Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Longest Cable run?

• Please log in to reply
138 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   geaux tigers

geaux tigers

Icon

• Registered
  • 550 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 01:00 PM

Both amps won't work with DECA, so I don't know why you've ordered one. :confused:
Before you start throwing "crap" at the problem, use the tests of the 24s to "know" if you have a problem.

You've got a coax with about 10 dB of loss, but DECAs have 50+ dB of range.

The order was placed before I posted in this thread. I posted my problem before on DBS Talk in another thread but never received a reply back. Since the only H24 having DECA problems is the one in the bedroom that has a very long run I figured an amplifier specifically made for SWM may help. I asked others via telephone and they told me it may solve the problem.

If you call that throwing crap at a problem then I guess that is what I have done. Why will the other amp not work? I am not an engineer and I did not sleep at a Holliday Inn Select last night.

#62 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,733 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 01:17 PM

The order was placed before I posted in this thread. I posted my problem before on DBS Talk in another thread but never received a reply back. Since the only H24 having DECA problems is the one in the bedroom that has a very long run I figured an amplifier specifically made for SWM may help. I asked others via telephone and they told me it may solve the problem.

If you call that throwing crap at a problem then I guess that is what I have done. Why will the other amp not work? I am not an engineer and I did not sleep at a Holliday Inn Select last night.

This amp would help if this receiver was getting 771 errors for the SAT signals.
These amps are made for SWiM only. They have compensation for cable loss over frequency, so there is no gain at the lower and more at the upper.
DECA is below all SWiM frequencies and may not even pass "backwards" through these amps.

Here's a graph to give you some idea of the losses:

http://www.dbstalk.c...=1&d=1307301358

As I hope you can see, there is less loss for DECA than for the SAT signals.

Attached Thumbnails

• RFloss.png

A.K.A VOS

#63 OFFLINE   geaux tigers

geaux tigers

Icon

• Registered
  • 550 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 02:57 PM

This amp would help if this receiver was getting 771 errors for the SAT signals.
These amps are made for SWiM only. They have compensation for cable loss over frequency, so there is no gain at the lower and more at the upper.
DECA is below all SWiM frequencies and may not even pass "backwards" through these amps.

Here's a graph to give you some idea of the losses:

http://www.dbstalk.c...=1&d=1307301358

As I hope you can see, there is less loss for DECA than for the SAT signals.

Thanks.

#64 OFFLINE   geaux tigers

geaux tigers

Icon

• Registered
  • 550 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 05:41 PM

Is this receiver a H/HR24?
If so, you can run tests on the DECA by pressing the guide & > "buttons" [both at the same time on the front panel].
The menu that shows has "coax" and there are two tests: level & PHY MESH.
Post the two test screen numbers and it will help to know how your DECA is working.

The results are:

0 N/A
1 43
2 62
3 47
4 38

Dropped Session Count 0.

There is some more information as well which involves NODE followed by a lot of letters and numbers. I will post that as well if it is important.

The Whole House DVR works in the bedroom (the long run H24) but then it loses the connection after several minutes. The other H24s that have shorter cable runs maintain a good connection.

#65 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,733 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 05:48 PM

The results are:

0 N/A
1 43
2 62
3 47
4 38

Dropped Session Count 0.

There is some more information as well which involves NODE followed by a lot of letters and numbers. I will post that as well if it is important.

The Whole House DVR works in the bedroom (the long run H24) but then it loses the connection after several minutes. The other H24s that have shorter cable runs maintain a good connection.

That 62 is signs of too much loss.
The "letters & numbers" are the DECA MAC addresses, which are listed on them. This is helpful to know which is which.
What type of splitter do you have?
If it isn't the type with a green label, then changing it will get better signals.
A.K.A VOS

#66 OFFLINE   geaux tigers

geaux tigers

Icon

• Registered
  • 550 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 06:02 PM

That 62 is signs of too much loss.
The "letters & numbers" are the DECA MAC addresses, which are listed on them. This is helpful to know which is which.
What type of splitter do you have?
If it isn't the type with a green label, then changing it will get better signals.

