Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Uverse NIGHTMARE

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   doubleatheman

doubleatheman

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 11:20 PM

oh yeah when the uverse guy was at my house I bout watched him cut my directv coax line. I'm like STOOOOPPPPPP!!

"I guess my stressing on the phone 5 times that I'm keeping uverse meant nothing."

He chuckled... I just gave him an evil glare, he was pretty quiet after that.

Uverse, I am happy with its internet service. (14 months and counting) But I will be keeping my directv Television! (30 months and counting)
H21-200: 0x404A (soon to be HD DVR)
Vizio 32" tv Connected with HDMI
Sony HT-DDW790 Home theater Connected with Optical
5 lnb Slim Line dish
Choice xtra Pack with HD and DVR service
Zip: 94954 locals

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 ONLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,126 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 19 October 2010 - 08:57 AM

If DirecTV set up a Mover's Connection, then all is good for everyone.

But if you'd had a tech out in the last 90 days, for any reason, then most likely the CSR would try to set up the work order as a Repeat Service Call (which is for *warranty* work), which would mean the previous tech had to roll back for free and fix it for free. The customer deciding to switch to Uverse, and as a result having the previously-working DirecTV installation damaged is NOT covered by the warranty, and so if DirecTV wasn't willing to set up a Mover's Connection, then it would be up to the customer to pay the tech, because DirecTV won't, and there's no way you should expect the tech to pay for your decisions (to switch providers, to not be there for the installation, etc.).

IMO, the single most important thing for an installation is that the person who is MOST knowledgable and/or MOST sensitive to issues related to the install to BE HOME for the install, and to get involved with the installation. I don't mean run cable or drill holes; I mean ask questions, give your input, and keep a constant eye on the installer to make sure the installation plan is followed. And if it isn't, be ready to stop the installer and, if need be, ask him to leave.

Sat & cable techs make VERY little money, so turnover is high. The average tech has little training and relatively little experience, and as in any organization of 10,000 low-paid workers, you're going to have a certain percentage who simply don't know or don't care. Yes, those guys eventually get weeded out, but with such high turnover, more are always coming in.

So... it's important for someone who knows what's going on to be present. Assume, until proven otherwise, that your installer is fresh out of training, is probably overbooked and under pressure to hurry the job along, and will try to take shortcuts to get it done. I'm definitely not saying that all techs are this way, but you probably have a 1/3 chance of getting someone who is, to some extent. You have to look out for yourself and your home.

All of that is a bunch of words about stuff that is between you, the installer, and DirecTV. The customer shouldn't need or care about the economics of being an installer. DirecTV told the customer it'd be free, so it should be free. I'd still tell you to get the hell out of my house if you tried to charge me when DirecTV said it'd be free.

#23 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 09:08 AM

And I'd happily leave.

My point is: many companies will tell you that something is covered, assuming it is a warranty item, if you don't give them the whole story. Once they figure out that it was customer-caused, they're going to let you know that the warranty doesn't cover that damage. Then it's your decision to pay and have it fixed or not.

My buddy works at a car dealership as the service manager. Kids regularly bring in new cars that are still under "bumper to bumper" warranty. If the car is stock, it is usually fixed without issue, but if the owner, say, installed a NOS kit or something and then wants the engine or transmission fixed (broken 2nd gear is a common issue with these "racer" kids), the warranty doesn't apply.

No other industry would pay to fix something their competitor broke when their customer tried to go to the competitor. I don't understand why people assume that DirecTV or Dish Network should fix damage caused by a third party for free.

Commercial & Residential Satellite System Design & Installation
DirecTV, Dish Network & Free-To-Air

#24 OFFLINE   Manctech

Manctech

Icon

• Registered
  • 542 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 09:40 AM

I think this point is overlooked often times. Customer caused service calls are chargeable. If your dog chewed the line, you cut the buried line planting a tree, you run into the pole with your riding lawn mower, protection plan or not, that is chargeable.

The protection plan DOES NOT cover "Customer Caused" problems.

Switching to U-Verse, and then back to DTV does fall under "Customer Caused", however as a previous poster mentioned. The proper thing to do is set up a "Movers Connect" not a service call.

I had a "re-connect" where the CM switched to cable. Well the cable company used our second line for the DVR to hook up the internet. Also, the cable company cut our lines from the dish at the base of the house leaving them hanging from the roof.

I had to replace everything outside, as well as run a new line for the DVR because the CM was keeping the internet.

Often times "reconnects" are a lot of work and service calls do not pay a lot.

TWC Technician (Huntersville, Cornelius, Davidson Area)

#25 OFFLINE   CBMC

CBMC

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 03:09 PM

I have uverse. Customer service is OK, no worse than directv. Call up and they treat you like they know everything, even though 90% of the advise they give you is absolute rubbish. (both direct and Uverse) That being said, the picture quality on Directv is 100x better than Uverse (HD quality, Uverse has better SD quality). In my case, this is not a subjective thing, just a fact. Directv may compress their HD signal, but nowhere near what UVerse does. Watch sports on Uverse and the picture is absolutely miserable. Tons and tons of pixalations. Watchable, yes, desirable, definitely not. But I think that it is pretty well documented that Directv's picture quality is better than Uverse.

Edited by CBMC, 19 October 2010 - 03:09 PM.

#26 OFFLINE   gnahc79

gnahc79

Godfather

• Registered
  • 283 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 05:06 PM

Closed captioning on UVerse is pretty bad. It's very easy to read, but only because the text is fairly large and has a black background, seriously blocking out the picture. We watched 'House' on Uverse for a total of 3 minutes before the wife told me that the CC was really annoying. Switched over to DTV and the nicer, easy to read, and with no black background.
Video: Panasonic 42" th42ph9uk (2 component blades, 1 hdmi blade)
HR21-200 connected with blue jeans cable component cables & optical cable
Audio: Denon AVR-1602, Energy Connisseur speakers
Remote: Harmony One and an 880
MediaShare: TVersity

spam firewall