Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Why Can't DirecTV Make a DVR that Will Record Sports?

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   prospero63

prospero63

Godfather

• Registered
  • 330 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 01:43 PM

I'm wondering if this is a bigger issue, potentially with the software. I've noticed that in the last two days recordings during the day haven't occurred. When I just checked, sure enough nothing is recording (no orange light). Turn the DVR and TV on and bloop, up pops the orange light and the recording starts. It's acting like it's not coming out of standby for recordings...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 01:44 PM

That is why I tell everyone Not to put their DVR into Standby.

What do you accomplish by doing so???
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#43 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Registered
  • 933 posts
  • Locationcolorado, in the mountains.....

Posted 20 October 2010 - 01:47 PM

Mine is in Standby unless I am using it and it has never missed a recording in 5 years. So Standby or not, it might be something else.

#44 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 01:48 PM

No kidding.

I used to always ask "don't put it in standby and see if the problem goes away" but a lot people were always stubborn that wouldn't even try it. Not accusing anyone of that here in this thread but to me it's logical to think that if the problem occurs when using standby to test it by not using standby and see if things record fine. If they do, then don't use standby because as you say, it's does nothing. I guess some people feel better by pushing the power button and thinking they are actually doing something...or something. ;)

#45 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 01:50 PM

Mine is in Standby unless I am using it and it has never missed a recording in 5 years. So Standby or not, it might be something else.

Many people don't have issues using Standby. Many do but don't like to admit it. These same issues littered the Tivo forums back in the day. Some people had problems with standby, other didn't.

To those that do, it's like going to the doctor and saying "when I do this it hurts" to which the doc says "then don't do that". :rolleyes:

#46 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 01:51 PM

Why do you feel the need to put it in Standby?

To save a very little bit of electricity?

The drive is still spinning so the only thing you accomplish is turning off the LED Lights which use very little energy and you deactivate the outputs which saves you nothing so why do it???
Here's My Setup

#47 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 01:52 PM

To those that do, it's like going to the doctor and saying "when I do this it hurts" to which the doc says "then don't do that". :rolleyes:

EXACTLY!!!

I would just like to know why they feel a need to do it.
Here's My Setup

#48 OFFLINE   prospero63

prospero63

Godfather

• Registered
  • 330 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 02:00 PM

Well, maybe I'm using the wrong term. When I hit the power buttom, the DVR and TV either power on or power off accordingly. That's just the way it's always been.

#49 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 02:03 PM

Well, you must have your remote coded that way because when my Harmony 1000 or Harmony 1 turns off the TV and the Denon Amp it leaves the Directv DVR alone.

If I want to turn it off which I would never do unless the lights are bothering me then I use the Directv Remote.
Here's My Setup

#50 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Registered
  • 933 posts
  • Locationcolorado, in the mountains.....

Posted 20 October 2010 - 02:05 PM

Can the standard remote be programmed to not turn of the DVR when pressing OFF? Sorry if its been answered before.

#51 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,434 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 02:10 PM

Why do you feel the need to put it in Standby?

To save a very little bit of electricity?

That's one reason, especially for those of us who have 5-6 boxes.

The drive is still spinning so the only thing you accomplish is turning off the LED Lights which use very little energy and you deactivate the outputs which saves you nothing so why do it???

Not entirely true. The DVR performs its background "housekeeping" functions more quickly when it's in standby. Things like indexing new guide data and unpacking and sorting cast & crew photos and show thumbnails.

Not to mention the fact that the unit was designed to enter standby when you press OFF on the DirecTV remote. As you know, doing so not only powers off the TV, but the DVR as well. If DirecTV thought it would be better to leave the unit on, they wouldn't have hard-coded the remote to work that way. Instead, they would have programmed the remotes so OFF only turned off our TV's, and forced us to use the remote PWR button to initiate standby. But they didn't do that. Just my .02.

Edited by Steve, 20 October 2010 - 02:13 PM.

/steve

#52 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 02:14 PM

Well, I leave all of my 7 DVRs on and I have Never had a problem with Recording anything other than a Conflict which I should have checked for and now I do.

Maybe I am just lucky but all of my DVRs are on APC Battery Backup Units and perform Flawlessly and I Never put them into Standby unless the Lights are bothering me and normally I place a towel over the front and leave it on.

I can't believe that the Housekeeping Functions are that much Faster because the LED Lights are off and the Outputs are Disabled so putting it in Standby Mode must disable alot of other functions that Directv isn't telling us about.

With 6 DVRs running in Standby I might save $.50 a day according to someone here who did a study about placing it in Standby Mode so I decided to leave mine up and running ready to go.

Edited by Richierich, 20 October 2010 - 02:19 PM.