I believe from memory that this is the splitter in the attic:

http://www.solidsign...ku=874409002084

I believe from memory this is what is powering it:

http://www.solidsign...)&c=Multiswitch Power Supplies&sku=874409000844

#67 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,733 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 06:09 PM

I believe from memory that this is the splitter in the attic:

http://www.solidsign...ku=874409002084

I believe from memory this is what is powering it:

http://www.solidsign...)&c=Multiswitch Power Supplies&sku=874409000844

The PI isn't a problem.
I hope your memory isn't correct and you have this instead:
http://www.solidsign...Amplifiers&sku=

These number [losses] are fairly high and one is too much.
1 43
2 62 <----
3 47
4 38
The limit is 60 and above 60 the bit rates start to drop off. I know from actually testing this.
The non green splitters have about 25 dB loss for DECA, where the green ones have been modified, where the 8-way is only 14 dB.
Since you're not having SAT signal issues, this really suggests you have the wrong splitter.
A.K.A VOS

#68 OFFLINE   geaux tigers

geaux tigers

Icon

• Registered
  • 550 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 06:11 PM

It appears that this one has more power:

http://www.solidsign...)&c=Multiswitch Power Supplies&sku=

Would this solve the problem?

#69 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,733 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 06:16 PM

It appears that this one has more power:

http://www.solidsign...)&c=Multiswitch Power Supplies&sku=

Would this solve the problem?

Nope. SWiM & DECA are completely separate of each other.

You seem to be looking for a SWiM solution to a DECA problem, which isn't going to have any affect.

You REALLY need to check out the splitter.
A.K.A VOS

#70 OFFLINE   geaux tigers

geaux tigers

Icon

• Registered
  • 550 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 06:17 PM

The PI isn't a problem.
I hope your memory isn't correct and you have this instead:
http://www.solidsign...Amplifiers&sku=

These number [losses] are fairly high and one is too much.
1 43
2 62 <----
3 47
4 38
The limit is 60 and above 60 the bit rates start to drop off. I know from actually testing this.
The non green splitters have about 25 dB loss for DECA, where the green ones have been modified, where the 8-way is only 14 dB.
Since you're not having SAT signal issues, this really suggests you have the wrong splitter.

I am fairly certain I have the splitter with the green label. Could I have a bad splitter? I am also using a splitter to hook up the DECA to the HR24 in the den. I believe this is the splitter I am using for the DECA to the HR24:

http://www.idealindu...tters&l3=85-332

Edited by geaux tigers, 05 June 2011 - 06:23 PM.

#71 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,733 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 06:26 PM

I am fairly certain I have the splitter with the green label. Could I have a bad splitter. I am also using a splitter to hook up the DECA to the HR24 in the den.

You know which receiver is where, but I don't. :lol:
You don't want to have 200' of coax off an 8-way AND THEN use another splitter downstream, but I'd guess you aren't or the SWiM would be giving you problems.

Any splitter can be bad, but they're damn near bulletproof.

"The thing is" from what you've posted, the wrong splitter makes the most sense.

I see you edited and added that splitter. That one is good for SAT signals but since DECA passes between outputs, is the type with 25 dB loss, where a 2-way green splitter is only 8 dB.
A.K.A VOS

#72 OFFLINE   geaux tigers

geaux tigers

Icon

• Registered
  • 550 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 06:30 PM

You know which receiver is where, but I don't. :lol:
You don't want to have 200' of coax off an 8-way AND THEN use another splitter downstream, but I'd guess you aren't or the SWiM would be giving you problems.

Any splitter can be bad, but they're damn near bulletproof.

"The thing is" from what you've posted, the wrong splitter makes the most sense.

I see you edited and added that splitter. That one is good for SAT signals but since DECA passes between outputs, is the type with 25 dB loss, where a 2-way green splitter is only 8 dB.

Is the two way splitter OK? I have my DECA unit hooked up to the input and the I have one end going to the HR24 and the other end going back to the splitter if my memory is correct. Additionally, why are two of the ports on the SWM 8 switch red? I am only using the red input on the side of the SWM 8 switch and am not using the other red port. All ports that are not being used have a cap on them. The red port does not have a cap on it.

Edited by geaux tigers, 05 June 2011 - 06:36 PM.

#73 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,733 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 06:39 PM

Is the two way splitter OK? I have my DECA unit hooked up to the input and the I have one end going to the HR24 and the other end going back to the splitter if my memory is correct. Additionally, why are two of the ports on the SWM 8 switch red? I am only using the red input on the side of the SWM 8 switch and am not using the other red port. All ports that are not being used have a cap on them.

