Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR24's through Solid Signal?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   EW800

EW800

AllStar

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 08:37 PM

Hello, All --

I am switching to DTV on Sunday. I've ordered two HD DVR and two HD receivers with the WholeHome package, however I know that with the current hardware shortage the chances of me getting the HR24's and H24's is slim... :(

I see that Solid Signal has the HR24's for $199. Can you tell me if I were to get an HR24 from Solid Signal at this price, would I own the unit or are they leased as well?

If the installer shows up with something other than the HR24's and H24's, can you tell me what my options would be? If I really want to the 24's, can I go forward with the whole install and then send the the two HD DVR's and two HR Receivers back to DTV and then order the 24's from Solid Signal or would there be a better way to go about this. Bottom line is that I would really prefer to end up with the 24's.

Thanks for any thoughts and insight!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 08:40 PM

Schedule the install with SolidSignal or take your chances with DirecTv. It all boils down to whether you are willing to pay for what you want.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#3 OFFLINE   zhezhang

zhezhang

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 08:42 PM

It is leased.

#4 OFFLINE   Kodok

Kodok

AllStar

• Registered
  • 88 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 08:46 PM

Actually just got 3 HR24s from SolidSignal 2 weeks ago. They are all HR24-500s. I live in Chicago so shipping is only one day w/ ground service from Novi, MI.

Btw, they are all leased receivers. I'm already a DirecTV customer so the upgrade is as simple as activating the new receivers and deactivating the old ones.

#5 OFFLINE   EW800

EW800

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 08:51 PM

Actually just got 3 HR24s from SolidSignal 2 weeks ago. They are all HR24-500s. I live in Chicago so shipping is only one day w/ ground service from Novi, MI.

Btw, they are all leased receivers. I'm already a DirecTV customer so the upgrade is as simple as activating the new receivers and deactivating the old ones.

Thanks. If I need to go this route, is it just as simple as shipping the DVR's and recievers that I receive back to DTV and ordering from SolidSignal, or would DTV have a stroke over the fact that I am sending equipment back a few days after the install?

Thanks again.

#6 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 08:53 PM

DirecTv doesnt care either way.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#7 OFFLINE   EW800

EW800

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 08:55 PM

DirecTv doesnt care either way.

I assume that the free DVR and discounted receivers deal would be out the window and SolidSignal would charge the full $199, $199, $99 and $99, or are they able to offer the same deal as DTV?

#8 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 08:58 PM

They are a DirecTv dealer. Call them and see what they can offer you. They should have access to all DirecTv new customer promo's, but as to whether they can offer a free DVR, you would have to check with them.

#9 OFFLINE   johnp37

johnp37

Icon

• Registered
  • 537 posts
  • LocationCentral NJ

Posted 16 October 2010 - 07:46 AM

Thanks. If I need to go this route, is it just as simple as shipping the DVR's and recievers that I receive back to DTV and ordering from SolidSignal, or would DTV have a stroke over the fact that I am sending equipment back a few days after the install?

Thanks again.

Did you request 24s when you first placed your order with D*? If so, you were likely told that you would get what was available, no guarantees. If you get a model other than what you requested, just refuse the install thus avoiding the hassle of ordering recovery kits, packing everything up and sending them on their way. Just my 2 cents.

#10 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,887 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 09:44 AM

If you get a model other than what you requested, just refuse the install thus avoiding the hassle of ordering recovery kits, packing everything up and sending them on their way. Just my 2 cents.

To the OP...

Please don't go this route, it only screws the installers out of hard earned money.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#11 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 05:06 PM

I assume that the free DVR and discounted receivers deal would be out the window and SolidSignal would charge the full $199, $199, $99 and $99, or are they able to offer the same deal as DTV?

If you order from SS as a new customer, you can get the same deals (any retailer can offer you the current promotions if you qualify). There are some specific promotions (AAA, for example, which requires calling a special phone number) that no retailer can offer, but you can't get those on the normal DirecTV line either.

But if you order from DirecTV and then decide to "upgrade" by ordering receivers from Solid Signal or some other retailer, you'll pay full lease upgrade price for the receivers from the retailer and get ZERO credit for the receivers you return, so it makes zero sense to do that.

#12 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,127 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 16 October 2010 - 06:54 PM

Though, if you do the actual install with Solid Signal (they'll work with a local installer), you I believe, will need to put the full amount of the equipment cost on a credit card, and you get it credited back within the week after the activation. They ship the equipment directly to you, so they have to protect themselves.

#13 OFFLINE   gss1537

gss1537

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 07:12 PM

I got set up as new customer about 3 weeks ago with Solid Signal and they charge you up front to your credit card and then credit you back once your account shows up on a new customer report from DirecTV. They will work to try to find an installer in your area but I new a local guy who would do it.
Make sure to check with Solid Signal because you may have to pay shipping for the equipment.

#14 OFFLINE   eddieras

eddieras

Godfather

• Registered
  • 251 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 07:02 AM

I got set up as new customer about 3 weeks ago with Solid Signal and they charge you up front to your credit card and then credit you back once your account shows up on a new customer report from DirecTV. They will work to try to find an installer in your area but I new a local guy who would do it.
Make sure to check with Solid Signal because you may have to pay shipping for the equipment.

i just ordered yesterday from solidsignal. how long did it take for your rebate to appear online- not payment just the rebate info?? mine aren't listed yet, but it's only been a day. thanks!

#15 OFFLINE   Decolliber

Decolliber

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 01:33 PM

I ordered a new DVR from DTV a month ago, and received an HR21 instead of an HR24. I requested a "recovery kit", returned it to DTV (they pay shipping) and ordered a new HR24 from 6th Ave on Amazon (for $199).
The downside is that if the HR24 fails and I have to return it to DTV, I will probably get an HR21 replacement!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...