Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Diagnosing one problem, easy, but three? Oy..

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   doctrsnoop

doctrsnoop

Godfather

• Registered
  • 466 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 11:42 AM

Just venting. Just came out of a three day diagnostic nightmare that began after I replaced two 8way splitters with two 4 way splitters.

Two of my DVR's immediately began to act up, one with 771A problems, one with stuttering/ can't get satellite info on startup problems.

Obviously went back to the 8 ways first. Nope, no dice. Oh boy, did I fry something changing it? After about a billion combinations, cable tracing, re-terminating coax ends, found out one DVR simply went bad (still possibly related to changing splitters), and one coax went bad at the same time.

5 - HR22-100 4 via regular ethernet, 1 via DECA, 2 HR21-700 networked via regular ethernet, HR21-100 networked via DECA, H25-500
R15-500 Inactive, H20-600 (ECO 2.0) inactive,D11 (Humax LD2060) inactive
Slimline 5 w/ SWM8 parallel w/ SWM16 w/DECA

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,640 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 11:56 AM

Just venting. Just came out of a three day diagnostic nightmare that began after I replaced two 8way splitters with two 4 way splitters.

Two of my DVR's immediately began to act up, one with 771A problems, one with stuttering/ can't get satellite info on startup problems.

Obviously went back to the 8 ways first. Nope, no dice. Oh boy, did I fry something changing it? After about a billion combinations, cable tracing, re-terminating coax ends, found out one DVR simply went bad (still possibly related to changing splitters), and one coax went bad at the same time.

While I too have torn my hair out with things like this, the idea that changing a splitter could cause a DVR to fail is almost impossible, short of sending the SWiM PI voltage into the receiver's SAT input.
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 04:57 PM

Something to remember: always unplug your equipment (receivers AND power inserter) before working on the cable connections. The receivers (and PI) send power down the coax, and it is very easy to accidentally short something and fry some equipment. Only power up after all connections have been made.

spam firewall