Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Longest Cable run?

• Please log in to reply
138 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 08:35 PM

Has anyone ever used one of these to compensate on a long cable run?

http://www.solidsign...tiswitches&sku=

My in-laws have a long cable run to a SWM receiver in the back bedroom. The total cable run may be close to 200 feet. Everything works well except for the Whole House DVR Service over DECA. It works for a few minutes and then you lose the connection. I am hoping that the above amplifier will solve the problem.

doubt it would help deca at all.. it says it doesn't do anything under 900..
for this situation good old cat5 maybe the best fix..

AKA: SMOKE
MRV was all that's left on my wishlist (wishlist done) :D

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   geaux tigers

geaux tigers

Icon

• Registered
  • 550 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 08:47 PM

What does frequency does DECA broadcast at? Thanks.

The CT-SLA amplifier is designed to provide a capability to extend the distance for long coax drops which exceed the specified distance capability of the SWM8, SWM16 and SWM32.

"The amp will work over 12 to 29 volts and can be powered in-line or via a separate F-input in the die-cast housing. DC input voltage is blocked from being passed out of any port to prevent current from passing to SWMs or IRD.

The amplifier is passive from 1 to 800 MHz and has 11 dB gain at 950 MHz and 16 dB gain at 2150 MHz compensating for cable slope and loss. Table 1 summarizes its electrical and RF specification parameters.

Extends SWM Output 200 ft. over RG-6. The CT-SLA amplifier is designed to provide a capability to extend the distance for long coax drops which exceed the specified distance capability of the SWM8, SWM16 and SWM32."

#43 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 08:54 PM

forget the exact freq. it's around OTA channel 20, so it should be around 500..
well under the amps spec.. also amp would have to work both ways as well..

Still think your only option is to run a cat5 line to that reciever..

#44 OFFLINE   geaux tigers

geaux tigers

Icon

• Registered
  • 550 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 09:01 PM

What about a ethernet over powerline adapter? Would this work?

http://www.monoprice...&seq=1&format=2

#45 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 09:03 PM

maybe.. powerline is hit or miss.. depends on home wiring.. either will work or not..
pick a place you can return it to if needed..

#46 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,722 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 09:11 PM

550 MHz +/- 25 MHz.

If SWiM is working, then cable loss isn't the problem with DECA, since the loss is less @ 550 MHz AND DECA is about 30 dB HIGH too.

200' = -10dB @ 550 MHz

Edited by veryoldschool, 04 June 2011 - 09:20 PM.

A.K.A VOS

#47 OFFLINE   geaux tigers

geaux tigers

Icon

• Registered
  • 550 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 10:25 PM

If both DECA and the ethernet port are connected at the same time will it make a diffrence. There are other receivers connected to the system and the Whole House MRV works fine on them. The only diffrence between the receivers is the long cable run of the one in the back bedroom. That is why I figured the problem was the long cable run.

#48 OFFLINE   geaux tigers

geaux tigers

Icon

• Registered
  • 550 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 11:09 PM

Would this work?

http://www.solidsign...Amplifiers&sku=

#49 OFFLINE   azarby

azarby

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,019 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 11:30 PM

If you do this (power line adaptor) or run a cat 5 direct, you may need to isloate the long 200 ft coax run from the rest of the DECA with the DECA blocking filter (red bandstop filter). This would prevent a lot of problems that the other receivers may ecounter with untimely reflecton from going 200 ft and back.

#50 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,722 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 07:15 AM

If both DECA and the ethernet port are connected at the same time will it make a diffrence. There are other receivers connected to the system and the Whole House MRV works fine on them. The only diffrence between the receivers is the long cable run of the one in the back bedroom. That is why I figured the problem was the long cable run.

Is this receiver a H/HR24?
If so, you can run tests on the DECA by pressing the guide & > "buttons" [both at the same time on the front panel].
The menu that shows has "coax" and there are two tests: level & PHY MESH.
Post the two test screen numbers and it will help to know how your DECA is working.
A.K.A VOS

#51 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,973 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 07:33 AM

Don't mean to hijack, but since it is on topic:

A friend of mine has a "barn" where he works on classic cars. The barn is about 250-300' from his house and he has a run of burial rated RG6 (not sure if CCS or SC). With a D13 receiver, he gets most channels fine, but has issues with the music channels. He is running a SWM system, but not sure which (LNB or -8), nor am I sure how many splitters are in the system.

I am puzzled by why he can get most channels, but not the music channels, which is what he really wants so he can listen while working.

#52 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,722 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 08:27 AM

Don't mean to hijack, but since it is on topic:

A friend of mine has a "barn" where he works on classic cars. The barn is about 250-300' from his house and he has a run of burial rated RG6 (not sure if CCS or SC). With a D13 receiver, he gets most channels fine, but has issues with the music channels. He is running a SWM system, but not sure which (LNB or -8), nor am I sure how many splitters are in the system.

