Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Why Can't DirecTV Make a DVR that Will Record Sports?

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,725 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 02:10 PM

Why do you feel the need to put it in Standby?

To save a very little bit of electricity?

That's one reason, especially for those of us who have 5-6 boxes.

The drive is still spinning so the only thing you accomplish is turning off the LED Lights which use very little energy and you deactivate the outputs which saves you nothing so why do it???

Not entirely true. The DVR performs its background "housekeeping" functions more quickly when it's in standby. Things like indexing new guide data and unpacking and sorting cast & crew photos and show thumbnails.

Not to mention the fact that the unit was designed to enter standby when you press OFF on the DirecTV remote. As you know, doing so not only powers off the TV, but the DVR as well. If DirecTV thought it would be better to leave the unit on, they wouldn't have hard-coded the remote to work that way. Instead, they would have programmed the remotes so OFF only turned off our TV's, and forced us to use the remote PWR button to initiate standby. But they didn't do that. Just my .02.

Edited by Steve, 20 October 2010 - 02:13 PM.

/steve

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,486 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 02:14 PM

Well, I leave all of my 7 DVRs on and I have Never had a problem with Recording anything other than a Conflict which I should have checked for and now I do.

Maybe I am just lucky but all of my DVRs are on APC Battery Backup Units and perform Flawlessly and I Never put them into Standby unless the Lights are bothering me and normally I place a towel over the front and leave it on.

I can't believe that the Housekeeping Functions are that much Faster because the LED Lights are off and the Outputs are Disabled so putting it in Standby Mode must disable alot of other functions that Directv isn't telling us about.

With 6 DVRs running in Standby I might save $.50 a day according to someone here who did a study about placing it in Standby Mode so I decided to leave mine up and running ready to go.

Edited by Richierich, 20 October 2010 - 02:19 PM.

DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#53 OFFLINE   prospero63

prospero63

Godfather

• Registered
  • 330 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 02:37 PM

Yeah, I don't have a harmony anything. It's the directv remote as AFAIK it's the way it works. Feel free to ship me one of your harmony remotes and I'll be sure to not turn the DVR off anymore. :lol:

#54 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,486 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 02:39 PM

Do you have a TV Remote???

Just use that to Turn Off the TV!!!

Very Simple!!!
Here's My Setup

#55 OFFLINE   prospero63

prospero63

Godfather

• Registered
  • 330 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 02:40 PM

Do you have a TV Remote???

Just use that to Turn Off the TV!!!

Very Simple!!!

Defeats the purpose of having one remote. I'm sure there's a TV remote in a drawer somewhere.

#56 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,725 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 02:42 PM

Well, I leave all of my 7 DVRs on and I have Never had a problem with Recording anything other than a Conflict which I should have checked for and now I do [...]

In the 9+ years I've been with DirecTV, I've always put my SAT T60's, HDVR2's, HR10-250's, and HR2x's in stand-by, so if there was a correlation between missed recordings and standby, I think I would have noticed it by now. :) Because we're always recording TNT, USA and TBS re-runs of crime shows, I've probably made (but not watched :)) 5-6 recordings a day per DVR for over 9 years, so well over 65,000 recordings for 4 DVR's, the vast majority of them while the box is in standby.

Put simply, the HR2x's are designed to record just fine when in standby. IMHO, what prospero experienced is definitely a bug that should be reported in the appropriate issues thread.

Or if no one else is seeing similar behavior, it's possible he simply needs a replacement DVR. Just my .02.

Edited by Steve, 20 October 2010 - 02:48 PM.

/steve

#57 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,486 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 02:43 PM

Defeats the purpose of having one remote. I'm sure there's a TV remote in a drawer somewhere.

Yes it does but if that solves your problem then so be it.

I Turn Off my TV when I leave so the dogs can listen to the TV without me using electricity because the TV is on but they can still listen to it thru the Denon Amp and it calms them down.
Here's My Setup

#58 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,486 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 02:45 PM

The HR2x's are designed to record just fine when in standby. IMHO, what prospero experienced is definitely a bug that should be reported in the appropriate issues thread.

Or if no one else is seeing similar behavior, it's possible he needs a replacement DVR. Just my .02.

I agree but it would be nice to isolate and pinpoint the problem so he could also report the solution so they could understand that it is related (or not) to the Standby Mode.
Here's My Setup

#59 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,725 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 03:16 PM

Can the standard remote be programmed to not turn of the DVR when pressing OFF?

