Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Upgrade old HR REceivers

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jimlenz

jimlenz

Legend

• Registered
  • 120 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 08:35 AM

I have 4 receivers in the house, 3 HR20-700 and 1 HR 22-100. For the TV's that I use the most, is it worth upgrading to the HR24? I understand I will probably have to buy them but would appreciate your thoughts. I am currently using ESATA 2TB drives with 2 units and the other two are standalone. I am not having any problems with the units at this time.

Thanks

Jim

Edited by jimlenz, 16 October 2010 - 08:42 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   rcayers

rcayers

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 08:44 AM

Like you, I have both of the models you mention and frankly, don't see enough difference between them to justify spending the money to purchase the HR24.

#3 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,395 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 08:46 AM

Hard to know what "the worth" would be for you.
The 24s are faster, but are yours that slow?
I have a 24 and still use 2 HR20-700s, but have retired my HR21.
Maybe get one and then decide if you want to spend the money for more.
A.K.A VOS

#4 OFFLINE   jimlenz

jimlenz

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 120 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 09:03 AM

Excellent feedback. My DVR's don't feel that slow but have not compared them to the HR24. The features are really not that different and the hard drive really doesnt matter. Not sure I would use the whole house dvr, so it may not be worth it.

Jim

#5 OFFLINE   Kodok

Kodok

AllStar

• Registered
  • 88 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 09:20 AM

I just did an upgrade from HR21-200s because of bad drives on HR21-200s. In my opinion, I love how responsive HR24-500s are to remote commands. But so far that's about it. All my HR24-500s still have some teething issues, like HDMI handshake (lost audio when turning on the receiver and need to cycle the channel), AM21 blank recordings, and broken Media Share. The HR21-200s were pretty solid for me.

Hopefully DirecTV addressed these issues quickly, esp the HDMI handshake issue and AM21 blank recordings.

#6 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,367 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 16 October 2010 - 09:22 AM

Excellent feedback. My DVR's don't feel that slow but have not compared them to the HR24. The features are really not that different and the hard drive really doesnt matter. Not sure I would use the whole house dvr, so it may not be worth it.

Jim

I've got a 24-500 and a 24-200 and eight 20-700s. There is not enough difference in the units to justify buying the new 24s. If there was I'd have bought at least three more to replace the three leased 20-700s that I have. Now if all you had were 21s, such as your 22-100, I could see buying a replacement. I'd replace that 22-100 in a heartbeat.

The 24s are a bit "perkier" than the 20-700s, but not enough to justify dumping the 20-700s.

Rich

#7 OFFLINE   dishrich

dishrich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 11:51 AM

I have 2 HR20-100's & I just can't justify it at this time for several reasons:
- I DO use the OTA tuners & if I were to get HR24's, I'd have to factor in the costs of new AM21's.
Also I would rather NOT have yet another box stacked in my rack if not needed.
- I don't care about 3D, (my models are NOT 3D compatable) nor do I plan on getting MRV, so that's a non-issue.
- The hard drives are VERY easy to replace on these models - both mine crashed, so I dropped in new 1TB WD AV drives & now have plenty of storage w/out the extra hassle of external drives.
- Now that I did this tip on the remotes, it did speed things up some
http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=184693

So as nice as the HR24's are, it's just not enough to push me to switch at this time...

#8 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,749 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 12:00 PM

ask youself if it is worth 199.00 each box + a new 2 yr commitment

#9 OFFLINE   rsblaski

rsblaski

Icon

• Registered
  • 801 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 12:03 PM

Jim

Just curious....You have eight available tuners and scads of storage, yet you don't want to bundle them up?
I have three HR2x around the house and on some weekends, I will record three and sometimes four programs running in the same time frame. With WHDVR I don't have to be in a certain room to watch a particular recording, all of them are available at any location I choose. (Hopefully, there will come a time when I can program any of them from any of the other dvrs.)
For the (fairly) reasonable cost of installation, I think WHDVR is a great feature. You may want to reconsider getting it.
Remember, when it comes to audio/video, more is always better. (This does NOT apply to remote controls!)

#10 OFFLINE   dishrich

dishrich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 01:11 PM

ask youself if it is worth 199.00 each box + a new 2 yr commitment

Oh yea, another reason amongst that line for not upgrading - right now, I am NOT very happy with how far behind D* has gotten on the HD prog front. We are STILL waiting on basic HD staples such as E!, HLN, DIY, Cooking, etc. that 2 of it's competitors in my area have NOW (DISH & U-verse) while Comcast is getting ready to roll out WOM in our area after the first of the year, that I'm sure will also have these (& more) as well

One of the primary reasons (for me anyway) to choose a video provider IS on the HD prog lineup - & while I like mostly everything else about D*, this ongoing lack of HD just ain't cutting it for me anymore! :mad: :mad: I do have lifetime DVR & am grandfathered on TC+, which makes the decision to dump D* that much harder for me.
Since I just now went out of contract with D*, I still want to keep my options open at this time, if they don't **** or get off the pot!

spam firewall