Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hr24 with audio video drop outs at random

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ibooksrule

ibooksrule

Godfather

• Registered
  • 435 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 09:44 PM

I know Others seem to have this issue but mine seems different.
Here is my issue.

I have 2 hr24 units one is not hooked to a tv but i have swapped out the receivers and put the bedroom one on the main tv. I have a swm module connected.
It seems to vary and it only comes or it seems to only come at random. Never seem to have drop outs on anything but locals. Such as right now im watching recorded law and order from local NBC station but i don't have ota hooked up so i assume that makes no difference. I have watched the whole show with only 1 audio drop out.
Just earlier i was watching another show with audio drop outs at least 10-15 times in the hour long show as well as 2-3 vi doe drop outs and video blocking.

It seems the audio is always there. As in i can rewind and the drop out in the same place. The video drop out however sometimes fixes itself on the rewind sometimes not.
I have swapped out the receives and put the bedroom downstairs and it does the same thing. I took off the hdmi for audio and audio is now running through an optical cable. Did not change anything.

Signal is good on all 3 satellites.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,081 posts
  • LocationA Galaxy Far, Far Away.....

Posted 15 October 2010 - 10:10 PM

I know Others seem to have this issue but mine seems different.
Here is my issue.

I have 2 hr24 units one is not hooked to a tv but i have swapped out the receivers and put the bedroom one on the main tv. I have a swm module connected.
It seems to vary and it only comes or it seems to only come at random. Never seem to have drop outs on anything but locals. Such as right now im watching recorded law and order from local NBC station but i don't have ota hooked up so i assume that makes no difference. I have watched the whole show with only 1 audio drop out.
Just earlier i was watching another show with audio drop outs at least 10-15 times in the hour long show as well as 2-3 vi doe drop outs and video blocking.

It seems the audio is always there. As in i can rewind and the drop out in the same place. The video drop out however sometimes fixes itself on the rewind sometimes not.
I have swapped out the receives and put the bedroom downstairs and it does the same thing. I took off the hdmi for audio and audio is now running through an optical cable. Did not change anything.

Signal is good on all 3 satellites.

This has been a long time problem with DirecTV themselves; not an issue with your specific receiver(s) as everyone is effected. Some report it more then others as it depends on the persons specefic viewing habits in terms locals.

This has also been reported as a problem for dish customers as well so don't feel as DirecTV is the only provider with these issues. Something to do with the uplink conversion----damn frustrating though to say the least.......

#3 OFFLINE   ibooksrule

ibooksrule

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 435 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 10:17 PM

This has been a long time problem with DirecTV themselves; not an issue with your specific receiver(s) as everyone is effected. Some report it more then others as it depends on the persons specefic viewing habits in terms locals.

This has also been reported as a problem for dish customers as well so don't feel as DirecTV is the only provider with these issues. Something to do with the uplink conversion----damn frustrating though to say the least.......

So there is nothing wrong with the receiver and nothing i can do to fix it then?

#4 OFFLINE   Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 10:19 PM

So there is nothing wrong with the receiver and nothing i can do to fix it then?

That's correct.

If you do a search on the site for local drop outs, you will find a plithera of posts regarding this ongoing issue....

#5 OFFLINE   AntonyB

AntonyB

Legend

• Registered
  • 110 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 02:17 PM

The OP says that when rewinding and replaying "The video drop out however sometimes fixes itself on the rewind sometimes not". If you don't see the same issue at the exact same spot when you play it back, then the problem was not with the broadcast signal. The problem is more likely to be with the DVR/hard drive.

The best test is to watch the program live while also recording it, then play it back and watch again. If you observe problems/dropouts on playback that were not present on the live viewing, it is not a problem with the signal being broadcast by D*TV.
HR20-700 DVR
R15 DVR
Sony SAT-A2 receiver

#6 OFFLINE   Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 03:10 PM

The OP says that when rewinding and replaying "The video drop out however sometimes fixes itself on the rewind sometimes not". If you don't see the same issue at the exact same spot when you play it back, then the problem was not with the broadcast signal. The problem is more likely to be with the DVR/hard drive.

The best test is to watch the program live while also recording it, then play it back and watch again. If you observe problems/dropouts on playback that were not present on the live viewing, it is not a problem with the signal being broadcast by D*TV.

The OP also says:
1.This only happens on local stations.
and
2. The audio drop outs are in the same place even if he rewinds and pays it back.

Thus it's not a hard drive issue as it would be intermitant and on any recording..........As stated it's the norm as we have all experienced for a while now---including you....:grin:

#7 OFFLINE   AntonyB

AntonyB

Legend

• Registered
  • 110 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 03:38 PM

Yup, I agree clearly some of his problems are on the recording, but apparently not all. I was just suggesting that the best way to isolate broadcast problems from DVR problems is to watch it live, and then playback the recording...painful, but pretty definitive. The OP may have a combination of two problems going on.

The problems I have posted about recently are with OTA locals only, and are not on the recording at all.
HR20-700 DVR
R15 DVR
Sony SAT-A2 receiver

#8 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,497 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 07:56 PM

A problem with locals over the sat can still be an OTA reception problem, as that is often the method used for DTV to acquire the signal in the first place. In larger markets, direct fiber is increasingly being used.

Of course that means there is nothing you can do other than complain; and it also means that it affects all locals viewers (over sat) in that market, as the path is the same for them.

In that situation, it helps to see if others are having the problem. There is certainly a "local reception" thread on AVS for that locality, and they discuss cable and sat for locals as well, so I suggest posting there to see if there are others with this problem. If so, you have more ammo when you complain to DTV.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

spam firewall