No, and that's because, as I mentioned above, the HR's are designed to operate correctly when in standby.

Besides faster downloading and unpacking and indexing of GUIDE data and images, there's at least one other good reason not to advise some folks to leave their HR's on all the time.

If they like on-demand movies and have limited internet access or metered bandwidth from their ISP's, keeping the boxes in standby allows DirecTV to satellite download and keep fresh a selection of popular movies, on the "reserved" partition on our hard drives. These movies are immediately accessible for viewing as part of DirecTV Cinema. I'm not saying this won't happen if the unit is on, but probably not until some period of "inactivity" is sensed. I'm guessing that would be about 2 hours, like the DoublePlay automatic timeout.

Edited by Steve, 20 October 2010 - 03:17 PM.

/steve

#60 OFFLINE   Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 513 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 03:31 PM

So as I understand it, the problem is:

...I've noticed that in the last two days recordings during the day haven't occurred. When I just checked, sure enough nothing is recording (no orange light). Turn the DVR and TV on and bloop, up pops the orange light and the recording starts. It's acting like it's not coming out of standby for recordings...

The "fix" for this is to get DirecTV to analyze the problem, code a fix for it, and download it with the next update. Knowing how likely that is to happen soon, the workaround is:

That is why I tell everyone NOT to put their DVR into Standby...

There are some here who strongly object to using this workaround. If you don't have this problem, don't worry about it, use standby all you want. If you DO have this problem and don't use this workaround, you can expect to lose recordings. This is a value decision on your part: If using standby is more important than actually recording your programs, that's your decision. Yes, it would be preferable to have the HR's software fixed so the problem disappears, but until that happens, the decision is yours.

Clearly not everyone has this problem. In fact, it seems to be pretty rare. Programming glitches of this type are hard to find, and expensive to fix because they involve a lot of man-hours to track down. Since there appears to be a perfectly good workaround for the issue, how likely do you think DirecTV is to spend the money to deal with this? The have much bigger issues on the table.
Luke

Sagaciously eschew obfuscating sesquipedalianisms.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.--from Joan of Arcadia

#61 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,342 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 03:47 PM

No, and that's because, as I mentioned above, the HR's are designed to operate correctly when in standby.

Besides faster downloading and unpacking and indexing of GUIDE data and images, there's at least one other good reason not to advise some folks to leave their HR's on all the time.

If they like on-demand movies and have limited INTERNET access or metered bandwidth from their ISP's, keeping the boxes in standby allows DirecTV to satellite download and keep fresh a selection of popular movies, on the "reserved" partition on our hard drives. These movies are immediately accessible for viewing as part of DirecTV Cinema. I'm not saying this won't happen if the unit is on, but probably not until some period of "inactivity" is sensed. I'm guessing that would be about 2 hours, like the DoublePlay automatic timeout.

Good explanation Steve.

P.S....I have yet to see one Sports event in 4 1/2 years (hundreds of them) ever NOT record correctly here as planned on my multiple HD DVRs...
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#62 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,486 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 03:47 PM

It may be that he just needs another download of the software as it is corrupted or his DVR needs to be Replaced but I am just trying to say ISOLATE THE PROBLEM by determining if NOT placing it in Standby corrects the Problem.

Now you have ISOLATED THE PROBLEM which will HELP DIRECTV solve the problem.

I am not advocating everyone never putting their DVR into Standby Mode but I never do it and I don't have this problem but neither do others so it must be something related to his environmental package that is causing this.
Here's My Setup

#63 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,725 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 05:30 PM

P.S....I have yet to see one Sports event in 4 1/2 years (hundreds of them) ever NOT record correctly here as planned on my multiple HD DVRs...

Bully for you, but that's not helpful to this thread at all. Unlike others who say they have no issues, you've provided no guidance on how Islesfan can solve his particular problem.

A simple forum search will show he has been reporting issues recording Islander games on an HR2x since late 2006. I've followed his posts each season for three years as the HR2x failed to record games that, up until last year, his DirecTiVo had no issues recording, IIRC.

In spite of his numerous issues posts over the years, the problem appears to still be unresolved. If DirecTV "owes" anyone here comp'd programming, I'd vote for Islesfan. Just my .02.

Edited by Steve, 20 October 2010 - 05:44 PM.

