Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV™'s Fox agreements end at the end of November? (answer is "no")

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
58 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   MikeR7

MikeR7

Icon

• Registered
  • 953 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 08:27 PM

My brother is a DirecTV™ subscriber but hasn't made the jump to HD yet. While at the Minnesota State Fair this summer, he signed up for DISH and their HD upgrade. He put off the installation until after a vacation to New England at the end of September. When he got back he heard about DISH losing the Fox RSN, and he does not want to lose Fox Sports North, so he put off the installation again until this is settled. In talking to the DISH scheduler he was told that DirecTV™'s Fox agreements run out at the end of November and that they will have the same problem negotiating with Fox. Does anyone here know if what the DISH guy told my brother is true?

I told him that he should call DirecTV™ about an upgrade and mention that he had signed up with DISH but hasn't installed yet and could they give him a great deal, including whole home. I hope they do.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   xzi

xzi

Icon

• Registered
  • 527 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 08:48 PM

Even if it is true, I put a bit more faith in DIRECTV to get the job done before it's an issue anyway.

#3 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 08:52 PM

Next year maybe or the year after. I'm sure it isn't this year. The COO of Fox is the former CEO of DirecTV. I like our chances.

Edited by Hoosier205, 14 October 2010 - 08:10 AM.

DTV = Digital Television

#4 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,895 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 13 October 2010 - 08:56 PM

Dish does seem to have more of these tiffs with carriers. DirecTV has a very strong sports customer base, not one they want to upset, at least the mainstream (we did lose Versus for quite a while until NHL season.)

#5 OFFLINE   kiknwing

kiknwing

Godfather

• Registered
  • 482 posts
  • LocationOgden, UT

Posted 13 October 2010 - 09:28 PM

Next year I believe...not sure what month. The COO of Fox is the former CEO of DirecTV. I like our chances.

With that and that directv group is a division of liberty media which owns a few fsn's. Odds are very good that there won't be a problem.

#6 OFFLINE   gphvid

gphvid

Godfather

• Registered
  • 490 posts
  • LocationThousand Oaks, Ca

Posted 14 October 2010 - 03:55 AM

My brother is a DirecTV™ subscriber but hasn't made the jump to HD yet. While at the Minnesota State Fair this summer, he signed up for DISH and their HD upgrade. He put off the installation until after a vacation to New England at the end of September. When he got back he heard about DISH losing the Fox RSN, and he does not want to lose Fox Sports North, so he put off the installation again until this is settled. In talking to the DISH scheduler he was told that DirecTV™'s Fox agreements run out at the end of November and that they will have the same problem negotiating with Fox. Does anyone here know if what the DISH guy told my brother is true?

I told him that he should call DirecTV™ about an upgrade and mention that he had signed up with DISH but hasn't installed yet and could they give him a great deal, including whole home. I hope they do.

Sounds more like the scheduler is trying to keep a DISH subscriber from bolting...

#7 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,370 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 04:44 AM

The spat with Comcast over Versus is the ONLY dispute I can ever remember that caused a channel loss (Versus has been back since May-ish)

#8 OFFLINE   TDK1044

TDK1044

Godfather

• Registered
  • 536 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 06:25 AM

Only Senior Team members at DirecTV would know when the current carriage licenses expire. The DISH guy was just trying to help stem what must feel like an exodus at DISH right now.

I don't see DirecTV risking losing the number of customers that DISH already has because of their failure to negotiate a new contract with FOX.

#9 OFFLINE   Joe Diver

Joe Diver

AllStar

• Registered
  • 91 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 07:51 AM

Sounds more like the scheduler is trying to keep a DISH subscriber from bolting...

