Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

cinema plus 1000 channels

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   robl45

robl45

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 01:06 PM

can someone confirm if the cinemaplus 1000 channels, I believe they are sony and mgm are free for everyone? or do you have to pay for those channels to watch those movies? and are they in 5.1? and for the other movies on demand like encore and such, are they in 5.1?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,621 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 01:37 PM

I just pulled a show off the Sony VOD and it was free. :hurah:
MGM is part of the HD extra pack so you need to subscribe like many channels.
Not everything is DD5.1, even on the premium movies channels, so it can be HD/widescreen but not DD5.1.
The Sony show was HD, but not DD5.1
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   robl45

robl45

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 02:04 PM

isnt' sony supposed to be part of the extra pack as well?

#4 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 02:14 PM

Sony Movie Channel looks like it will be in the HD Extra Pack when added. The Sony VOD options appear to be separate from the channel "Sony Movie Channel"...not the same thing.
DTV = Digital Television

#5 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,621 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 02:23 PM

I checked the website for the extra pack and it didn't list Sony. This is why I tried the VOD, which to my surprise played.
A.K.A VOS

#6 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,256 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 14 October 2010 - 02:24 PM

Sony Movie Channel looks like it will be in the HD Extra Pack when added. The Sony VOD options appear to be separate from the channel "Sony Movie Channel"...not the same thing.

That may or may not change once SMC is live on directv.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#7 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 02:25 PM

I'm pretty sure that the Sony VOD has been around for a long time now and that it's an entirely separate issue from SMC. I'm just going by memory though. I agree, that Sony VOD option may be rebranded to match up with SMC. We'll see I suppose.
DTV = Digital Television

#8 OFFLINE   robl45

robl45

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 07:11 AM

just to be clear, the one you watched wasn't 5.1, but some are? I'm going to test Uverse this weekend and see if any are 5.1. thats huge consideration to me.

Not everything is DD5.1, even on the premium movies channels, so it can be HD/widescreen but not DD5.1.

#9 OFFLINE   robl45

robl45

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 11:55 PM

so I tested uverse on demand and only the showtime movies are 5.1, of which there are 12. encore has like 12 as well, none 5.1 and starz has like 50, none 5.1. so i'm stuck trying to record off the normal channels which are all 5.1

can anyone confirm if this is the same on directv, particularly sony, mgm, tmc and encore? I know all won't be 5.1, but is at least one? I tried 2012 which is about as new as it gets on uverse and its 2.0. for me with a baby, and not being able to go out, movies are my life, pathetic I know.

#10 OFFLINE   sdirv

sdirv

Icon

• Registered
  • 524 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 08:34 AM

I just went through my favorites setup and found several VOD channels not selected <???>, so selected them. But didn't see a Sony Channel or an MGM Channel......I've got the Premier Package and subscribe to the HD Extra Pack......

Didn't see them when I accessed VOD through the menu on demand option either.....will have to look again, but??

#11 OFFLINE   sdirv

sdirv

Icon

• Registered
  • 524 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 08:37 AM

I checked the website for the extra pack and it didn't list Sony. This is why I tried the VOD, which to my surprise played.

D* sent out e-mail this week that showed Sony being in the extra pack, if you hit the link you were taken to D*'s website to the Extra pack page and Sony wasn't there (yet).......

I checked yesterday but couldn't find a Sony or MGM VOD channel....<??>

#12 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,621 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 08:53 AM

I just went through my favorites setup and found several VOD channels not selected <???>, so selected them. But didn't see a Sony Channel or an MGM Channel......I've got the Premier Package and subscribe to the HD Extra Pack......

Didn't see them when I accessed VOD through the menu on demand option either.....will have to look again, but??

D* sent out e-mail this week that showed Sony being in the extra pack, if you hit the link you were taken to D*'s website to the Extra pack page and Sony wasn't there (yet).......

I checked yesterday but couldn't find a Sony or MGM VOD channel....<??>

I find them by using the menu:
On demand
On Demand channels
Hi-Def
All
then page down a few times
These are on channel 1000, so going into the guide and selecting this channel will also get you to the same screen.
A.K.A VOS

#13 OFFLINE   robl45

robl45

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 09:19 AM

so can anyone confirm if these are in 5.1? sony, mgm, and tmc and encore i'm most concerned about as that is what I'd most likely have with my package when i switch to direct tv. I tried to check on my father in laws directv but they don't have the internet connection.

#14 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,523 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 19 October 2010 - 09:29 AM

so can anyone confirm if these are in 5.1? sony, mgm, and tmc and encore i'm most concerned about as that is what I'd most likely have with my package when i switch to direct tv. I tried to check on my father in laws directv but they don't have the internet connection.

If a film is encoded with 5.1 it will most likey be broadcast that way on a HD channel.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#15 OFFLINE   robl45

robl45

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 09:34 AM

If a film is encoded with 5.1 it will most likey be broadcast that way on a HD channel.

i understand that, thats the way it is on uverse on the actual channels, but not on ondemand. so i'm trying to confirm if directv ondemand has them in 5.1 as its really a pain to have to go and record the movies and hog up dvr space etc.

#16 OFFLINE   Nighthawk68

Nighthawk68

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 346 posts
  • LocationNorthern Michigan

Posted 19 October 2010 - 09:35 AM

The 1000 channel movies for Sony, MGM & WB are free, they are not tied to any package, ie MGM only with HD extra pack. You can download from these 3 channels regardless of package or HD.
you need to search thru all movies to pick out what you want for channel 1000. You can how however go Directv's website and filter by channel including Sony, MGM & WB and set up recordings that way.
I have yet to see much in 5.1 audio, the only thing that comes to mind is Dexter last year, HD & 5.1

#17 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,804 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 19 October 2010 - 09:38 AM

i understand that, thats the way it is on uverse on the actual channels, but not on ondemand. so i'm trying to confirm if directv ondemand has them in 5.1 as its really a pain to have to go and record the movies and hog up dvr space etc.

OnDemand takes up DVR space, too. Start a download and play it to test it.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#18 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,621 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 09:40 AM

As myself and others keep posting:
Some are and some aren't.
I just looked at a TMC VOD and yes it was in DD5.1.
This doesn't mean EVERY VOD will be.
A.K.A VOS

#19 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,621 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 09:40 AM

OnDemand takes up DVR space, too. Start a download and play it to test it.

"Done" ;)
A.K.A VOS

#20 OFFLINE   robl45

robl45

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 09:57 AM

The 1000 channel movies for Sony, MGM & WB are free, they are not tied to any package, ie MGM only with HD extra pack. You can download from these 3 channels regardless of package or HD.
you need to search thru all movies to pick out what you want for channel 1000. You can how however go Directv's website and filter by channel including Sony, MGM & WB and set up recordings that way.
I have yet to see much in 5.1 audio, the only thing that comes to mind is Dexter last year, HD & 5.1

yes i've done all this, but that doesn't tell me if the movie is in 5.1. showtime ondemand on uverse is 5.1 on the movies. TMC Encore, starz, are not. so I'm trying to see if its different on directv.

spam firewall