/steve

#64 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,342 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 05:44 PM

Bully for you, but that's not helpful to this thread at all. Unlike others who say they have no issues, you provide no guidance on how Islesfan can solve his problem.

But then...your previous statement about "standby or no standby" and it's speed difference is totally irrelevant to the original post as to what Islsfan is experiencing. :rolleyes:

Pot meet kettle...move on please...

My suggestion is that based on the information provided by the OP...the problem appears isolated to his specific unit, and he should consider getting it replaced.

#65 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,725 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 06:00 PM

But then...your previous statement about "standby or no standby" and it's speed difference is totally irrelevant to the original post as to what Islsfan is experiencing. :rolleyes:

That certainly wasn't post padding... just a response to what I felt was bad advice being posted in this thread.

If you took the time to read the thread through, it was suggested that not putting the unit in standby might solve a "missed recording" issue. That led to a relevant side discussion on the pros and cons. I jumped in because I thought that advice that might do more harm than good, and took the time to explain why I think the HR's should be put in standby [...]

Pot meet kettle...move on please...

[...] so please don't lecture me about gratuitous posting.

My suggestion is that based on the information provided by the OP...the problem appears isolated to his specific unit, and he should consider getting it replaced.

Had you posted that originally, at least it would have been an attempt on your part to helpful. That said, Islesfan's had this problem on different model HR2x's. And E91, also an Islanders fan, is having a related issue.

My apologies to all for partially veering off-topic.

Edited by Steve, 20 October 2010 - 06:03 PM.

/steve

#66 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,342 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 06:14 PM

I've followed his posts each season for three years as the HR2x failed to record games that, up until last year, his DirecTiVo had no issues recording, IIRC.

OK....sure......right....

If you took the time to read the thread through....Had you posted that originally, at least it would have been an attempt on your part to helpful.

Your opinion...the thread was read...good grief....stop making this personal...

As for Islesfan....yes...recordings are important, and he should have a good recording and viewing experience like anyone else.

Fact is I've had 2 HR20-700's, several HR21's, an HR23, and HR24's....not seeing those issues with any of those devices IS important, as for comparisons...it would seem to substantiate the problem is isolated to his location. Others have concurred NOT seeing those symptoms either -- its relevant...whether you agree or don't.

Enough said....apology accepted.

#67 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 06:22 PM

I leave mine unplugged most of the time and never miss anything. pure friggin magik..
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

#68 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,342 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 06:43 PM

I leave mine unplugged most of the time and never miss anything. pure friggin magik..

!rolling

I suspect that's won't work in the case of the OP to resolve his symptoms though...

Edited by hdtvfan0001, 20 October 2010 - 06:43 PM.

#69 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 08:56 PM

Look, my suggestion was this: We have two (maybe 3 or 4?) reports in this thread of missing recordings and the common statement in all/most of them was that the unit was in standby.

Thus the troubleshooter in me says....hmmmm, we have a trend here. So to eliminate that standby *isn't* a problem *DON'T* put the DVR in standby for say 2 weeks or a month and see if the recording problem goes away.

If it does then we know the problem is probably with the unit not recording properly when in standby. By which you can then create a bug report and upload your bug logs to DirecTV and post that here. DirecTV may be able to find something finally. IN the meantime just don't turn the DVR off/standby so you don't have recording problems. Simple.

If the problem still persists then the unit in standby is a red herring and it's something else so then let's now look to see if these people have something else in common.

Just common troubleshooting. But if people want to insist the problem isn't standby despite the fact they have the recording problem when in standby...well, then I guess nobody can help you.

Now the Islanders is a common theme with a couple people. Could even be something crazy like the certain channel the Islanders games are on have a recording issue when the unit is in standby due to some weird guide data or something. Now wouldn't this be a great coloration to make and something very specific Satracer could take back to the engineers? But we can't make that leap if nobody is willing to try not putting their units in standby for a couple/three weeks.

Good luck all. Since I no longer even have DirecTV I should really just step aside and let you all work it out. Sorry I butted in.

Edited by bonscott87, 20 October 2010 - 08:57 PM.

#70 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,725 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 09:08 PM

OK....sure......right....

As you can see from reading this thread, I'm not the only one remembers Islesfan's past difficulties recording Islander games, mainly due to the fact that in the past, it concerned the ability to successfully use Boolean AUTORECORDS, a largely undocumented feature that a few of us have tried to help others use more effectively in the past.

