Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV™'s Fox agreements end at the end of November? (answer is "no")

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
58 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Ira Lacher

Ira Lacher

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 08:31 AM

Whether the rumors are true or not, one of two things are certain to happen:

• DirecTV, like DISH and Cablevision, will lose channels for a considerable length of time in a carriage dispute, after which subscribers will be paying higher prices for the same programming, or
  • DirecTV will not lose channels for a considerable length of time because a carriage agreement has been worked out, after which subscribers will be paying higher prices for the same programming.

-- Ira

================================================
"There are no solutions to complex problems" -- Stan Littman, longtime social studies teacher at The Bronx High School of Science

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 08:40 AM

Whether the rumors are true or not, one of two things are certain to happen:

• DirecTV, like DISH and Cablevision, will lose channels for a considerable length of time in a carriage dispute, after which subscribers will be paying higher prices for the same programming, or
  • DirecTV will not lose channels for a considerable length of time because a carriage agreement has been worked out, after which subscribers will be paying higher prices for the same programming.

Or a carriage agreement has been worked out and we will not be paying higher prices or they did not go up very much, because:

• Direct has a better working relationship with Fox
  • Direct has more viewers and can get a better deal
  • Direct has more people watching RSNs because of the sports packs so Fox was able to give them a better deal
  • A combination of some of the above or all of the above

#43 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,267 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 16 October 2010 - 08:48 AM

Or a carriage agreement has been worked out and we will not be paying higher prices or they did not go up very much, because:

• Direct has a better working relationship with Fox
  • Direct has more viewers and can get a better deal
  • Direct has more people watching RSNs because of the sports packs so Fox was able to give them a better deal
  • A combination of some of the above or all of the above

Combination, plus throw in:

- DirecTV has full time HD RSNs, which means the value is better for the price
- DirecTV's placing of channels and RSNs is more in line with what Fox wants.

Seems a large part of the Fox dispute with Dish is package levels.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#44 OFFLINE   la24philly

la24philly

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 08:59 AM

if im a betting man, i bet that directv and fox will reach n agreement before dish and cablevision does

#45 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,927 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 16 October 2010 - 09:01 AM

Let me be clearer. It's a non issue for a long time. The thread of the title is wrong.

if im a betting man, i bet that directv and fox will reach n agreement before dish and cablevision does

Well since SatRacer said DirecTV and Fox don't have to renew their agreement for a long time looks like you'd win.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#46 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,912 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 16 October 2010 - 09:17 AM

Yes, Virginia, there is nothing to see here ..
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#47 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,216 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 16 October 2010 - 09:28 AM

Agreed, do you have any idea how stubborn Cablevision can be? Biggest market in the country and they quibble about such little things. That's the Dolans for you. I'll never forgive them for dropping the Yes Network in '02.

Rich

#48 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 09:38 AM

It has already been done. I have heard from another source as well

#49 OFFLINE   d0ug

d0ug

Legend

• Registered
  • 231 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 02:20 PM

There was a full-page ad in the L.A. Times today reiterating that some Fox channels had already been removed from Dish, and that the local Fox affiliate was in danger of being dropped from Dish November 1st.

I've never understood the whole threat of dropping local affiliates. I thought cable and sat companies were mandated by the FCC to carry the locals and there was no money exchange taking place to carry the locals?

#50 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 02:58 PM

I've never understood the whole threat of dropping local affiliates. I thought cable and sat companies were mandated by the FCC to carry the locals and there was no money exchange taking place to carry the locals?

Not really a threat, since it's actually happened.

#51 OFFLINE   jefbal99

jefbal99

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,838 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 02:58 PM

I believe they have to have the capability to carry the local and if the local elects for "must carry" status, then no money changes hands. If the MSO wants to provide a channel and the channel wants a carriage fee, then a contract must be agreed to.
Receiving Equipment: AU9 Slimline w/Zinwell WB68 & SWM 8 | Winegard MS-2000 w/PS-1503 Power Injector
Living Room: HR22-100 w/AM-21 | Samsung HL-S4266W (HDMI) | Ethernet MRV | Pioneer HTS-GS1 5.1 | Yamaha DV-S6160 (Component/Digital Coaxial)
Bedroom: H21-200 w/AM-21 | Westinghouse LVM-42w2 (HDMI) | Ethernet MRV
Home Theatre: HR20-100 | Sanyo PLV-Z60 (Component/Optical) | Flexio 16:9 100" Screen | Ethernet MRV |Yamaha YHT-690 | XBox 360 (Component) | Harmony 880

#52 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,615 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 02:59 PM

Much to do about nothing.

Unlike 2 others...DirecTV will be dodging this viewing nightmare bullet.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#53 OFFLINE   calgary2800

calgary2800

Godfather

• Registered
  • 300 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 03:35 PM

I'm expecting a 3 dollar per month increase soon. Its fine with me, I left Dish knowing fair well I'll be paying more.

#54 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,927 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 19 October 2010 - 04:01 PM

I'm expecting a 3 dollar per month increase soon. Its fine with me, I left Dish knowing fair well I'll be paying more.

And you're basing that on what? I don't recall DirecTV doing a 'mid year' increase, they've been in the February/March time frame as far back as I can remember.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#55 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,912 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 19 October 2010 - 04:20 PM

"Must Carry" actually had a deadline (might be an annual deadline) in which that if any station is carried in a market, then any other station in the same market can claim "must carry" status and the satellite provider must carry that station as well. There are some other basic rules in place such that it must be an actual station, etc. etc.

However, 'must carry' does not imply 'must pay' .. A station that falls under must carry generally isn't going to also be asking for the sat provider to pay and I think the station simply can't have it both ways. Either it's must carry and there are no carriage fees or it's negotiated (not must carry) and there may be carriage fees. Often a local station is gonna say "thanks for carrying our signal" and be done with it, but other stations feel that their content is worth getting a kickback from the sat provider(a legal kickback, in this case).

So in other words, it doesn't work both ways. A sat provider can't claim must-carry against a content provider, but a content-provider can claim must-carry against the sat provider. If the content provider refuses to allow their content to be redistributed by the sat provider, then the sat provider would be in violation of Copyright laws if they didn't pull the signal.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#56 OFFLINE   DodgerKing

DodgerKing

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 05:34 PM

The current agreement does not end until well after 2010

#57 OFFLINE   ATARI

ATARI

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 06:36 AM

Since this thread's question has been asked and answered (now in the title itself, no less), I think we can close it.

#58 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,615 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 07:56 AM

Since this thread's question has been asked and answered (now in the title itself, no less), I think we can close it.

One would think so....otherwise some might interpret this as rubbing the Dish problems in their followers' faces.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#59 OFFLINE   MikeR7

MikeR7

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 953 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 11:18 AM

I agree:lol:

spam firewall