Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR24's, H24.. freezing or rebooting

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Solsalia

Solsalia

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 09:50 PM

How is the HDMI connection causing the receiver to freeze up or reboot itself. Component connections seem to resolve this. How could it cause a receiver to reboot itself?

What is the quality of picture from component to hdmi? Does it change the picture that much? Is the only convenience of comp cables, less cables?

Thanks in advance

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,909 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 15 October 2010 - 06:38 AM

How is the HDMI connection causing the receiver to freeze up or reboot itself. Component connections seem to resolve this. How could it cause a receiver to reboot itself?

What is the quality of picture from component to hdmi? Does it change the picture that much? Is the only convenience of comp cables, less cables?

Thanks in advance

Because there is handshaking between the TV and the sat box. If the response from the TV is not what is expected, and sufficient error trapping is not present in the sat box, very strange things can happen. Eventually, the sat boxes firmware is updated to take care of the problem, but it can be quite a while before it gets fixed.

Picture quality is, in most cases, equivalent. Sometimes component may even look better on a particular TV. If HDMI is a problem for you, use component, and wait out the fix for HDMI if you want the convenience.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#3 OFFLINE   Sam Houston

Sam Houston

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 08:24 AM

DTV was installed in my home 3 weeks ago: HD satellite & HD DVR (HR24). I am using an HDMI cable provided by DTV to connect to my Sony Bravia 46". Approximately 25 times per day, a black screen appears for 3 seconds, then reverts back to programming. Same issues when watching playback (recorded programming). A DTV technician suggested that I purchase a Monster cable M1000 series because "...it appears you are having a refreshing issue." I have not purchased the Monster cable. Anyone else experiencing black outs on their screens? What's the solution(s) for this annoying issue?

#4 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 08:43 AM

Try a different HDMI Cable such as one from Monoprice.com and see if that works or use Component Cables and try that.

Some Displays are just not compatible with all types of cables and it also depends upon the version of the HDMI Protocol for that particular cable.

Monster Cables are a Ripoff. Monoprice cables are every bit as good as Monster and 1/3 of the price.

Edited by Richierich, 19 October 2010 - 01:05 PM.

DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#5 OFFLINE   mobandit

mobandit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 09:25 AM

DTV was installed in my home 3 weeks ago: HD satellite & HD DVR (HR24). I am using an HDMI cable provided by DTV to connect to my Sony Bravia 46". Approximately 25 times per day, a black screen appears for 3 seconds, then reverts back to programming. Same issues when watching playback (recorded programming). A DTV technician suggested that I purchase a Monster cable M1000 series because "...it appears you are having a refreshing issue." I have not purchased the Monster cable. Anyone else experiencing black outs on their screens? What's the solution(s) for this annoying issue?

Do not waste your money on a Monster-brand cable. The difference between Monster and other brands is negligible for the vast majority of all home users. Monoprice cables seem every bit as capable as Monster, at a fraction of the price.

ETCM (SS/SW), USN (RET)
22 years, 4 months, 9 days

Protected By... spam firewall...And...