I'm pretty sure islesfan has been around the block on this one a few times. If he says it's not working right, this it's probably not working right.

Enough said....apology accepted.

:scratchin You seriously think you were included in that? You were the cause of it! :lol:

Edited by Steve, 20 October 2010 - 09:09 PM.

/steve

#71 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,725 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 09:34 PM

It may be that he just needs another download of the software as it is corrupted or his DVR needs to be Replaced but I am just trying to say ISOLATE THE PROBLEM by determining if NOT placing it in Standby corrects the Problem.

Now you have ISOLATED THE PROBLEM which will HELP DIRECTV solve the problem.

[...] If the problem still persists then the unit in standby is a red herring and it's something else so then let's now look to see if these people have something else in common [...]

To be clear, I'm not saying folks shouldn't try to debug their recording issues by temporarily keeping their HR "on" all the time. Sure, if prospero (and others) can document the HR in question records when "on", and doesn't record when in "standby", then he should absolutely report that issue both here, in the appropriate thread for that s/w release. And to a CSR, in case it's just a flaky unit.

I was reacting to what I perceived to be suggestions that, in general, there was no downside to keeping the units "on" all the time. To that, I respectfully disagree, for the reasons I mentioned above.

Edited by Steve, 20 October 2010 - 09:40 PM.

/steve

#72 OFFLINE   Mark L

Mark L

Godfather

• Registered
  • 282 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 02:27 AM

Here we are, fourth game of the hockey season and already my HR21 is opting not to record hockey games. I get home last night to see no orange light for the Isles v. Pens game. I turn on the DVR, and after 30 sec of gray screen, the orange light comes on andthe game appears in the list. Today I try to watch and all I have is the "partial" recording from when I got home from work. I wish I could get a pro-rated NHLCI eefund from DirecTV for all the Islanders games I have missed since 2006 when they moved from TiVo to these crappy Random Video Recorders!

Get rid of that piece of crap HR21

I just got rid of mine and got it replaced with an HR24-500, I had to work for that to happen

But let me tell you, it's been heaven! It is 100x the box the HR21 series is. Food tastes better, the air smells clean, life is good :D

DirecTV customer since October 2002, 5 LNB Slimline Dish, SWiM 16, Premiere package, HD package

9 receivers: (2) HR20-700s *1 Owned, (1) HR24-500 *Owned, (1) HR24-200, (1) HR24-100 (1) HR22-100, (1) HR23-700, (1) H21-700, (1) H24-100

#73 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,342 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 06:19 AM

You seriously think you were included in that? You were the cause of it! :lol:

Yankees Fans... :rolleyes::D

Get rid of that piece of crap HR21

I just got rid of mine and got it replaced with an HR24-500, I had to work for that to happen

But let me tell you, it's been heaven! It is 100x the box the HR21 series is. Food tastes better, the air smells clean, life is good :D

That's a bit more dramatic...but was kinda my same point. ;)

#74 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,486 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 04:20 PM

That certainly wasn't post padding... just a response to what I felt was bad advice being posted in this thread.

I did not Post Bad Advice as most Users will probably leave their DVRs on as they do not know better and still they will perform as intended.

Directv has Never stated that I or anyone else should Turn Off their DVR after using it as in going to sleep.

However, I am trying to help this poster out by recommending that he keep it out of Standby Mode until Directv can Resolve his problem.

Edited by Richierich, 21 October 2010 - 04:22 PM.

Here's My Setup

#75 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,725 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 05:43 PM

[...] Directv has Never stated that I or anyone else should Turn Off their DVR after using it as in going to sleep.

I haven't heard it explicitly from DirecTV, but second-hand through the mods, who have hinted that the units perform background tasks more efficiently when in stand-by.

And as I mentioned before, the supplied DirecTV remotes are designed to power off the HR's at the same time you power off your TV's. I could be wrong, but I believe they are programmed that way to encourage folks to use standby.

However, I am trying to help this poster out by recommending that he keep it out of Standby Mode until Directv can Resolve his problem.

I have no doubt you're trying to help and I agree that it might be a helpful diagnostic step.

I'm just not crazy about it as a long-term solution, because I think the older, slower boxes especially need all the help they can get to achieve peak performance, so anything that speeds-up housekeeping functions is a good thing, IMHO.
/steve

Protected By... spam firewall...And...