Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Diplexer help

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   hahler2

hahler2

AllStar

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 07:01 PM

I currently have 2 coax cables going to my satellite receiver. One obviously carries the Sat signal and the other my OTA. I would like to free up one coax for using ethernet over coax. However, if I use a diplexer and combine the signals I lose some stations that I get running the ota on a separate coax. I am using an amplifier right before the ota signal runs into the diplexer.

My question is would I get better signal if I put a second amplifier after the diplexer at the receiver and/or put a pre amp at the antenna?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 07:32 PM

If I understand correctly, Ethernet over Coax can't coexist with OTA.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#3 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,795 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 15 October 2010 - 07:47 PM

You would be better off with a preamp at the antenna before it goes into the combining diplexer. But the problem there is how do you power the pre-amp ?
I've seen diplexers at Ace Hardware that "output power" to both the satellite LNB and the OTA - I don't know if that feature actually works for powering a preamp. Most receiver LNB inputs put out too much voltage (18-20VDC) to power a preamp(5-9VDC).
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#4 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 07:49 PM

I'm pretty sure hahler2 is trying to diplex the sat and OTA signals together, so he can use the other coax for Ethernet.

What kind of amp are you using? Model? How long is the cable run from the OTA antenna to the amp? What kind of signal strengths are you seeing?

RF is a strange beast, and what works in one location may not always work at another, so there's a bit of art to it.

#5 OFFLINE   oljim

oljim

Godfather

• Registered
  • 482 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 05:34 AM

Save your self more problems, run new cable
This finger was not made to press 1 for english

#6 OFFLINE   hahler2

hahler2

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 10:10 AM

The amplifier that i currently am using is the wineguard amp that came with the antenna. All it says on it is that it outputs 18 v dc at 5.4 w. So I guess I'm not sure about it.

Running another cable is just really not an option. I would have to take out a lot of sheet rock in order to do it.

Cable run from the Antenna to the amp is about 50 feet. Than another 30 or so from diplexer to receiver. When i run the cable separately signal strength is very good. 70 or better.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...