Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Why Can't DirecTV Make a DVR that Will Record Sports?

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,634 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 16 October 2010 - 01:15 PM

Here we are, fourth game of the hockey season and already my HR21 is opting not to record hockey games. I get home last night to see no orange light for the Isles v. Pens game. I turn on the DVR, and after 30 sec of gray screen, the orange light comes on andthe game appears in the list. Today I try to watch and all I have is the "partial" recording from when I got home from work. I wish I could get a pro-rated NHLCI eefund from DirecTV for all the Islanders games I have missed since 2006 when they moved from TiVo to these crappy Random Video Recorders!

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI
HP Touchsmart IQ 846 (Windows 8) for DirecTV2PC and Media Share

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 01:19 PM

If you leave it on and not turn if off (standby) does it record normally? May just be a problem with standby with your unit. I never turned my DVRs off to standby and never had problems getting my Red Wings to record. When Tivo had all the problems with coming out of standby I learned a habit to just never do it, not worth it.

Sorry for the troubles.

#3 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,793 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 16 October 2010 - 01:19 PM

Ranting or want help?
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#4 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,909 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 16 October 2010 - 01:21 PM

I'm pretty sure islesfan has been around the block on this one a few times. If he says it's not working right, this it's probably not working right.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#5 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,634 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 16 October 2010 - 01:26 PM

A little bit of ranting here. I've tried everything over the years and I'm just a little sick of it.

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#6 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,903 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 16 October 2010 - 01:26 PM

Does the history for the recording request say something like program nolonger available? I've seen that when I try to record something on the ESPN3D channel, looks like they remove the program from the guide and then readd it but the box doesn't know it was readded, just deleted. I've ended up just going the manual record route for any programs on that channel.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#7 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,634 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 16 October 2010 - 01:32 PM

Does the history for the recording request say something like program nolonger available? I've seen that when I try to record something on the ESPN3D channel, looks like they remove the program from the guide and then readd it but the box doesn't know it was readded, just deleted. I've ended up just going the manual record route for any programs on that channel.

Yeah, unfortunately it said "partial recording" and now, of course, it says "deleted by user."

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#8 ONLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,235 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 16 October 2010 - 01:49 PM

Next time it happens look immediately in the History to see what it says about why it is not recording the game.

Also, how are you setting the recording for the game? Do you have an AutoRecord set or are you selecting the game manually from the Guide? As Rad mentioned, if they update the description or "remove" and "readd" the game to the Guide, your preset recording will not work then.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#9 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 16 October 2010 - 01:54 PM

I use the Manual Record when I record games on Center Ice channels. I haven't had a problem. I've done that because the schedule typically shows the games lasting 6 hours (i.e.7PM-1AM) and I don't want all the extra dead time.

But I've never tried it on my HR21 either, so I'll try that tonight.

#10 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,793 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 16 October 2010 - 01:56 PM

I'm pretty sure islesfan has been around the block on this one a few times. If he says it's not working right, this it's probably not working right.

I wasn't questioning if it didn't work. I was just curious if he needed more help or was ranting to feel better. A little rant can feel good. ;)

Advice: It's a pain, but every week sit down and set recordings for game nights. If on an alternate RSN, then set a manual timer. If on a RSN, then record the game plus the post game show.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#11 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,087 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 02:04 PM

My dad has the same problem with his HR21 and Sunday Ticket games. If he isnt home, it records a gray screen. I havent figured out how to fix it, so I just told him he would have to watch it live.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#12 OFFLINE   E91

E91

Godfather

• Registered
  • 341 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 04:18 PM

Here we are, fourth game of the hockey season and already my HR21 is opting not to record hockey games. I get home last night to see no orange light for the Isles v. Pens game. I turn on the DVR, and after 30 sec of gray screen, the orange light comes on andthe game appears in the list. Today I try to watch and all I have is the "partial" recording from when I got home from work. I wish I could get a pro-rated NHLCI eefund from DirecTV for all the Islanders games I have missed since 2006 when they moved from TiVo to these crappy Random Video Recorders!

I'm having a very similar problem with my HR24. I'm an Islanders fan myself (in fact, if not for the fact that DISH never showed the Isles in HD, I'd still be there now), with Center Ice. I used the "Smart Search" to set up an autorecord for "Islander - Sports (Hockey)." When I use it to search, it lists all the Islander games, but then I look in the to do list and they are not there.

So, I've had to manually search for the games every few games, and then go and check them off myself.

Its annoying but I had very similar issues last year with a VIP722 on Dish.

Interestingly, the season pass on my DirecTIVO boxes in the old days worked flawlessly. I told it to get all hockey games with the Isles, and it never failed even once.

#13 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 06:45 AM

Interestingly, the season pass on my DirecTIVO boxes in the old days worked flawlessly. I told it to get all hockey games with the Isles, and it never failed even once.

What's funny it's because my DirecTivo *wouldn't* properly record a Red Wings Wishlist I got into the habit of just running my Red Wings search every two week and selecting which games to record. This actually worked for me because 1) I could select which feed to record and 2) It reminded me of the upcoming schedule so I knew when games were on.

So I did the same habit when I got my first HR20 and found it was even better because with one touch record I could run that search and record all the games in less then a minute or two, if that.

Now, when the HR2x got boolean search terms I was able to create an autorecord search that did pick up all the games and I never had any trouble with it not recording the games. I had an HR21 on autorecord search and I still did the old way on an HR20 for a whole season. The ARsearch never missed a game so I then trusted it in future seasons.

