Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

cinema plus 1000 channels

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 07:52 AM

???

When you browse by channel within the on demand feature, you do not see the channel you are on. When you are at the 1000 entry point, you do not see 1000. If you got to 1005, you will see 1000 in the channel list and you will not see 1005.

And, of course, you can get to any channel via the guide.

Every post of his is a riddle.
DTV = Digital Television

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   DogLover

DogLover

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 08:07 AM

I think the point is that when you are on 1005, and you select all, you only get those movies/shows that are on 1005. That applies for all of the "browse by channels" except for 1000. When you select all, you get movies and shows from all channels. Therefore, there is no way to see just those movies/shows that are on 1000.

When you select Cinema on Demand, it only shows PPV movies. When you select channels on demand, you can browse a list of just one particular channel. The only exception to that is channel 1000. I see no way to view only those movies that are on 1000.
DogLover

My Setup

#43 OFFLINE   sdirv

sdirv

Icon

• Registered
  • 524 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 09:58 AM

Every post of his is a riddle.

I'm not good at puzzles/riddles, but I understand what he's saying......I've inquired about the same "issue".

I can't bring up a Sony VOD channel because it doesn't really exist (wish it did), but there are some movies from Sony being shown on demand on Channel 1000 (along with content from other studios).

I don't have the capability of sorting/browsing those Sony titles on channel 1000, but I can look at EVERYTHING in the Directv Cinema section and find the Sony stuff sprinkled throughout (shown on channel 1000).......which tends to be a disorganized PIA.

I was happy to be shown that I can go to D*'s website and sort the content there so I can schedule viewing/DVR'ing.......even though I'm unable to to that with a remote at the receiver itself.

#44 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 10:14 AM

I'm not good at puzzles/riddles, but I understand what he's saying......I've inquired about the same "issue".

I can't bring up a Sony VOD channel because it doesn't really exist (wish it did), but there are some movies from Sony being shown on demand on Channel 1000 (along with content from other studios).

I don't have the capability of sorting/browsing those Sony titles on channel 1000, but I can look at EVERYTHING in the Directv Cinema section and find the Sony stuff sprinkled throughout (shown on channel 1000).......which tends to be a disorganized PIA.

I was happy to be shown that I can go to D*'s website and sort the content there so I can schedule viewing/DVR'ing.......even though I'm unable to to that with a remote at the receiver itself.

Yes, but the Sony titles you are referring to are not associated with the Sony Movie Channel that was just added. Once a VOD version of that channel is launched (if it is launched), it will have it's own VOD channel. The same applies to titles labeled as MGM. They are not associated with the MGM HD channel found in the HD Extra Pack.

I don't understand why folks want those general movie titles to be organized any differently than they already are. There is no reason to sort them by studio. What studio they come from matters little. They are in alphabetical order and the PPV titles are labeled as such. You can choose to browse by genre or view all at once.
DTV = Digital Television

#45 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,700 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 20 October 2010 - 10:18 AM

It would be nice to sort by price, however. Especially as the movie list grows.

I'm sure they want all in there so you see what is available and you might buy it but my experience with things like that, whether it be on demand or iPhone apps is once you get someone used to getting the free stuff they are more likely to buy some things. Right now it is a daunting list that makes it difficult for the dabbler to get into it.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#46 OFFLINE   paulh

paulh

Godfather

• Registered
  • 447 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 11:25 AM

Thank you.
And as you mentioned, this is not a critical issue to me, because I can sort the free to all packages 1000 movies online. Overall I find I find this (lack of)process logic more amusing than frustrating.

But I do think others could benefit if there was a 'free to all' category/channel much like the occasional free Starz or free Showtime DOD 'channels' that do exist from time to time.

#47 OFFLINE   sdirv

sdirv

Icon

• Registered
  • 524 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 06:49 PM

Yes, but the Sony titles you are referring to are not associated with the Sony Movie Channel that was just added. Once a VOD version of that channel is launched (if it is launched), it will have it's own VOD channel. The same applies to titles labeled as MGM. They are not associated with the MGM HD channel found in the HD Extra Pack.

I don't think anyone here said it was....

I don't understand why folks want those general movie titles to be organized any differently than they already are. There is no reason to sort them by studio. What studio they come from matters little. They are in alphabetical order and the PPV titles are labeled as such. You can choose to browse by genre or view all at once.

Convenience???? Would be much easier to find those movies if they weren't all co-mingled with stuff from other studios as well as literally hundreds of PPV.......

#48 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 07:45 PM

Convenience???? Would be much easier to find those movies if they weren't all co-mingled with stuff from other studios as well as literally hundreds of PPV.......

...they are listed by genre and in alphabetical order. The PPV titles are labeled. Pretty convenient already. Why does it matter which studio they came from?
DTV = Digital Television

#49 OFFLINE   gss1537

gss1537

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 09:56 PM

It would be nice to sort by price, however. Especially as the movie list grows.

I'm sure they want all in there so you see what is available and you might buy it but my experience with things like that, whether it be on demand or iPhone apps is once you get someone used to getting the free stuff they are more likely to buy some things. Right now it is a daunting list that makes it difficult for the dabbler to get into it.

I agree. Arranging the list by Price as well as Alpha would make sense and be customer friendly.

#50 OFFLINE   sdirv

sdirv

Icon

• Registered
  • 524 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 10:38 PM

...they are listed by genre and in alphabetical order. The PPV titles are labeled. Pretty convenient already. Why does it matter which studio they came from?

Not so much which studio (although they are placed in the guide like that) but that the titles are mixed in with hundreds of of PPV titles....without a means of filtering.

I (personally) don't do PPV, I go to some lengths to strip PPV channels from the guides I use, and then when looking for content like this I'm pretty much forced to page through hundreds of titles of pay and free content that is all jumbled together in what I've already described to you as a disorganized PIA (although it's browsable by genre and alphabetically).

I compare this to mixing all the shopping and religious channels in with the premium channels and not being able to strip them out of the listing. It would be a PIA.

I was glad to get the tip about being able to go to D*'s website and be able to filter the stuff by channel/studio/free......much better system. At least now I can utilize the stuff, prior to this I didn't use the stuff at all since I had no taste for sifting through page after page of PPV materials.

#51 OFFLINE   DogLover

DogLover

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 05:26 AM

It doesn't. But it would be nice to see them without having to scroll through the movies from Lifetime and Starz and TCM and Showtime, etc, etc. That's the point.
DogLover

My Setup

Protected By... spam firewall...And...