Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

dual docking station

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Snydley

Snydley

AllStar

• Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 05:59 PM

Has anyone tried 2 1G hard drives in a SATA dual docking station, or 2 drives of any size in one for that matter? I've got 1 1G almost full and another empty 1G and would like to try it, but was wondering if anyone has had success with doing this before I plop down my $$$ on one. And as far as the the "putting all my eggs in one basket" argument goes, I backup my EHD regularly on my Linux machine so if a drive went bad I more than likely would have everything to back up to a new drive if necessary, so let's not argue that point.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   olds403

olds403

Godfather

• Registered
  • 332 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 06:25 AM

Does the docking station allow you to power only one of the drives at at time or are both drives available all the time? I would think that it would work if you could select which drive was powered and seen by the DVR. I am using a Kensington 4 port switch that only powers one drive at a time. When you want to select a different drive you use the switch to turn one drive off, then turn on the second drive.

#3 OFFLINE   Snydley

Snydley

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 07:14 AM

Does the docking station allow you to power only one of the drives at at time or are both drives available all the time? I would think that it would work if you could select which drive was powered and seen by the DVR. I am using a Kensington 4 port switch that only powers one drive at a time. When you want to select a different drive you use the switch to turn one drive off, then turn on the second drive.

It looks it can access both drives simultaneously. http://www.newegg.co...3-112-_-Product
I have a VIP622, I was hoping it was "smart" enough to use one drive until full and then start using the other, while allowing me to play programs from it. I've had an EHD since this receiver first got the update that enabled the USB feature and I've recorded a lot of stuff on it since. I used to record DVDs from it with my Panasonic and Phillips set top DVD recorders, but they won't record in HD so I leave the programs on the hard drive now. I've got a 1G drive almost full and another bare drive and am looking for a way to use them both at once. If a dual docking station won't work then I guess I'll get a single station and swap drives when I want.

#4 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 07:47 AM

... If a dual docking station won't work then I guess I'll get a single station and swap drives when I want.

To "swap" drives take a look at this solution. Works for me.

http://www.amazon.co...ref=oss_product

#5 OFFLINE   Snydley

Snydley

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 100 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 10:48 AM

To "swap" drives take a look at this solution. Works for me.

I would have to have another external enclosure in order to use this,(I only have 1). If the dual docking station won't work, then I'll get a single one like this:
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817153071
and just swap the hard drives when they get full.

#6 OFFLINE   bnborg

bnborg

Icon

• Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 12:44 PM

My Rosewill single docking stations each have a power switch that allows you to power the drive down before removing it. A dual docking station that has a separate switch for each drive would be best. It would allow you to power one drive down and then the other drive up.

Without two switches, there would be no advantage over a single docking station. You would only be able to have one drive inserted at a time.

Edited by bnborg, 15 October 2010 - 12:51 PM.

Dish Network VIP722k - Gold 250 + HD/Platinum
110,119, and 129 on Dish 1000.2
Dynex (BestBuy) 42" HDTV, Onkyo TX-SR303 Receiver

#7 OFFLINE   olds403

olds403

Godfather

• Registered
  • 332 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 03:46 PM

I just ordered a second Kensington ShareCentral5 usb switch. I am going to daisy chain it with the one I have now and be able to switch between 7 different drives. I have 5 now, 2-1T, 2-1.5T, and 1-2T. That will give me room for 2 more drives connected to my 722.

#8 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 05:01 PM

I just ordered a second Kensington ShareCentral5 usb switch. I am going to daisy chain it with the one I have now and be able to switch between 7 different drives. I have 5 now, 2-1T, 2-1.5T, and 1-2T. That will give me room for 2 more drives connected to my 722.

Let's see. 4 ports with switches $7.80

or
5 ports for $50-$80
http://files.acco.co...-usconsumer.pdf

#9 OFFLINE   olds403

olds403

Godfather

• Registered
  • 332 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 01:32 PM

I actually got the kensington on Amazon for about $35, I like the kensington. It has a little weight to it and won't slide around when using it. The other ones may be cheap but don't look like there is much to it and would probably slide around on top of my 722. Thanks for the heads up though.

#10 OFFLINE   SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 01:53 PM

I actually got the kensington on Amazon for about $35, I like the kensington. It has a little weight to it and won't slide around when using it. The other ones may be cheap but don't look like there is much to it and would probably slide around on top of my 722. Thanks for the heads up though.

Yeah, I saw them on Amazon for that - used.
http://www.amazon.co...ntral5&x=9&y=13

The "other ones" are cheap - and thus my post - but they have a short pigtail and extend out to the side of my 622. Could be Velcro-ed down, if needed, for a professional look. Mine didn't need that.

Edited by SaltiDawg, 19 October 2010 - 10:40 AM.

#11 OFFLINE   olds403

olds403

Godfather

• Registered
  • 332 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 06:41 AM

I have my 722 in a cabinet and to be able to access it the switch must sit on top of the 722 near the front so I can reach it. I didn't even look at the length of the pigtail on it, I don't think it would reach. Like I said, thanks anyways, always good to have options.

#12 OFFLINE   TulsaOK

TulsaOK

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,469 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 09:00 AM

Use an extension cable. That's what I did.

Edited by Kent Taylor, 19 October 2010 - 09:01 AM.

<span style='font-size: 10px;'>“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.”<br /> - John Wayne</span><br /><br />Avatar: Tanner 1992 - 2009

#13 OFFLINE   bnborg

bnborg

Icon

• Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 12:34 PM

I know this is an old thread but I thought I'd post a relavant experience.

I did get a Calvary Dual Drive USB docking station. Just for giggles, I tried it on my VIP722k. It works fine with just one drive.

If I add a second drive "live", the DVR does not see it. If I turn it on with two drives already in it, the DVR picks the first one and mounts it.

I mainly bought the station for backing up the EHD's using my computer. The docking station is USB 3.0.
Dish Network VIP722k - Gold 250 + HD/Platinum
110,119, and 129 on Dish 1000.2
Dynex (BestBuy) 42" HDTV, Onkyo TX-SR303 Receiver

spam firewall