Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Montana PBS change... Now what do I do?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Backwoods Montana

Backwoods Montana

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 10:46 AM

OK, so I've been doing pretty good pulling in Montana PBS on AMC 21 along with Create and a couple other stations, but now Montana PBS has changed their broadcast :

montanapbs.org/AboutUs/News/Article/?ARTICLE_ID=38

Users of this service will now require a satellite receiver compatible with the "DVB-S2" standard.

I've been using a 36" GEOSATpro 90cm Satellite Dish with .4 LNBF and a CoolSat 6100 Private receiver.

A couple of questions for anyone who knows more about this than I do (which is pretty much everyone)

1) Will my current dish and LNBF still work?

2) I guess my Coolsat is almost useless now, so what would be my best choice for a new receiver?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

-Backwoods Montana

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   FTA Michael

FTA Michael

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 01:16 PM

Everything will work fine with a new receiver. I'd recommend the SatHawk (Sadoun) http://sadoun.com/Sa...te_Receiver.htm or the OpenBox S9 (FridgeFTA) http://store.fridgef...fo/?page_id=809. They're the same receiver with different name plates.
Yes, FTABlog is active again. Why do you ask?

#3 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 02:11 PM

Be careful with Montana PBS. It uses an extremely low SR, and my Pansat9200 with S2 board will find it, but even entering the parameters manually, will only display Scrambled or Bad channel.

You would be much better off using the PBS mux with your current receiver, unless you are in Montana and want the local programming. Otherwise, make sure the company you buy the receiver from can either test it beforehand to make sure it will work with that channel, or has a return policy you can live with.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#4 OFFLINE   FTA Michael

FTA Michael

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 02:12 PM

Davenlr might have something there. I thought that all was well because my SatHawk handles the other DVB-S2 feeds on that bird, but now that I check the new Montana PBS, I'm getting a very weak signal with a 90cm dish.

OTOH, the national feeds and the Oklahoma and Louisiana PBS feeds come in okay for me.
Yes, FTABlog is active again. Why do you ask?

#5 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 03:38 PM

Im getting a 95 signal, 88 quality, and cant get it. Lots of folks reporting they cant get it on AZbox, which is supposed to get everything. OTOH, people using computer based S2 boards are getting it ok. Very weird.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

Protected By... spam firewall...And...