Sounds like you've got it connected BACKWARDS.
Input should go to the "other splitter" and the DECA should be on an output with the receiver on the other. Is this your BB DECA connection?
If not, why are you having a DECA & the HR24???
The red ports are the power [DC] passing ones, so if you connect the PI through it, you need to use the red ports. Otherwise they're just like the other ports [if you're not using the PI].
A.K.A VOS

#74 OFFLINE   geaux tigers

geaux tigers

Icon

• Registered
  • 550 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 06:51 PM

Sounds like you've got it connected BACKWARDS.
Input should go to the "other splitter" and the DECA should be on an output with the receiver on the other. Is this your BB DECA connection?
If not, why are you having a DECA & the HR24???
The red ports are the power [DC] passing ones, so if you connect the PI through it, you need to use the red ports. Otherwise they're just like the other ports [if you're not using the PI].

I may have it hooked up backwards. Would it still be working if I had it hooked up backwards? The HR24 is by the internet connection and that is why I have it split by the HR24. I should also let you know that I have the DECA connected to a powerline adapter. I would prefer to have it connected directly into the modem but the modem is not close to any RG6 cable and there is no way to run cat 5 / 6 to the DECA without ripping apart the house.

Why does it have two red ports though? Would you ever hook up two power inserters to a single switch. I did put a cap over the red port one time and I lost the signal and quickly took the cap off. Why did that happen?

Edited by geaux tigers, 05 June 2011 - 07:02 PM.

#75 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,733 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 06:58 PM

I may have it hooked up backwards. Would it still be working if I had it hooked up backwards? The HR24 is by the internet connection and that is why I have it split by the HR24. I should also let you know that I have the DECA connected to a powerline adapter. I would prefer to have it connected directly into the modem but the modem is not close to any RG6 cable and there is no way to run cat 5 / 6 to the DECA without ripping apart the house.

"Well" if you do have it connected backwards AND this HR24 is where you ran the test earlier, "then" this explains almost everything. The Splitter being backwards would add about 20 dB to your readings.

The powerline isn't the problem, as this would only affect your network/internet.

Make sure the input goes to the other splitter and then the extra loss of this splitter would only be between the BB DECA and the HR24, which isn't a big deal because they so close [short coax].
A.K.A VOS

#76 OFFLINE   geaux tigers

geaux tigers

Icon

• Registered
  • 550 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 07:07 PM

"Well" if you do have it connected backwards AND this HR24 is where you ran the test earlier, "then" this explains almost everything. The Splitter being backwards would add about 20 dB to your readings.

The powerline isn't the problem, as this would only affect your network/internet.

Make sure the input goes to the other splitter and then the extra loss of this splitter would only be between the BB DECA and the HR24, which isn't a big deal because they so close [short coax].

I ran the test from the H24 in the back bedroom (the long run). I did not run it from the HR24.

#77 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,733 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 07:13 PM

I ran the test from the H24 in the back bedroom (the long run). I did not run it from the HR24.

So then "this splitter" wasn't always in the loop for testing, or it was only for the HR24.
Now was the HR24 the one with the 62 in the earlier test?
Is this the DVR that you're trying to use MRV from on the receiver that is having problems???
If so then it still could be the problem.
A.K.A VOS

#78 OFFLINE   geaux tigers

geaux tigers

Icon

• Registered
  • 550 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 07:16 PM

So then "this splitter" wasn't always in the loop for testing, or it was only for the HR24.
Now was the HR24 the one with the 62 in the earlier test?
Is this the DVR that you're trying to use MRV from on the receiver that is having problems???
If so then it still could be the problem.

I believe the 62 was the HR24 which is located in the den. The splitter has always been part of the equation.

#79 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,733 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 07:24 PM

I believe the 62 was the HR24 which is located in the den. The splitter has always been part of the equation.

So "maybe" you've found the problem.
Connect the splitter so its input goes to the other splitter, connect the HR24 & DECA to the outputs.
Then re-run the coax test from the H24. If the 62 goes away, "then" so may your problem with MRV.
A.K.A VOS

#80 OFFLINE   geaux tigers

geaux tigers

Icon

• Registered
  • 550 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 07:48 PM

So "maybe" you've found the problem.
Connect the splitter so its input goes to the other splitter, connect the HR24 & DECA to the outputs.
Then re-run the coax test from the H24. If the 62 goes away, "then" so may your problem with MRV.

Thanks, I will check the connections when I go back to my in-laws.

Just curious regarding the other question. Why does the SWM 8 splitter have two PI ports? Would you ever run two PI to a SWM 8 splitter. Additionally, why did I lose the signal when I put a terminal cap on the red PI output / input of the SWM 8 splitter. Thanks.

spam firewall