Note, autorecords don't all show up in the ToDo list beyond a day or two. Key here is that Fox Sports Detroit has good and consistent guide data that they never changed and that is a HUGE thing. Many of these RSNs might put in "generic" guide data that changes to more specific a couple days before the game. This can really kill an autorecord search and you get the "canceled and readded" thing as someone mentioned above.

But my old trusty way of running the search and one touch record all games once every couple weeks never fails and only took me less then 5 minutes every two weeks. If an autorecord isn't working for you for whatever reason (bad guide data, bad HR2x, whatever) then to me I'd spend the whole 5 minutes a week or two and be sure to get every game and have no stress in your life in terms of missing games. Seems worth it to me. I don't care if it's *supposed* to work...5 minutes seems very little time to gain happiness. I don't know why more people don't do this. :)

#14 OFFLINE   E91

E91

Godfather

• Registered
  • 341 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 10:49 AM

What's funny it's because my DirecTivo *wouldn't* properly record a Red Wings Wishlist I got into the habit of just running my Red Wings search every two week and selecting which games to record. This actually worked for me because 1) I could select which feed to record and 2) It reminded me of the upcoming schedule so I knew when games were on.

So I did the same habit when I got my first HR20 and found it was even better because with one touch record I could run that search and record all the games in less then a minute or two, if that.

Now, when the HR2x got boolean search terms I was able to create an autorecord search that did pick up all the games and I never had any trouble with it not recording the games. I had an HR21 on autorecord search and I still did the old way on an HR20 for a whole season. The ARsearch never missed a game so I then trusted it in future seasons.

Note, autorecords don't all show up in the ToDo list beyond a day or two. Key here is that Fox Sports Detroit has good and consistent guide data that they never changed and that is a HUGE thing. Many of these RSNs might put in "generic" guide data that changes to more specific a couple days before the game. This can really kill an autorecord search and you get the "canceled and readded" thing as someone mentioned above.

But my old trusty way of running the search and one touch record all games once every couple weeks never fails and only took me less then 5 minutes every two weeks. If an autorecord isn't working for you for whatever reason (bad guide data, bad HR2x, whatever) then to me I'd spend the whole 5 minutes a week or two and be sure to get every game and have no stress in your life in terms of missing games. Seems worth it to me. I don't care if it's *supposed* to work...5 minutes seems very little time to gain happiness. I don't know why more people don't do this. :)

The fact that there is a workaround doesn't mean that posters here should be pointing out and chatting about obvious programming flaws. And, there is absolutely no reason DirecTV can't implement this feature in a proper way. As I said, my DirecTIVO box, could do this FIVE YEARS ago. Five years is a long time in the world of electronics.

#15 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,233 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 17 October 2010 - 11:18 AM

I recorded 2 games last night on my HR21 (I normally watch hockey in another room with a HR20). Both games recorded fine without any problems. I recorded one from the guide and one using Manual Record.

#16 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,671 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 02:35 PM

How do you set up the recordings for the games?

#17 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,030 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 03:14 PM

Can you illustrate exactly how you are doing this?

Does it happen on every DVR in your home? What model? What channel? NHL CI or via a RSN?

Etc, etc. Has it always been on the same DVR you are having this issue with?
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#18 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 03:41 PM

The fact that there is a workaround doesn't mean that posters here should be pointing out and chatting about obvious programming flaws.

Wasn't saying he shouldn't post about the problem he is having. I'm just saying there is a bonafide way to get them to record if he wanted to go that route which *I* had to use on my Tivo's...unlike you who seemed to have a perfect one. I had several and they weren't. Like I said, I came up with my workaround because the Tivo wouldn't record the games properly. So we all have different experiences.

To me I think it's probably guide data issues. But maybe since Satracer saw this perhaps some engineer can look at it. I know he's had this issue for a couple years now.

#19 OFFLINE   E91

E91

Godfather

• Registered
  • 341 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 08:40 PM

Wasn't saying he shouldn't post about the problem he is having. I'm just saying there is a bonafide way to get them to record if he wanted to go that route which *I* had to use on my Tivo's...unlike you who seemed to have a perfect one. I had several and they weren't. Like I said, I came up with my workaround because the Tivo wouldn't record the games properly. So we all have different experiences.

To me I think it's probably guide data issues. But maybe since Satracer saw this perhaps some engineer can look at it. I know he's had this issue for a couple years now.

Were you using a DirecTIVO box (not a TIVO standalone unit)? I have no idea how the guide data differs, but my DirecTIVO box was absolutely flawless in picking up Islander games. In the three or four years that I had it, I don't think it missed a single game.

In fact, the only problem I had was that it kept recording "classic" games that I really wasn't all that interested in.

#20 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 10:10 PM

Were you using a DirecTIVO box (not a TIVO standalone unit)? I have no idea how the guide data differs, but my DirecTIVO box was absolutely flawless in picking up Islander games. In the three or four years that I had it, I don't think it missed a single game.

In fact, the only problem I had was that it kept recording "classic" games that I really wasn't all that interested in.

5 different DirecTivo's dating from 2001 thru 2007. None would ever record a sports wishlist correctly. It was a common complaint on the Tivo forums. Obviously doesn't mean everyone had the problem.

Thus why I and many others went with the "run search every 10 days and record games from results" method which was fool proof. This method was ever better on the HR2x's due to one touch record.
However when the HR2x introduced the boolean search terms the autorecord search for sports finally did something it never did on any DirecTivo of mine...it worked.

Perhaps the guide data the Islanders provide isn't liked by the HR2x. Most likely generic first, then more details. I don't know. The common theme here with both of you is the Islanders and not able to get all the games to record on the HR2x. If you both provide exact details to Satracer they may be able to get to the bottom of it.

spam firewall