Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Local Reception Problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jimstick

jimstick

AllStar

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 09:34 AM

Here is my question:
I receive the "big 4" networks OTA. 3 of them are from the same direction and the other is off by about 10 degrees. I am in the "deep fringe" area of town. All of the stations are UHF. I have two UHF antennas in the attic, connected together, and amplified. The coax runs about 75' to my TV room, is split through another amp and connected to my TV and a Directv HR20-700. One antenna receives the three (ABC, NBC, FOX), and the otherreceives CBS.

The problem is, when I am watching prime time HD programming on CBS, I experience a lot of "pixelating" of the picture, accompanied by audio dropouts, which occurs for only a second or two at a time, but happens frequently (up to 25-30 times an hour). Some days are better, some are worse. Sometimes it doesn't happen hardly at all. This is the only channel this happens on. It NEVER happens during SD broadcast, like during the local news. It is a weaker signal than the other stations, but I get a signal of 65-70% on my Panasonic 42" plasma. The others are in the 85-100% range. It doesn't seem to happen in the daytime, but there is very limited HD programming during the day in our area, so it's hard to say for sure, because it doesn't happen during SD. The signal meter doesn't change when it happens, but it may not be fast enough to pick it up. Sometimes it goes with electrical spikes, like if the buzzer on the clothes dryer goes off, but it happens more often than that, when there are no obvious electrical spikes.

The problem occurs whether I am using the TV's tuner, or the HR20, but it seems worse when using the HR20.

Could it be beacause I am using two antennas?
Would a jointenna fix this?
Is it my local station?
It seems to me if it were an antenna problem it would happen on all the channels, Yes?
If it were the local channel, I would think others would be complaining, but I have checked the local forums, and have not seen any other complaints of this.This has been happening ever since the transition to digital. At one point shortly after the transition it was unwatchable, and they determined there was a faulty part at the transmitter, which they replaced.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Jim

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   bleggett29

bleggett29

Legend

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 11:16 AM

The signal for the CBS station is too low. Unlike analog tv where if the signal is low you get a snowy picture, digital tv you will get a clear picture or pixelation/nothing. There is some error correction in digital tv where it may be able to recover lost packets which will work better in lower bandwidth programming(SD) than higher bandwidth programming(HD).
When connecting together antennas in the same band and pointing in different directions you are actually reducing the gain on both antennas by a few dB. With only 10 degrees of seperation, remove one of the antennas from your setup and point that one to the CBS station. Hopefully you still get the other stations with a good signal. If not, you may want to use a seperate line for both antennas and use an A/B switch at the TV/HR20 to switch between the antenna to be used.
HR21-700 -> Onkyo TX-SR607 -> Samsung LN40B530 40" HDTV -- HDMI -- Living Room
HR22-100 -> cheap 22" HDTV -- HDMI -- Kids Room
H21-100 -> Samsung 26" HDTV -- Component -- Master Bed Room

Slimline-5 -> SWM-8

Unsupported MRV (100M ethernet LAN)

#3 OFFLINE   Tower Guy

Tower Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 450 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 10:29 AM

All of the stations are UHF. I have two UHF antennas in the attic, connected together, and amplified.

This is the generic TVfool report for your city.
http://www.tvfool.co...=a3626ca6868277

Your specific location would be helpful in figuring out the best solution.

Note that the FOX station is VHF and in a slightly different direction than the UHF stations.

To start with you could try a Y5-7-13 or Y10-7-13 aimed at FOX and use a UVSJ to couple it to one of the UHF antennas, which would be aimed more toward the middle of the UHF group of stations.

A more specific TVfool report might offer other options.

#4 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 02:46 PM

First thing is get that antenna OUT of your attic.

You have cut your signal at least in half, just by putting the antenna in the attic.

Your signals are not that low and should be easily receivable, at least from the generic TVFool report.

Please post your exact location Report and we can be more specific.

Having 2 UHF antennas connected together and NOT in the same direction often makes things worse.

Get a good UHF antenna (since you did not tell us what antennas you have we cannot evaliate it), put it OUTSIDE and you probably will be OK.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

spam firewall