needed.

I'd suggest looking for someone using TV2 output to their Slingbox for real experience.

#5 OFFLINE   Bigsmith

Bigsmith

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 09:57 AM

Thanks for the replies. I think question #1 is settled -- the RF remote will likely work from downstairs to upstairs, and if it doesn't the RF signal can be sent over the TV2 coaxial cable to an antenna located near the upstairs set. I assume that "Dish-approved" means that the installer will provide the required splitters and hookup if the second approach proves necessary.

Apparently Question #2 wasn't well-stated. My plan was to locate the Slingbox downstairs near TV1 and the 722, since I presently have a wired Ethernet connection there but no such connection upstairs near TV2. The issue is that IR control (via the RF to IR converter) is needed to enable the Slingbox to control the TV2 output, but RF control is needed to watch the upstairs TV. Only one of these activities (using Slingbox or watching TV upstairs) would be happening at any given time, but I don't want to have to mess with wiring to move between the two. Hence the question: Can both IR and RF control be simultaneously active for the TV2 output of the 722? The same issue would exist regardless of where the Slingbox was located.

Edited by Bigsmith, 15 October 2010 - 10:25 AM.
edit

#6 OFFLINE   CABill

CABill

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 12:28 PM

Hence the question: Can both IR and RF control be simultaneously active for the TV2 output of the 722? The same issue would exist regardless of where the Slingbox was located.

Answer: Kinda - Sorta.

TV2 output will ONLY be controlled by UHF Pro signals. TV1 can be controlled by both IR and UHF Pro (both using the same remote address of course).

DISH has odd names for the devices that convert a UHF Pro signal to IR and the newer device that converts an IR signal to UHF Pro required to control TV2. With that device used, the IR signals from Sling end up being converted so that the receiver just sees another TV2 UHF Pro remote. As long as the actual DISH UHF Pro remote is configured to be the same remote address as what the IR to UHF Pro is doing (and same A/B UHF range), you'd get what you seek - both devices able to control TV2. TRULY simultaneous button pressing doesn't work from two remotes, but interchangable operation works fine.

By far the easiest way to extend the range of the UHF Pro remote itself is to switch from A range to B range. Dunno if that is possible with the IR converted to UHF Pro device. Actually moving the UHF remote antenna to the bedroom via coax and having the Sling in the other room would make a difference - it would now have to go through whatever cause the issue requiring the antenna to be moved. The antenna can be locacted midway. But that constitutes "messing with the wire" to some degree.

No time to proof read.

#7 OFFLINE   Bigsmith

Bigsmith

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 07:43 AM

Answer: Kinda - Sorta.

TV2 output will ONLY be controlled by UHF Pro signals. TV1 can be controlled by both IR and UHF Pro (both using the same remote address of course).

DISH has odd names for the devices that convert a UHF Pro signal to IR and the newer device that converts an IR signal to UHF Pro required to control TV2. With that device used, the IR signals from Sling end up being converted so that the receiver just sees another TV2 UHF Pro remote.

"Aha" moment....For reasons unknown I was thinking that Slingbox control of TV2 requires the 722 to send signals to the Slingbox, i.e. conversion of UHF to IR, when of course the exact opposite needs to happen. Thanks for de-confusing me. I'll never be watching TV2 and Slinging simultaneously, so this should work fine.

spam firewall