Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Your iPhone Could Carry More Germs Than a Public Toilet

l685

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,199 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 15 October 2010 - 03:43 PM

It’s flu season again and it seems like the biggest carrier of germs could be that sleek little smartphone you just can’t live without.

That’s right. Personal touch-screen devices like iPhones, iPads, Droids and BlackBerrys carry more germs than a toilet in a subway bathroom, according to a study published in the Journal of Applied Microbiology.

Full Article: http://www.foxnews.c...test=latestnews

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q4 2014 Set-Up

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,691 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 15 October 2010 - 05:01 PM

I wonder how some people are using their phones!

I wipe mine off pretty regularly, not obsessively, but in part because I like getting the fingerprints off of it.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#3 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,211 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 15 October 2010 - 05:09 PM

Sigh. You know, we, as humans, used to drink from rivers that would, today, qualify as toxic waste. The challenges our body faces on a microbiological front today (with a couple of notable exceptions) are NOTHING compared to what it's geared for.

#4 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,300 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 15 October 2010 - 08:12 PM

Public loos, hotel rooms and shopping cart handles are one thing, but I'm the only one who touches or breaths on my cell. Why should I worry? :shrug:

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#5 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 7,199 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 16 October 2010 - 07:08 AM

Public loos, hotel rooms and shopping cart handles are one thing, but I'm the only one who touches or breaths on my cell. Why should I worry? :shrug:

Posted Image

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q4 2014 Set-Up

#6 OFFLINE   BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy

Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt...&a

• Registered
  • 5,261 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 07:28 AM

Sigh. You know, we, as humans, used to drink from rivers that would, today, qualify as toxic waste. The challenges our body faces on a microbiological front today (with a couple of notable exceptions) are NOTHING compared to what it's geared for.

Agreed. By over sanitizing everything, and over vaccinating ourselves, super germs are being created, plus we are losing our ability to fight off even the basic nasties we used to be able to.
We are sanitizing ourselves to death, well a lot of people are..
Just wiping off the cell phone screen won't kill the little beasties, but that is the least of my worries, and I'm not going to spray my phone with Lysol. :nono2:

#7 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,691 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 16 October 2010 - 01:53 PM

Just wiping off the cell phone screen won't kill the little beasties, but that is the least of my worries, and I'm not going to spray my phone with Lysol. :nono2:

Exactly... I wipe off all that I can see every now and again... and I don't use my phone to wipe up spills nor drop it in the floor or toilet!

Meanwhile, practicing basic hygiene myself I'm about as "clean" as I can be without going through a sterilization process.

If you just trim your nails, wash your hands when you do really nasty things and clean the dirt off them... that's really all you need.

Even if you use anti-bacterial stuff... within seconds there is a new wave of germs and microscopic stuff back on you anyway!

The key isn't to OCD overkill scrub things until you are scrubbing skin and surface material away... but to try not to live in a cesspool and develop some general good habits.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#8 ONLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,475 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 16 October 2010 - 03:08 PM

I assume everyone knows that the Apple tech folks clean their iPhones, iPads, etc. screens with iKlear products which are also available slightly cheaper from Amazon.

No they're not anti-bacterial or anti-viral, and you don't clean the case with them, at least I don't on my iPad. But reducing the crud on your screen can't hurt.

Edited by phrelin, 16 October 2010 - 04:33 PM.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#9 OFFLINE   trdrjeff

trdrjeff

Icon

• Registered
  • 771 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 08:42 AM

I actually use hand sanitizer to clean my Zagg Invisibleshield, the Alcohol cleans up the oils and dirt quite well. But my phone is not a public device :D
HR20-100
Sharp 52" LCD 1080p
Yamaha YSP Sound Projector fed with Optical
Harmony 700

HR22-100
32" Samsung LED New School

#10 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,028 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 19 October 2010 - 10:54 PM

Touch Screen Devices Harbor Germs

by RACHEL KING, ZDnet

This may not be a shock to most people with say, common sense, but a new study has found that touch screen devices are just riddled with germs and other bacteria. Hope you got a flu shot already.

According to the Sacramento Bee, a Stanford University study has found that the risks of transmitting germs and bacteria between a glass or touch screen surface to human skin is fairly high. For example, if a virus is sitting on top of your iPhone, it is likely that 30% of that will make it to your fingertips.

The Bee continues on with some additional scary stats. Take this one from Proporta, a company that sells antimicrobial cases, that asserts that “the average mobile phone has 25,127 germs per square inch.”

This isn’t exactly the first time anyone has considered studying this. Just take this one example from Manchester Metropolitan University a few years back that found the inside of a cell phone is dirtier than the bottom of a shoe.

While all of this might be gross to think about, I don’t think it will stop anyone from buying or using gadgets with touch screen. It’s become too popular and too convenient a technology for anyone to quit now. But it might breed more anti-germ, tech-related products. At the very least, it might be a good idea to keep a bottle of Purell on you at all times.

If you’re a real germaphobe but you can’t imagine parting ways with your smartphone or tablet, you could always spring for a UV-enabled sanitizing station, like the Violight that is supposed to roll out this month. Otherwise, you’ll just be festering and feeding this very sick addiction.

http://www.zdnet.com...&tag=nl.rSINGLE
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

Protected By... spam firewall...And...