Here's My Setup

#53 OFFLINE   prospero63

prospero63

Godfather

• Registered
  • 330 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 02:37 PM

Yeah, I don't have a harmony anything. It's the directv remote as AFAIK it's the way it works. Feel free to ship me one of your harmony remotes and I'll be sure to not turn the DVR off anymore. :lol:

#54 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 02:39 PM

Do you have a TV Remote???

Just use that to Turn Off the TV!!!

Very Simple!!!
Here's My Setup

#55 OFFLINE   prospero63

prospero63

Godfather

• Registered
  • 330 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 02:40 PM

Do you have a TV Remote???

Just use that to Turn Off the TV!!!

Very Simple!!!

Defeats the purpose of having one remote. I'm sure there's a TV remote in a drawer somewhere.

#56 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,434 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 02:42 PM

Well, I leave all of my 7 DVRs on and I have Never had a problem with Recording anything other than a Conflict which I should have checked for and now I do [...]

In the 9+ years I've been with DirecTV, I've always put my SAT T60's, HDVR2's, HR10-250's, and HR2x's in stand-by, so if there was a correlation between missed recordings and standby, I think I would have noticed it by now. :) Because we're always recording TNT, USA and TBS re-runs of crime shows, I've probably made (but not watched :)) 5-6 recordings a day per DVR for over 9 years, so well over 65,000 recordings for 4 DVR's, the vast majority of them while the box is in standby.

Put simply, the HR2x's are designed to record just fine when in standby. IMHO, what prospero experienced is definitely a bug that should be reported in the appropriate issues thread.

Or if no one else is seeing similar behavior, it's possible he simply needs a replacement DVR. Just my .02.

Edited by Steve, 20 October 2010 - 02:48 PM.

/steve

#57 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 02:43 PM

Defeats the purpose of having one remote. I'm sure there's a TV remote in a drawer somewhere.

Yes it does but if that solves your problem then so be it.

I Turn Off my TV when I leave so the dogs can listen to the TV without me using electricity because the TV is on but they can still listen to it thru the Denon Amp and it calms them down.
Here's My Setup

#58 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,465 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 02:45 PM

The HR2x's are designed to record just fine when in standby. IMHO, what prospero experienced is definitely a bug that should be reported in the appropriate issues thread.

Or if no one else is seeing similar behavior, it's possible he needs a replacement DVR. Just my .02.

I agree but it would be nice to isolate and pinpoint the problem so he could also report the solution so they could understand that it is related (or not) to the Standby Mode.
Here's My Setup

#59 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,434 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 03:16 PM

Can the standard remote be programmed to not turn of the DVR when pressing OFF?

No, and that's because, as I mentioned above, the HR's are designed to operate correctly when in standby.

Besides faster downloading and unpacking and indexing of GUIDE data and images, there's at least one other good reason not to advise some folks to leave their HR's on all the time.

If they like on-demand movies and have limited internet access or metered bandwidth from their ISP's, keeping the boxes in standby allows DirecTV to satellite download and keep fresh a selection of popular movies, on the "reserved" partition on our hard drives. These movies are immediately accessible for viewing as part of DirecTV Cinema. I'm not saying this won't happen if the unit is on, but probably not until some period of "inactivity" is sensed. I'm guessing that would be about 2 hours, like the DoublePlay automatic timeout.

Edited by Steve, 20 October 2010 - 03:17 PM.

/steve

#60 OFFLINE   Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 502 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 03:31 PM

So as I understand it, the problem is:

...I've noticed that in the last two days recordings during the day haven't occurred. When I just checked, sure enough nothing is recording (no orange light). Turn the DVR and TV on and bloop, up pops the orange light and the recording starts. It's acting like it's not coming out of standby for recordings...

The "fix" for this is to get DirecTV to analyze the problem, code a fix for it, and download it with the next update. Knowing how likely that is to happen soon, the workaround is:

That is why I tell everyone NOT to put their DVR into Standby...

There are some here who strongly object to using this workaround. If you don't have this problem, don't worry about it, use standby all you want. If you DO have this problem and don't use this workaround, you can expect to lose recordings. This is a value decision on your part: If using standby is more important than actually recording your programs, that's your decision. Yes, it would be preferable to have the HR's software fixed so the problem disappears, but until that happens, the decision is yours.

Clearly not everyone has this problem. In fact, it seems to be pretty rare. Programming glitches of this type are hard to find, and expensive to fix because they involve a lot of man-hours to track down. Since there appears to be a perfectly good workaround for the issue, how likely do you think DirecTV is to spend the money to deal with this? The have much bigger issues on the table.
Luke

Sagaciously eschew obfuscating sesquipedalianisms.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.--from Joan of Arcadia

spam firewall