I agree. Dish is scrambling to keep customers.
DirecTV Premier
NFL Sunday Ticket, NHL Center Ice
HR24-100 --> Mits WD52628 (HDMI) and Pioneer VSX1015TX (Toslink)
Bose 601 Series 3 Mains, VS100 Center, 301 Series 3 Surrounds.
Apple TV2, Xbox360, PS3

#10 OFFLINE   ATARI

ATARI

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 08:01 AM

+1

#11 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 08:11 AM

The spat with Comcast over Versus is the ONLY dispute I can ever remember that caused a channel loss (Versus has been back since May-ish)

This isn't really a channel loss, but back in late 2001 Directv and the WWF got into a contract dispute carriage of their ppv's and they were not aired on there for a few months I don't think.

#12 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 08:21 AM

This isn't really a channel loss, but back in late 2001 Directv and the WWF got into a contract dispute carriage of their ppv's and they were not aired on there for a few months I don't think.

Haha...the sounds more like a win for humanity. :D Too bad it ended.
DTV = Digital Television

#13 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,778 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 14 October 2010 - 08:25 AM

With that and that directv group is a division of liberty media which owns a few fsn's. Odds are very good that there won't be a problem.

IIRC they aren't anymore, and when they split from Liberty they also got Game Show Network and the FSN RSN's that Liberty had.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#14 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 08:48 AM

Haha...the sounds more like a win for humanity. :D Too bad it ended.

I used to feel differently, but now having not watched, read about, or cared about anything they do since February I totally agree. I know it's predetermined, but 20 minutes of in ring action on a 2 hour show doesn't sound like "wrestling" to me.

#15 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,418 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 14 October 2010 - 08:55 AM

Nice of you to make sure we all know that "DirecTV" is a trademarked name. However, it's actually a registered trademark, so it takes a circle-R, not just a "TM." Perhaps you should leave all that business to the lawyers.

There was a full-page ad in the L.A. Times today reiterating that some Fox channels had already been removed from Dish, and that the local Fox affiliate was in danger of being dropped from Dish November 1st. It suggested switching to another provider, with the DirecTV logo right in the middle of the logos of all the other local providers. I think that's a pretty good sign that Fox is happy with DirecTV at present.
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

#16 OFFLINE   Ira Lacher

Ira Lacher

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 09:45 AM

Can only hope. That's why I'm happy I'm out of contract and I'm avoiding any upgrades, etc., that would bind me to another two-year agreement. If this happens to DirecTV, I'll bolt.
-- Ira

================================================
"There are no solutions to complex problems" -- Stan Littman, longtime social studies teacher at The Bronx High School of Science

#17 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,902 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 14 October 2010 - 09:51 AM

IIRC they aren't anymore, and when they split from Liberty they also got Game Show Network and the FSN RSN's that Liberty had.

Yup .. DIRECTV is an independent company now. Sure, Liberty (and Malone) still own some stock, but last I checked, his voting power stopped @ 24%.

Still, I think DIRECTV & Fox have a much better relationship than DISH & Fox. Now, that being said .. a DISH CSR as the source of DIRECTV's contract situation .. well, let's just say, I'm not sure that's the best source. Sounds more like a tools to keep the customer than actual news.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#18 OFFLINE   TDK1044

TDK1044

Godfather

• Registered
  • 536 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 10:37 AM

The only people who really lose in these situations are the customers who either have to wait for some time in order for the two sides to have a meeting of the minds, or they have to pay expensive early termination fees to change to a new provider.

Fox will end up getting its money from DISH, and DISH will compensate by getting more money from its customers.

Here's a thought, Charlie..."Cut to the chase and let's watch TV".

#19 OFFLINE   MikeR7

MikeR7

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 953 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 11:54 AM

Nice of you to make sure we all know that "DirecTV" is a trademarked name. However, it's actually a registered trademark, so it takes a circle-R, not just a "TM." Perhaps you should leave all that business to the lawyers.

I just copied it from a heading on another forum for this site, and I like the way it looks. :lol:

#20 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 14 October 2010 - 04:42 PM

FOX negotiations? No problem. How much do you want? No problem. March is coming soon when we zonk all of our subs with big package rate increases. We'll just add some to it to cover your new rate. Maybe we'll up the DVR fee another buck next time too to make up for those annoying subs who are getting HD for free. :mad:

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

spam firewall