I am puzzled by why he can get most channels, but not the music channels, which is what he really wants so he can listen while working.

You'd need to post a bunch more info to even start to get an idea, but "my guess" is he's right at the limit so weaker TPs aren't working, while the stronger ones are.
A.K.A VOS

#53 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,761 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 05 June 2011 - 08:36 AM

You'd need to post a bunch more info to even start to get an idea, but "my guess" is he's right at the limit so weaker TPs aren't working, while the stronger ones are.

At least he need to post a picture with signal levels of 101W on that D13.

#54 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,973 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 08:41 AM

I need to go over and look. This is all based on what he told me last night.

#55 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 10:32 AM

Let me help,

The cable is underground and the EZ listening channels are afraid to go down in the dirt and dark. So blast through with a Led Zepplin or Miles Davis to clear things out. They can cut through anything. Then let Kenny G bring it!

Joe:rolleyes:

OR he could get an 18" dish, bypass the UG run and bring the sounds to a garage receiver. Electrons are whores; they don't care how they get there.

Edited by joe diamond, 05 June 2011 - 10:42 AM.
typo....couldn't spell Kenney's last name

#56 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,557 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 05 June 2011 - 11:14 AM

What does downlink signal strength have to do with SWiM IF signal strength?

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#57 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,722 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 11:29 AM

What does downlink signal strength have to do with SWiM IF signal strength?

Why do you keep replying to ANY of my posts, since YOU KNOW you're on my ignore list????

As to your ##^$ question, should you ever have this hardware, you might have a ###$ clue how it works.

A weak SAT signal will only get amplified by about 15 dB out of the SWiM, so the cable/splitter losses between the SWiM and receiver could easily work for the stronger SAT signals and not for the weaker ones if the losses are close to or at the limits.

Now back to you being @#%% ignored. :flaiming
A.K.A VOS

#58 ONLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,725 posts
  • LocationCollege Park MD (just outside Wash, DC)

Posted 05 June 2011 - 11:36 AM

The relatively weaker transponders will have a lower S/N coming out of the SWM, even if the SWM's AGC makes them all equal in intermediate frequency signal strength, so, all other things being equal, those transponders that start out weak will be the first to fail to be reliably decoded as distribution attenuation brings them all down to the putative input threshold of the receiver.

I suppose it is also possible that less forward error correction bandwidth is allocated to the music transponder, if it has its own transponder

#59 OFFLINE   geaux tigers

geaux tigers

Icon

• Registered
  • 550 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 12:25 PM

Is this receiver a H/HR24?
If so, you can run tests on the DECA by pressing the guide & > "buttons" [both at the same time on the front panel].
The menu that shows has "coax" and there are two tests: level & PHY MESH.
Post the two test screen numbers and it will help to know how your DECA is working.

The receiver is an H24. I will run the test and post the results the next time I am at my in-laws.

I am hoping that everyone is wrong about the first amplifier not solving the problem since it is on order from Solid Signal. I wonder why they excluded the DECA frequencies? Would amplified DECA frequencies cause problems?

Will the second amplifier that I posted made by Sonora work?

There is already a powerline adapter near the H24 that a blu-ray is hooked up to. It is the model from Monoprice that I posted earlier. Unfortunately, it only has one output and therefor I will need a switch. I will try to get a DECA Blocker Filter and explore that option. Should I connect the DECA Blocker Filter near the splitter in the attic or near the H24?

I would love to run cat 5 or 6 to the H24 but my in-laws have a two story house and there is no practical way to run the wire without cutting sheet rock.

Any advise regarding this problem is greatly appreciated.

#60 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,722 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 12:41 PM

The receiver is an H24. I will run the test and post the results the next time I am at my in-laws.

I am hoping that everyone is wrong about the first amplifier not solving the problem since it is on order from Solid Signal. I wonder why they excluded the DECA frequencies? Would amplified DECA frequencies cause problems?

Will the second amplifier that I posted made by Sonora work?

There is already a powerline adapter near the H24 that a blu-ray is hooked up to. It is the model from Monoprice that I posted earlier. Unfortunately, it only has one output and therefor I will need a switch. I will try to get a DECA Blocker Filter and explore that option. Should I connect the DECA Blocker Filter near the splitter in the attic or near the H24?

I would love to run cat 5 or 6 to the H24 but my in-laws have a two story house and there is no practical way to run the wire without cutting sheet rock.

Any advise regarding this problem is greatly appreciated.

Both amps won't work with DECA, so I don't know why you've ordered one. :confused:
Before you start throwing "crap" at the problem, use the tests of the 24s to "know" if you have a problem.

You've got a coax with about 10 dB of loss, but DECAs have 50+ dB of range.
A.K.A VOS

spam firewall